Takeover at Somerset

Are ayr fans deluding themselves about being sleeping giants? Ayr as a premiership club(unlikely to happen in the first place) would be fine with 6000 capacity, 8000 would be more than enough. Take a look at the clubs around you, why would ayr attract much more away supporters than the sides currently in the league.

Because we're fucking super Ayr and you're no.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are ayr fans deluding themselves about being sleeping giants? Ayr as a premiership club(unlikely to happen in the first place) would be fine with 6000 capacity, 8000 would be more than enough. Take a look at the clubs around you, why would ayr attract much more away supporters than the sides currently in the league.

http://youtu.be/RQQK0VTTXvA

A stadium similar to Forthbank, but slightly larger, is what should be proposed IMO. Spend the money on a decent youth/fitness centre, something that can benefit the club for years to come rather than a stadium that will be filled 4 times a season, if that.

A stadium similar to Forthbank? :lol:

Do you not realise how absolutely shite that is? Would you be happy with that? Killie don't get over 5000 a week either, maybe they should pursue this absolutely shite option?

I'd rather a stadium that could be filled 4 times a season than have a mickey mouse ground like Stirling Albions.

Ayr's ground already holds 10,000. I don't see the issue. Build another one of the same size, have a grand opening, get the town really fucking excited, give them offers and let the fanbase grow.

Ayr could be pioneers of this if they do it right. It would be a really good thing.

A stadium along the lines of what Burton Albion have would be ideal for a team like Ayr (or Morton for that matter). Capacity of around 7,000, one stand seated, the others terracing. If you want more seats, maybe seat another of the stands, but the general idea is about the same. It may not be particularly interesting, but it would be perfect IMO.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/burton_albion/

A stadium along the lines of what Burton Albion have would be ideal for a team like Ayr (or Morton for that matter). Capacity of around 7,000, one stand seated, the others terracing. If you want more seats, maybe seat another of the stands, but the general idea is about the same. It may not be particularly interesting, but it would be perfect IMO.

This. Absolutely this.

The all-seater stadiums kill the atmosphere - and make it look emptier.

Something around the 7,000 mark sounds about right.

The poster who suggests that a PR campaign to create buzz around the town is all it would take to get the crowds back is underestimating the two biggest problems: a lack of quality, and over-pricing.

Ayr desperately need some better marketing but that's not a silver bullet.

A stadium similar to Forthbank? :lol:

Do you not realise how absolutely shite that is? Would you be happy with that? Killie don't get over 5000 a week either, maybe they should pursue this absolutely shite option?

I'd rather a stadium that could be filled 4 times a season than have a mickey mouse ground like Stirling Albions.

Ayr's ground already holds 10,000. I don't see the issue. Build another one of the same size, have a grand opening, get the town really fucking excited, give them offers and let the fanbase grow.

Ayr could be pioneers of this if they do it right. It would be a really good thing.

You are living in an absolute fantasy land boyo.

BUGGER YE! I was scrolling down hoping nobody would make the Burton comparison, hence the credit would come to my good self :P

You are spot on. Capacity is perfect and 3 sides of terracing would certainly please those of us who hate sitting at fitba games.

To be honest, I think anyone suggesting we'd get over 4-5,000 if we did some day get to the Prem are being unrealistic. New stadium or not, this will not change the fact that far too many people in this town are unwilling to support their local team.

To be honest, I think anyone suggesting we'd get over 4-5,000 if we did some day get to the Prem are being unrealistic. New stadium or not, this will not change the fact that far too many people in this town are unwilling to support their local team.

Hardly unique to Ayr. The only clubs that pull in average attendances above 5000 these days are the big city clubs. (St Johnstone have nosed over it this season, but it's the most successful period in their entire history.)

I'd be extremely surprised if anyone spouting daft lines about five-year Premiership plans would consent to putting in terracing that would need to be ripped out almost as soon as the concrete had dried. Bear in mind Burton weren't even a Football League side when their ground was built. That's by far the best configuration in the unlikely event that a stadium move ever happens though.

