A response to 'Why All True Scots' - We Are All True Scots

Granny Danger

f**k all this patriotism, nationalism, proud to be British/Scottish shite - it's not about that, and it never has been - just vote YES, so that the people in this country are able to vote in the government they want, and vote out governments that are unsatisfactory.

This is it for me. Every other country in the world would vote for this in a similar position, and not one would vote to lose it if they already had it.

Are you actually having a laugh?

11.png

• Scotland GDP p/capita = $47,369
  • Germany GDP p/capita = $43,855
  • UK GDP p/capita = $41,066
  • New Zealand GDP p/capita =$39,840

1% of the population of the EU

60% of the oil reserves of the EU

25% of the fish stocks of the EU

20% of the renewable energy of the EU

Then factor in a few savings:

BxgzEDGCUAAvvGB.jpg

Plus the wonderful people who live here:

BxgZ9LyIEAA3VZb.jpg

Getting the picture yet?

Just like to correct a couple of the savings there.

HS2 currently forecast at £56bn. Original HS cost £7bn for just 11 miles train track. Additional line up to Hertfordshire already on the table over an bone.

London Sewer will be £4bn in total. First two contract alone total £1.3bn.

Olympics £9bn.

Crossrail is £16bn - got your decimal in the wrong place.

Moreover, Boris recently announced London needs £135bn over the next three decades just to keep the transport moving.

Where's the evidence that voting for independence will make a better Scotland? Also I have as much right to turn up at Scotland games supporting Scotland as you have. The irony of this post is that you don't even allow for a contrary opinion.

I've noticed you are a bit of contrarian on these threads yourself Banterous absolutely no problems with that, we always need and benefit from a diverse range of opinions.

But let me ask you a question. Never mind the fact that Cameron and Milliband have only ever spoken to hand-picked audiences on their forays north, why have they both concentrated almost exclusively on broad-brush 'heart and heritage' rhetoric when there was ample opportunity to detail policy specifics, offer reasoned critiques and lay out ideas germane to the Scottish people. A cogent rebuttal of the Yes campaign.

I can only assume that they felt that this was unsafe territory, particularly for Cameron, as it would demand that people then focus on a whole raft of Westminster policies which are anathema to many people in Scotland and elsewhere in the UK. And that's the nub of it, on Thursday people will vote Yes not because of devotion to the SNP, nor narrow nationalism, nor misty-eyed romance, but more importantly a hard-headed pragmatic consideration of the best way forward for Scotland.

What say you ?

I've noticed you are a bit of contrarian on these threads yourself Banterous absolutely no problems with that, we always need and benefit from a diverse range of opinions.

But let me ask you a question. Never mind the fact that Cameron and Milliband have only ever spoken to hand-picked audiences on their forays north, why have they both concentrated almost exclusively on broad-brush 'heart and heritage' rhetoric when there was ample opportunity to detail policy specifics, offer reasoned critiques and lay out ideas germane to the Scottish people. A cogent rebuttal of the Yes campaign.

I can only assume that they felt that this was unsafe territory, particularly for Cameron, as it would demand that people then focus on a whole raft of Westminster policies which are anathema to many people in Scotland and elsewhere in the UK. And that's the nub of it, on Thursday people will vote Yes not because of devotion to the SNP, nor narrow nationalism, nor misty-eyed romance, but more importantly a hard-headed pragmatic consideration of the best way forward for Scotland.

What say you ?

I don't think they want to impose anything on Scotland yet and that would be unwise to discuss UK wide policies. The devolved powers need to be agreed upon and that wil involve consultation with Holyrood; Alex Salmond has manipulated an antagonistic situation. The Yes policies are non existent so there's nothing to criticize.

I say that it's a risk to vote for non-existent policies which include starting over. No currency? FGS!!! Can you not see how insane voting for independence all is????

f**k all this patriotism, nationalism, proud to be British/Scottish shite - it's not about that, and it never has been - just vote YES, so that the people in this country are able to vote in the government they want, and vote out governments that are unsatisfactory.

Not quite true that it's not all about that shite though.

I want independence for the reason you gave plus many others like creating equality, reducing defence spending etc etc, I could go on all day. I'll be honest though, the main underlying reason below all of them is that I want the people of Scotland to believe in themselves again. I hate how negative we can be about ourselves, in what other country would there be more tax money raised than spent on services and the people still think their public services are a gift from elsewhere?

The only way we'll ever believe in ourselves is to stand up and run our own affairs, if we vote no the idea that we're "too wee, too poor, too stupid" will always be there in the background, in fact it'll be worse than ever when just under half the country believe we can't even win a referendum because we shat ourselves. The up-surge in positive thinking and belief in our country from everyone on the yes side has made me proud to be Scottish for the first time in years, IMO a yes vote could do unbelievable things for our national confidence and I shudder to think about us turning that down. If that makes me a nationalist then I'll take it.

I can't be bothered with breast-beating/flag waving, whether it's Scottish, British, or whatever. Nationalism/patriotism can be a dangerous thing.

I like what you're saying, though - this is a chance for us to try to transform Scotland from what it currently is to what we would hope that it can be.

The kind of self-belief you're talking about will never be inspired by empty suits like Cameron - I suspect the lack of self-belief might come from having to suffer a government that very few people in Scotland have ever voted for - when that kind of thing happens time after time, can people really be blamed for thinking 'What's the fucking point?'

Many changes need to be made - the first change has to be a Scottish government, independent of the rest of the UK - if we can't influence who governs us, how can we hope to change anything else?

I don't think they want to impose anything on Scotland yet and that would be unwise to discuss UK wide policies. The devolved powers need to be agreed upon and that wil involve consultation with Holyrood; Alex Salmond has manipulated an antagonistic situation. The Yes policies are non existent so there's nothing to criticize.

I say that it's a risk to vote for non-existent policies which include starting over. No currency? FGS!!! Can you not see how insane voting for independence all is????

The Yes policies are non-existant so have faith in the unspecified devolved powers? Seriously?

Archived