After the vote

bowmore

If it's a Yes then make sure it damn well works.

If it's a No then make sure that folk work together to get real Devo Max powers and not just some minor fiscal equalisation.

This.

No point in spitting the dummy, have to make sure that whatever happens people continue to try to work towards what's best for Scotland

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This.

I agree too.

I hope after a No vote the SNP don't throw their toys out of the pram again and actually behave like adults.

If it's a Yes vote, work within the new structure and get on with it.

I agree too.

I hope after a No vote the SNP don't throw their toys out of the pram again and actually behave like adults.

If it's a Yes vote, work within the new structure and get on with it.

I worry both ways with the two largest parties. Will Labour bury the hatchet with the SNP to do what's best for an independent Scotland if it is a yes, and will the SNP throw the toys out of the pram as you put it if it is a no? I am sure if it is a no Labour will want to rub the SNP's nose in it at every turn. It has become an obsession with them

I worry both ways with the two largest parties. Will Labour bury the hatchet with the SNP to do what's best for an independent Scotland if it is a yes, and will the SNP throw the toys out of the pram as you put it if it is a no? I am sure if it is a no Labour will want to rub the SNP's nose in it at every turn. It has become an obsession with them

They need to become electable again though.

I have no faith in Scottish Labour mind you. It's a collection of utter dross. Any party that Lamont can rise to the top in has possible unreconcilable problems.

They need to become electable again though.

I have no faith in Scottish Labour mind you. It's a collection of utter dross. Any party that Lamont can rise to the top in has possible unreconcilable problems.

From what I've seen of the MP's down south there isn't even anyone who could be drafted in to run them come 2016.

From what I've seen of the MP's down south there isn't even anyone who could be drafted in to run them come 2016.

Thing is, there will be plenty of decent candidates in the ranks. On a purely numerical basis, there have to be!

It's just how they get through. Maybe they need to do something radical - go for a very young candidate, someone with a more academic background than a Steamie clothes folder.

Thing is, there will be plenty of decent candidates in the ranks. On a purely numerical basis, there have to be!

It's just how they get through. Maybe they need to do something radical - go for a very young candidate, someone with a more academic background than a Steamie clothes folder.

Radical is definitely the word. Otherwise they may end up becoming permanently unelectable, and that would be a terrible thing for democracy. You undoubtedly need a strong opposition to a government. I've met a lot of good and capable younger people from all persuasions over the last few months. Getting rid of the dinosaurs who are so stuck in their ways they are blind to the reality of what is happening has to be the way ahead. They certainly need to review their list strategy for the next election. IMO That is the whole reason why Lamont has ended up where she is. Best of a bad bunch.

If it's a Yes then make sure it damn well works.

If it's a No then make sure that folk work together to get real Devo Max powers and not just some minor fiscal equalisation.

This.

It would be insanely hypocritical for Yes supporters to have spent all this time arguing that the people of Scotland should control the destiny of Scotland and then throw a hissy fit when the people of Scotland make a democratic decision they don't like.

It will also be hypocritical for those in the No camp who have been arguing "in representative democracy is impossible for everyone to get what they want the whole time" to refuse to accept it.

Whichever way it goes the aftermath will be ugly. The likes of the Orange Order will not cope at all well if it's a Yes and if there is a no vote we will see quite clearly that "cybernats" and extreme-Nationalists definitely do exist.

I think a lot of people have forgotten that if there is a Yes then there's going to be years of negotiating. The same people who have been flinging shite at each other for years are going to have to sit down and work together. It is not going to be a pretty process, if people think that Westminster is unkind to Scotland now just wait until it's in the political interests of them to play hardball with us during negotiations. It'll make the last year or so seem positively pleasant.

If it's a No vote, I will never vote in a UK election again. No point. Can't line up behind any of these groups after their incredible negativity. I will vote in a Scottish election in the hope that the Yes campaign voters stand behind their convictions.

If it's Yes then I'll try to be decent about the win.

That would be a big mistake - I already think the SNP will romp the next Scotland-only elections no matter which way the vote goes. If it were No and Labour go into gloat mode the SNP will get a landslide - and quite possibly a mandate for serious devo max.

That would be a big mistake - I already think the SNP will romp the next Scotland-only elections no matter which way the vote goes. If it were No and Labour go into gloat mode the SNP will get a landslide - and quite possibly a mandate for serious devo max.

I agree it would be a massive mistake, but when you see the bitter slevvering fools who are at the helm, can you really see any other outcome?

I really can't see any way at all that there would be any sort of currency union though.

I don't want to sound inflammatory but the pound is the UK currency. Imagine if this was Wales looking to leave the UK but wanting to keep the pound whilst being able to borrow and spend with it's own distinct strategy. Your and my pensions and pockets would be directly linked to the succes of this new Wales. I mention in the other thread about the banks relocating registrations to London to remain under the security of the pound. I'd be more inclined to listen to Westminster and the bank of England than any campaign spin on the matter, as the gov have a duty to it's citizens. I could see sterligisation/a manx type pound or even the euro.

I want the best for you all but if you go I don't want my mortgage, income pensions etc to be linked to the project.

I can see why you have your reservations if that's your starting premise.

The Bank of England have said nothing of any interest or relevance on the issue of currency. "Westminster", as you put, are actively lobbying against Independence - hardly an impartial source. I do like the bit about the government having a duty to its citizens though.

If it's a No vote, I will never vote in a UK election again. No point. Can't line up behind any of these groups after their incredible negativity. I will vote in a Scottish election in the hope that the Yes campaign voters stand behind their convictions.

If it's a No you'll still have the option of SNP at Westminster, or the Greens for that matter. I've voted both Labour and Lib Dem in the past. That won't be happening again after their antics these last few weeks.

I'm probably similar. If it's No, then I'll accept it, but probably lose interest again in politics, as I've felt for the last few years that it didn't really matter who got in at Westminster - the same policies would be adopted. Yes is an exciting chance to build a new country.

If it's a No you'll still have the option of SNP at Westminster, or the Greens for that matter. I've voted both Labour and Lib Dem in the past. That won't be happening again after their antics these last few weeks.

Yeah I'll probably now vote for them in Westminster elections - I haven't voted for years - but only because I've been tired of the argument about Westminster voting share used against Yes this campaign.

Similarly, Labour is dead to me now.

No point. I'll accept the one of Cameron or Milliband will be in power and I'm not being part of it any more.

How well does the 'young candidate' approach work, though? That's the thinking that got William 'baseball cap' Hague to lead the Tories, and Milliband to head Labour. It's would also bring power Kezia Dugdale, who is an intellectual car crash.

I'd wonder if Brown would come back to lead Scottish Labour.

Has anyone else noticed H_B's complete and utter change of tack?

I only just realised the other night but it's clear that he's been stealing all of Alex Massie's patter for the last eighteen months. Massie used terms like "toy parliament" and said the SNP were on the right when he was on the telly the other night.

Archived