Hardly unique to Ayr. The only clubs that pull in average attendances above 5000 these days are the big city clubs. (St Johnstone have nosed over it this season, but it's the most successful period in their entire history.)

I'd be extremely surprised if anyone spouting daft lines about five-year Premiership plans would consent to putting in terracing that would need to be ripped out almost as soon as the concrete had dried. Bear in mind Burton weren't even a Football League side when their ground was built. That's by far the best configuration in the unlikely event that a stadium move ever happens though.

Not true

Not true

Yep, the rules since the inception of the SPFL do not state that your stadium needs to be all seated to play in the Premiership anymore. You actually only need to meet the same level to play in the Championship, which I believe is a stadium with a minimum capacity of 3,000, with 500 seats under cover, and high quality floodlights. So in theory, the stadium at Burton would be more than acceptable for current SPFL Premiership standards.

Yep, the rules since the inception of the SPFL do not state that your stadium needs to be all seated to play in the Premiership anymore. You actually only need to meet the same level to play in the Championship, which I believe is a stadium with a minimum capacity of 3,000, with 500 seats under cover, and high quality floodlights. So in theory, the stadium at Burton would be more than acceptable for current SPFL Premiership standards.

There are a few additional requirements for the Premiership which don't apply to the Championship such as a higher standard of media facilities, but it's the kind of thing that can be put in place very easily. In terms of capacity or terracing there are very few clubs in the top four divisions who wouldn't gain access to the top flight now: even Cowdenbeath would make it.

Obviously if your stadium's falling apart and it would cost more to improve it than to build a new one then moving to a new ground is a sensible option, but in terms of entry to the Premiership in the unlikely event they have to worry about it, Ayr would be fine with Somerset as it is.

I know I am a Killie fan and therefore who cares what I think. If you do you may doubt my sincerity but I would be sad to see Somerset go. I far prefer old stadiums with a bit of character. I do not think it would be that difficult to adapt Somerset, if needed, for a the top tier.

I obviously rarely go to Somerset but can Ayr fans confirm to whether the current stadium is capable of atmosphere for small four figure crowds and well for the occasional big cup attraction? I suspect it is easier to get n atmosphere with less than in some soul-less out of town new stadium.

Stadiums like Somerset, Rugby Park, Easter Road and Tyncastle should be listed buildings with all the history and community memories they generate.

Of course they need to modernise like improving toilet facilities and access to the away end but that would not be big undertaking.

Burton looks dreadful from the outside though, except for the main stand. It just looks like a long concrete wall and could be anything when you drive past.

I think though the one main stand of 3-5,000 and the rest terracing with the option of changing to seats if required is the way to go, as long as there is a bit of thought that goes into to the design and they are not boxy looking

Burton looks dreadful from the outside though, except for the main stand. It just looks like a long concrete wall and could be anything when you drive past.

I think though the one main stand of 3-5,000 and the rest terracing with the option of changing to seats if required is the way to go, as long as there is a bit of thought that goes into to the design and they are not boxy looking

We could taper the ends for you, what colour were you thinking?

We could taper the ends for you, what colour were you thinking?

black and white would be fine :)

I just dont really like the standard 4 separate stands / terraces all the new stadiums seem to be, the corners need to be filled in with something even if the 3 sides are continous as a terrace with a main stand would be better

black and white would be fine :)

I just dont really like the standard 4 separate stands / terraces all the new stadiums seem to be, the corners need to be filled in with something even if the 3 sides are continous as a terrace with a main stand would be better

The gaps kill the atmosphere, I like being able to walk around stadiums like Somerset, Station Park etc. Being stuck in the one stand is a bit meh.

I agree that the gaps kill the atmosphere. The only recent stadium i can think of that bucked the trend is Livingston's. Something like that is far preferable to the Airdrie/St Mirren/St Johnstone-esque four box stands which have about as much design flair and character as a modern supermarket.

I agree that the gaps kill the atmosphere. The only recent stadium i can think of that bucked the trend is Livingston's. Something like that is far preferable to the Airdrie/St Mirren/St Johnstone-esque four box stands which have about as much design flair and character as a modern supermarket.

If only we knew who designed Airdrie's.

Archived