Dundee vs Dundee Utd - 21/09/14

Sorted Biggie ;)

St. Mirren have played some good passing football this season and have created plenty chances/half chances, it's been far from pretty for them.

Dundee's success so far this season certainly has nothing to do with the playing attractive football, it's to do with hard work and being well organised. I'm not saying Dundee can't get that ball down and play a bit, when you pass teams off the park week in, week out, picking up big score lines along the way you can say your team play pretty football. However this is not the case for Dundee, Hartley has set Dundee out not to lose in every game, in these games there has been spells where Dundee play good football, but Dundee are far from a footballing side, they haven't played a team off the park yet.

I do agree though if both teams get the ball down and play a passing game it should be a great game, however this will not happen. One team will gain a foothold in the match and the other will revert to countering.(Probably us.)

For what its worth, I thought we were very lucky against a very good St. Mirren team but we did what we needed to do and put one past them. They had chances but not good ones, it was a couple of weeks ago but I don't think I was too worried about them. As myself and others have posted (admittedly biased Dundee fans) our game has come on leaps and bounds and its no surprise that we defend the way we're playing, every Dee I've spoken to is more than happy with us this season and that includes the 'style' that we play. While the whole 'playing off the park' stuff is very subjective surely you can see that us coming up from the league below and not just grinding out results but (for a lot of us) coming away from games saying we should have won (or should have won by more) is telling. Apart from the St. Mirren game we were pretty gash against Partick Thistle in the first half but the better team in the second and thats about it for poor games.

Yes we are well organised and very fit, probably the fittest ( :wub: ) Dundee team I've ever seen but this is the foundation that our passing game is built on. Whatever the score on Sunday, we've played some pretty good stuff, especially as its effectively a new team, PH has done a brilliant job of getting guys in and making them a unit. We could do with either a younger fitter Peaso or that mythical 20 goal a season striker and we'd have had a lot more wins now.

I'm not getting ahead of myself, theres still a lot of football to be played and if we have a couple more injuries to key people we don't have the strength in depth to fill the gaps but that doesn't take anything away from good 'sexy' football we've played so far.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not been easy in recent years being a Dundee fan but this is a good Dundee team and one that is capable of beating United. United clearly still the favourites and have that extra quality,no doubt (although that would be hampered if Ciftci and Armstrong are both out).

The dynamic is different from the first derby 2 years ago. I thought then that Dundee would likely get a hiding and I was right. This time, I think they can sneak it. Hopefully, I'm right again

Dunno about that, I'd say yous seem more worried now that Ciftci is out.

Ciftci will be a big loss for us, no doubt about it. So is our only recognised, experienced LB being out.

Despite Morris's fresh air shot gifting Hamilton a goal on Saturday, him and Fojut have looked pretty solid. If Rankin and Paton can play to their max and Armstrong and/or Dow are fit then we will offer more of a game.

Gutted I'm missing it.

Sorted Biggie ;)

St. Mirren have played some good passing football this season and have created plenty chances/half chances, it's been far from pretty for them.

Dundee's success so far this season certainly has nothing to do with the playing attractive football, it's to do with hard work and being well organised. I'm not saying Dundee can't get that ball down and play a bit, when you pass teams off the park week in, week out, picking up big score lines along the way you can say your team play pretty football. However this is not the case for Dundee, Hartley has set Dundee out not to lose in every game, in these games there has been spells where Dundee play good football, but Dundee are far from a footballing side, they haven't played a team off the park yet.

I do agree though if both teams get the ball down and play a passing game it should be a great game, however this will not happen. One team will gain a foothold in the match and the other will revert to countering.(Probably us.)

Cant disagree with this.

Away to have a word with myself for agreeing with a filthy DAB

don't know if it has been mentioned on this thread but Dundee food banks are asking for donations before the game am sure all fans can take something with them to help this cause.

It would pain me too much to hand over a £1 loaf of bread to the foodbank folks then go and spend £17.50 on a pie and cup coffee

Looks like Armstrong and dow will be fit for the game. I think both teams are well matched and we'll have to watch out for gms in particular. Hopefully we can stop him getting it in space.

We get this shite before every derby from them, going back as far as I can remember.........'so and so's' injured, or 'so and so' isn't going to make it, come kick off time they are always there, prancing around with the dayglo shirt on, fit as a fiddle.

We get this shite before every derby from them, going back as far as I can remember.........'so and so's' injured, or 'so and so' isn't going to make it, come kick off time they are always there, prancing around with the dayglo shirt on, fit as a fiddle.

Yeah it was all an elaborate hoax. We even went to the lengths of giving them last weekend off and sticking Chris fuckin Erskine up front as a striker to throw you all off the scent.

Damn you Detective Bigmouth, your smarts know no bounds

We've been known to dabble in it from time to time, even John Clown tried it (poorly) on occasion :lol:

Archived