Got no personal greivence against them but they are a pretty useless company who won't be missed. Their competitors are also their suppliers so I'm surprised they've stayed around so long.

The owners have no doubt got stinking rich and now it seems they are simply going to pull the plug rather than waste money trying to adapt and save the business.

So is this move all about more profit for Vodafone & EE as they can sell direct rather than through a broker, in this case Phones4U?

Probably. Optus (Australia's No2 telco) has done exactly the same thing here. Finished long standing contracts with resellers so they could "keep more control of the brand" and how it was being promote and sold. Ie cut out the middle man.

I'm amazed this hasn't happened long before now, if I'm honest. There's absolutely no need for shops like Carphone Warehouse and Phones4u.

Even the name Carphone Warehouse is an anachronism, since it's not a warehouse and they don't really sell carphones.

Interesting that 3 out of the 4 original phone providers have changed their names... BT Cellnet to O2, One 2 One to T Mobile, who then leapt into bed with Orange and became EE.

I dislike Phones4u simply for the ridiculous use of "4" and "u".

I wonder if there'll be any of the bizarre, nostalgic pish that followed the expiry of "beloved high street fixture Woolies"...

Us Brits really don't like change.

A lot of people (sad c**ts) seem to suffer a depression when things change.

I've heard far too many people using this also as a reason to vote no.

'Better the devil you know' and 'We've done it this way for years' are 2 of the sentences that are gonnae trigger my rage spree.

Shouldn't the good old uk stop this from happening?

No, a company shouldn't be getting subsidies to fill gaps in their finances or bailouts, as that is crony capitalism. Politicians do it purely for political reasons, because their thinking is all short term in terms of the next election and the people who'll lose their jobs.

Sake, I've got a Vodafone contract with this mob. Expires in January mind.

You'll probably get a phone call very soon letting you cut short your contract and take out a new one (with Vodafone naturally). It actually worked out okay for me as I got a new phone about 3 months early (from O2).

Archived