Ex BBC Editor slams BBC for it's anti-independence spin

Casual Bystander

Mark Hirst - The BBC's former Business Editor, Paul Mason, has launched a stinging attack on the British state broadcaster over its coverage of the Scottish independence campaign.

Mason, who worked for the BBC for 12 years before becoming Economics Editor at Channel 4 News in 2013, wrote on his Facebook page that, "Not since Iraq have I seen BBC News working at propaganda strength like this. So glad I'm out of there."

Later in an official blog written for Channel 4 News Mason again attacked coverage of Deutsche Bank's warnings that an independent Scotland would lead to a 1930"s economic depression in Scotland.

(source)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But...but...it's all paranoia!

I've actually been surprised and hugely disappointed by the BBC, to me it seems they have stopped reporting the debate in Scotland, and outside Scotland, to actually participating in it, some of their "reports" are beyond the pale when you consider their "charter" is.

Regardless of the outcome, the BBC have been tainted by their, lets be generous, partial reporting. I pay for them I want to hear even handed and honest reporting from them, I'm, we're not getting that

I've been on the record as saying I don't mind the BBC being bias. After all it is massively in their interests for the union to remain. However what has been underhanded and down right pathetic is that the BBC refuse to even accept there is even a conflict of interest.

The (rough) analogy is a keeper you have on loan to another club in the same league who keeps on letting in easy goals resulting in your team qualifying for Europe. While nobody can prove an out and out intent there is an obvious conflict of interest.

Just tweeted by Frankie Boyle:

Saw that live and I still find it very suspicious. I do wonder what happened to her. The reporter seemed slightly flustered when they came back to her and looked behind her as if to make sure things were settled again. I personally think that she was on a delay and they cut it when some trouble started up.

Just arrived at work after spending a bit of time at the protest at the BBC building. Thousands there and hundreds more still arriving in cars and on foot when I had to leave, so if they don't report it properly, it's because they don't want you to know about it.

At one point, people were singing, "You can stick your TV license up your arse", but the atmosphere was good-natured and not at all aggressive, so I'm going to expect: "FOUL-MOUTHED NATIONALIST MOB BESIEGE BBC - 'I FEARED FOR MY LIFE', SAYS DISGUSTED JACKIE BIRD".

I've been watching BBC News (on mute, admittedly) while I watch the protest. Whenever they cut to a new story I turn it back up to see if they've said anything, but I haven't heard a word about it. They've shown quite a few long shots of Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh. It's honestly unbelievable.

I missed what terminal illness the woman had earlier who planted a banner on Edinburgh Castle, but she was seriously inspirational. I was extremely close to tears.

I wonder who's helicopter it was earlier on. It must've been one of the news companies.

I've been watching BBC News (on mute, admittedly) while I watch the protest. Whenever they cut to a new story I turn it back up to see if they've said anything, but I haven't heard a word about it. They've shown quite a few long shots of Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh. It's honestly unbelievable.

I missed what terminal illness the woman had earlier who planted a banner on Edinburgh Castle, but she was seriously inspirational. I was extremely close to tears.

I wonder who's helicopter it was earlier on. It must've been one of the news companies.

I've had BBC news chanel on all day and nothing has been mentioned regarding the protest

Archived