English Clubs in the LL

inthepink

Always comic how some middle-class Scots can never bring themselves to criticise Celtic directly. The name Celtic Nation and the green and white hoops made it abundantly clear whose Trojan horse this was meant to be.

I know we are straying miles off the topic like but you've got me intrigued here Lurky, how do you determine someone's class from that post?

I'm quite interested in class, so I'm not taking the pish (this time).

It appears to me that up here (Edinburgh) the classes (working & middle class) mix far more than down where I was brought up (north Manchester) unless I was just unconscious of the mix before?

I take it you are working class, I get that class is more of an issue for us, whilst middle classes tend to be more "classless", well the folk I've met anyway.

Is there a "class" thread in the Politics or Gen Nonsense forums?

Might have to start one if not, I know we've got a lot of Uni lads on here too but that's not always a bad thing? ;)

Grimbo

Grimbo,

It's nowt more that Loyal Orange Lodge, er I mean Long Term Lurker seeing Cufflink tendencies & Potpourri sympathies at every corner. The "working class" crap is a veneer they like to smear on to make themselves more acceptable - in the same way fox hunters call themselves "countryside guardians" & far right bigots "patriots".

As you can see here, Gillford Park played in broad green and white hoops long before the sharks took them over, nothing to do with Smelt It FC.

It was an open secret that Lynch intended bidding the club off to both arsecheeks - only for one half to bankrupt themselves. With no prospect therefore of a lucrutive bidding war, along with UEFA & the Football League telling them "don't even think about trying it", Gillford Park in their "glam rock" guise were doomed.

In reality, the guy running this was a lifelong Celtic supporter and he was still light years away from getting to a level where Parkhead regulars might actually be tempted to make a trip down the M74 every other week to watch a better standard of football. Odds on it finally dawned on him that he was unlikely to live long enough to see his fantasy fulfilled and that he was burning through his kids inheritance chasing a narcissistic fools errand.

If the way into the English league system was going to be to buy an obscure nonleague club just over the border there's no obvious reason why it would have had to be Celtic Nation and hence no reason why this particular club would have had the market cornered on the concept in a manner that would led to a bidding war. Carlisle United would be the much more obvious target for that given far fewer promotions and considerably less investment in facilities would be needed to reach the Premiership.

Remember the death threats that Wallace Mercer got at the time of the proposed merger of Hearts and Hibs and calling the new club Heart of Midlothian and playing in maroon? There would be a similar reaction in Carlisle with probably civil unrest in the streets if anybody tried to take over CUFC and change their name to either half of the bigot brothers.

A complete non starter. Gillford Park were small enough for not enough people to really care.

In reality, the guy running this was a lifelong Celtic supporter and he was still light years away from getting to a level where Parkhead regulars might actually be tempted to make a trip down the M74 every other week to watch a better standard of football. Odds on it finally dawned on him that he was unlikely to live long enough to see his fantasy fulfilled and that he was burning through his kids inheritance chasing a narcissistic fools errand.

If the way into the English league system was going to be to buy an obscure nonleague club just over the border there's no obvious reason why it would have had to be Celtic Nation and hence no reason why this particular club would have had the market cornered on the concept in a manner that would led to a bidding war. Carlisle United would be the much more obvious target for that given far fewer promotions and considerably less investment in facilities would be needed to reach the Premiership.

He's a "a lifelong Celtic supporter" who spunked his money into John Fall's Clydebank in Dublin folly, and has also attempted to stick his nose into Gretna, Carlisle,Hibernian... in fact just about everywhere else except Celtic! He's a shark only interested in making money - no matter what the Plastic rhetoric.

That little to nothing was ever spent on any sort of hearts and minds campaigning to get more fans in the manner of Mileson at Gretna or Roy McGregor at Ross County - heck, even the sort done by Spartans! - is fairly damning that whatever his claims to spurrious tabloids like the Daiiy Record, his intention was not to create any sort of Green Scheme Goblins FC Lite, but to flog them off once they'd accrued as they say in the biz "enchanced shareholder value" from their "position in the marketplace", ie. being in Tier 4.

Gillford Park were vulnerable to his machinations because the choice was fighting a court case against their local railway company they hadn't a hope of winning - the price was signing themselves over to the complete mercy of a mercenary gobshite.

I don't think he was particularly worried about burning away his billions on the tiny sums required to keep the unrealistic Gillford Park squatters of Theme Pub FC alive - about half his cut from another Billy Connolly farewell tour and DVD would cover that.

Nope, like all sharks (Trump, Buffett, etc) he jumped ship because he'd no chance from making his killing from flogging a dream ticket into the Big Kids League with one of the arsecheeks a flat broke wreck run by incompetent bigots and spivs (as opposed to their usual semi-competent bigots and spivs). The reason for owning Gillford Park was gone, thus he promptly dumped it in the way all speculators dump dead stock to cut losses (eg. Rangers shares with alarming regularity over the past two years)

...his intention was not to create any sort of Green Scheme Goblins FC Lite,...

Nowhere in this rambling post is there any explanation as to why it is only this particular diddy nonleague team that would enable entry of a top Scottish club into the big time in England so that a bidding war for their purchase would unfold, but the phrase I have quoted above should at least make the earlier social class related angle more obvious.

Nowhere in this rambling post is there any explanation as to why it is only this particular diddy nonleague team that would enable entry of a top Scottish club into the big time in England so that a bidding war for their purchase would unfold, but the phrase I have quoted above should at least make the earlier social class related angle more obvious.

Try reading the previous posts, muppet. It's already been explained that Gillford Park had no choice but to accept Frank Lynch under any terms if they weren't to be left homeless (& effectively defunct), this gave him carte blanche to carry out his lunatic scheme.

Those familiar with the sinister machinations whereupon legal gagging writs were fired out against the most obscure bloggers, let alone WSC for daring to suggest Lynch's plans set alarm bells off as to his intentions within the first year. You of course would be unaware of these as you were too busy paying attention to those ensuring that "the big hoose" stayed open. :whistle

Archived