Balkan Beat Box

Casual Bystander

Got any love for Balkan Beat Box? Wiki describes them as..

..an Israeli musical group founded by Tamir Muskat, Ori Kaplan and now including Tomer Yosef as a core member. The group plays Mediterranean-influenced music that incorporates Jewish, Eastern European (mainly Balkan) and Middle eastern traditions, Gypsy punk, and electronica.

The reason I mention it is that their album Give (which was released in 2012, so a few years back) has been on almost solid rotation on my MP3 player for the last 3 weeks or so, I'm guessing I should see if anyone is a fan or even if they've heard of them before.

This the full album:

They have a certain sound that I think if you are not used to will need a couple of listens (there are certainly some hooky tracks, especially Political f**k which is #3 on the album). If you like a bit of fusion music with left wing sensibilities then this might be you bag.

Tomer Yosef is one of only two people I've seen flaunt the smoking ban, the other being an aul' toothless jakey in the Western Bar on GWR who no-one had the heart to reprimand.

Quite good live.

Bit jealous, I'd love to see them live. Spent a few months living in Amsterdam about 4 years ago and there was a club (Club 8 I think it's called) that had a regular Balkan DJ set and I think it has the other lad (Tamir) there one night. I didn't realise until about a week later when someone mentioned it.

Used to be right into all the Balkan/Central-East Europe stuff a few years ago. Not sure if they're still going, but those Balkanarama club nights were occasionally quite fun. They did one to coincide with the Celtic Connections festival where Besh O Drom played and it was magic. Probably the best I saw was Shantel in Graz when I was over there - not one for dancing but gied it laldy that night.

It all eventually got a bit smug, where all you had to do was have a passable ability on the trumpet, an Oxbridge education, and a stupid pork-pie hat and you too could be in Orkestra de Life or something w**k like that. Every second song was a version of Bubamara, I got bored, and went back to listening to Flipper.

Nowadays, I'll sometimes sigh wistfully, stick on Fanfare Ciocarlia, and remember Bukovina. Not really.

• 4 weeks later...

Fucking love Balkan music! It was Bucovina Club that got me into it, plus with further investigation got some Boban and Marko Markovic, plus Mahala Raibanda, Goran Bregovic, Fanfare Ciocarlia and others, and sampling stuff from the wider region.

Went to see Besh o Drom at Celtic Connections (I know) and they were phenomenal. One of the best gigs ever.

Dream come true would be to go to Guca, a trubace festival outside of Belgrade, where a wee village of 2,000 gets invaded by 600,000 every year! Looks fucking mental. I would suggest that when going to such a place you wear the cheapest shit you can find and don't carry any valuables, plus get in contact with some locals first. Had a jam with an authentic Serbian trubace band while in Slovenia. Great bunch of guys and so fucking talented. They're now our contact if we ever want to go. It's well and truly on the bucket list.

Used to be right into all the Balkan/Central-East Europe stuff a few years ago. Not sure if they're still going, but those Balkanarama club nights were occasionally quite fun. They did one to coincide with the Celtic Connections festival where Besh O Drom played and it was magic. Probably the best I saw was Shantel in Graz when I was over there - not one for dancing but gied it laldy that night.

It all eventually got a bit smug, where all you had to do was have a passable ability on the trumpet, an Oxbridge education, and a stupid pork-pie hat and you too could be in Orkestra de Life or something w**k like that. Every second song was a version of Bubamara, I got bored, and went back to listening to Flipper.

Nowadays, I'll sometimes sigh wistfully, stick on Fanfare Ciocarlia, and remember Bukovina. Not really.

I was at that gig too. Magic night. Hope they play here again. I play a lot of celtic music but avoid the standard Celtic Connections fodder like the fucking plague. All style no substance soul-less shite. Instead I'm always on the look out for a fringe act like a Balkan type band or Americana. Rougher the better. Although I did go to see Swedish group Vasen in January and it has to be probably the finest band I've ever seen.

Archived