Would the UK be better off...

bowmore

If Scotland does follow independence?

Hopes, dreams and fears aside, lets see some facts.

(the remaining UK that is)

Only Labour or Tories will win the next GE. Agreed?

The Tories aren't even halfway through their devastating austerity cuts and Miliband has promised to follow the Conservatives spending cuts.

So, in short, the UK is fucked.

Now, as a start, do we condemn 65 million people to that horrific future? Or does a small section of the UK breakaway and show how things can be done differently? Think of the possibilities, don't think of the negatives.

This might have been discussed elsewhere but what is swinging it for me is the simple idea of decentralisation. More than ever over the last 20 years we have seen the distribution of power and resources being taken away from regions around Scotland who have their own individual needs and requirements. To me, its a start removing authority from London.

My take on independence is that its only a method in being able to run this country better than before, the idea of independence simply for the sake of it has no appeal for me, its simply a way of handing power back to people who are closest.

If the majority of the population can organise themselves in the way the Yes campaign have, and force through some serious decentralization that see's the majority of the countries resources spread about the majority of the country, then a Yes vote will be a fantastic thing for rUK.

Hopes, dreams and fears aside, lets see some facts.

(the remaining UK that is)

No, obviously not. If the rUK would be better off without Scotland, WM would drop us like a stone.

The very fact that they are campaigning so hard, albeit badly, is pretty strong proof that the rUK would be worse off without Scotland.

Losing Scotland to the poundzone (Poundland ;) ) would hammer the balance of trade and could very seriously weakening the £. Worst case scenario is if this scares the "investors" who have parked very serious money into empty flats in the London property market (using it like art and gold) if there is a small run on posh flats, others might stampeded to liquidate their assets and get out before they lose too much. Things could get ugly. With those "highly gearing ratios of leverage" entities blowing up in the same kinds of puffs of smoke that took out Wachovia, Lehman, Bear Stearn and friends. This is unlikely to happen, but unlikely does not mean impossible.

The risks of yes for both economies are very real and very scary. Just not as certain as they are painted by some in the media.

This indecision's buggin' me (Indecisión me molesta)
If you don't want me, set me free (Si no me quieres, librame)
Exactly whom I'm supposed to be (Dime! ¿Qué tengo ser?)
Don't you know which clothes even fit me? (¿Sabes que ropa me quedar?)
Come on and let me know (Pero tienes que decir)
Should I cool it or should I blow? (¿Me debo ir o quedarme?)

The question really should be, do we someone restrict our country to benefit another country that waits until 2 days before a referendum to present their key policy?

Would the EU be better off without the UK in it? No it wouldn't but you don't see those down South using that as an excuse to stay in the union, it's all about how they will be better off outside of it.

Archived