Ian Paisley - dead

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent news... delighted when I heard this earlier.

Hopefully Adams and McGuinness join him soon.

If only Ted Kennedy had offered to give the pair of them a lift on one of their many jaunts to the USA...

If only Ted Kennedy had offered to give the pair of them a lift on one of their many jaunts to the USA...

Hopefully this is just a Final Destination like temporary reprieve.

RIP. Lost the plot on occasions and had some bizarre sky fairy related beliefs but when push came to shove he provided strong leadership when his people faced their darkest hour that prevented the paramilitaries from making any electoral advances on the Unionist side of things. The Troubles could have been much worse without that. For all the people spewing bile on this thread, you may be surprised to find out that he got along very well with Alex Salmond in the House of Commons and the SNP and DUP often cooperated on early day motions as a result.

Martin McGuinness has been quoted as saying, "I've lost a friend". Which is odd, because I distinctly remember Paisley and he arguing for a good twenty minutes in Newsnight about the bigoted spelling of his surname.

It's what friends do.

That and promise eternal damnation for them and those like them. Mostly.

There's usually some dick that will go down the

"Say what you like about Ian, but he was a man of principle" route.

I suppose he did level the playing feild in a way.

The UK gov forced McGuiness' words to be read out in a stupid and annoying voice on the news and the presence of Paisley meant that normally the unionist side was presented in a stupid, annoying voice too.

Archived