After the vote

bowmore

Firstly, hello :thumsup2

The internet has brought me here, so here I am, questions in tow.

I'm watching this debate unfold, as is everyone, with real fascination and to be honest haven't got a clue which side will get the nod as it really does seem to be that close.

Here's a question then...If it is split with roughly 50% wanting to stay part of the UK and the other 50% wanting to leave how will that pan out after the vote? It seems that a lot of people are extremely passionate about the issue so one side is going to feel incredibly pee'd off next week.

Is this fracture going to be something that can easily be brushed over or this now a very real split in the population of Scotland?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's a close no vote I can see a lot of problems after the next Westminster elections when the new government shaft Scotland for it's cheek.

If it's a close Yes I think a small element of the loyalist brand of unionists will try to cause problems, but the vast majority of folk will get on with their lives and do what they can to make things work.

It's a fair question and I genuinely think there will be problems if it's a No vote, too many working class and politically active people will vote Yes and then be told to accept the status quo in the name of democracy, even if it's only a 51% or so victory for No.

I don't think there will be the same problems with a Yes vote as a lot of people who will vote No will have toyed with the idea of voting Yes, perhaps put off by fear, they will just get on with it and probably be quite happy with the result.

I doubt there will be many people who have moved from Yes to No in the last two years and the passion on the ground is all about Yes.

That said I think Yes will win comfortable so I don't foresee any civil unrest. 8)

Firstly, hello :thumsup2

The internet has brought me here, so here I am, questions in tow.

I'm watching this debate unfold, as is everyone, with real fascination and to be honest haven't got a clue which side will get the nod as it really does seem to be that close.

Here's a question then...If it is split with roughly 50% wanting to stay part of the UK and the other 50% wanting to leave how will that pan out after the vote? It seems that a lot of people are extremely passionate about the issue so one side is going to feel incredibly pee'd off next week.

Is this fracture going to be something that can easily be brushed over or this now a very real split in the population of Scotland?

All I can say is if it's Yes it will be onward to a new future and change for the better IMHO. If it's No then this offer of new powers better be a good one ( A Very Good Offer and we will be the judge of that not the Labour Party or any others) because if it is not it could damage Labour for years to come and the Labour support that wanted to vote Yes might not come back as the Scots have a knack for recognising a bad deal when they see it, and wont be shy in telling you so. If it's 50-50 and an even split I don't know what happens next, a re-run who knows?. :huh:

Is this fracture going to be something that can easily be brushed over

Yes, people wont give a toss regardless of the result.

They will get on with their lives quite happily. It isn't that important.

It's a fair question and I genuinely think there will be problems if it's a No vote, too many working class and politically active people will vote Yes and then be told to accept the status quo in the name of democracy,

Democracy really does get in the way eh?

Democracy really does get in the way eh?

I don't really know, as a Scotsman living in the UK I can't say I've ever felt part of a democratic society before.

My point was, that if it's 51/49 or so either way it will be much harder for the Yes voters to take than the No voter, in my opinion. It's a democratic result so we have to live with it, it doesn't mean we have to like it.

What is the date that is penned in for Independence actually happening? Some time in 2016. I'll need to book my flights early...

24th March 2016 will be Independence Day, something to do with the SG elections in May 2016 and a set amount of time required before that.

My point was, that if it's 51/49 or so either way it will be much harder for the Yes voters to take than the No voter, in my opinion.

Why? Both Yes supporters and No supporters need to understand that if they lose it's because the will of the people of Scotland is for the alternative.

That's democracy. If more people vote Yes than No I will happily accept the result as the will of the people expressed.

What's embarrassing is when you have people trying to make any excuse for the defeat that doesn't involve their side just not being popular enough. Which is in fact what will be the cause of any defeat.

If it is a no vote I fear for apathy taking over the electorate as those that have been energised in the political process will walk away dissolutioned with politics once more. An opportunity lost sadly. If a yes vote an enthusiastic electorate won't settle for the kind of self serving politics that has been the norm up to now. On p&b we can get back to pointing and laughing at sevco ,-)

If it is a no vote I fear for apathy taking over the electorate as those that have been energised in the political process will walk away dissolutioned with politics once more.

I don't see why anyone should be disillusioned with politics because they lost a referendum.

There's nothing stopping a Yes vote other than not enough Scottish voters wanting it.

I don't see why anyone should be disillusioned with politics because they lost a referendum.

There's nothing stopping a Yes vote other than not enough Scottish voters wanting it.

You would be correct if it was a level playing field with equal media coverage, it isn't though.

Archived