Dundee: What's it like..

DA Baracus

...as a place in which to live? I mean like pubs, things to do, how much shit costs, not getting mugged and raped etc.

I stayed there for the first year of uni when I was at Abertay from 02 to 03 but I barely remember any of that (strangely I recall much of the period where I was shitfaced most nights; it's the time after that where I think my brain had the equivalent of a hard drive crash; seriously, there are whole months that are a terrifying blank in my head) and I imagine it's changed greatly since then.

I ask as I'm starting a job up there soon and I'm moving up there (got a pretty sweet flat just off Dens Road).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...as a place in which to live? I mean like pubs, things to do, how much shit costs, not getting mugged and raped etc.

I stayed there for the first year of uni when I was at Abertay from 02 to 03 but I barely remember any of that (strangely I recall much of the period where I was shitfaced most nights; it's the time after that where I think my brain had the equivalent of a hard drive crash; seriously, there are whole months that are a terrifying blank in my head) and I imagine it's changed greatly since then.

I ask as I'm starting a job up there soon and I'm moving up there (got a pretty sweet flat just off Dens Road).

Teckle. It's just pure teckle.

Decent night out along the perh road , plenty of good boozers there, or night out in the ferry - calling both of those teckle.

Lots of good Indian restaurants along said Perth road- also teckle.

Lots of students with associated japes and capers - teckle

No problem finding a local near where you are with lots of local worthies to while away the hours between darts tournies - teckle

Visochies in the ferry for ice creams and then a fish supper from murries- teckle

The fishermans pub/ the ship in the ferry- talk like a pirate teckle

Could go on but I think you get my drift. Welcome to Dundee, a nuclear free zone!

Dundee's a great city. It took me a bit of time to settle in but once I was I loved it there. Perth Road is its own wee community with plenty to do and the city centre is stuffed full of decent pubs. With it being such a small city most of the best things about the place are all within walking distance of each other. Only thing that let it down was not having a cinema in the centre but if I'm not wrong they're rectifying that in the next few years.

The next 10-15 years in Dundee will be fucking fantastic. I have lived here nearly my whole life and there is no doubting it was a total hole back in the late 80s and early 90s, but in the last 10 years (and in the next 10-15) it has really transformed itself.

Archived