Ian Paisley - dead

He was one of the biggest agitators of sectarian division in NI for nearly 50 years, but he became more moderate in his later career which helped bring peace, of sorts, to NI. Being in government with sinn fein could not have been easy for him from the constituency he was representing, but he was willing to do it for the greater good. That has to be acknowledged.

King, I remember that at the time when he was claiming Ulster beef was Irish not British! Though I also remember an interview where he said he considered himself an Irishman.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's usually some dick that will go down the

"Say what you like about Ian, but he was a man of principle" route.

Well I'd not go quite as far as say that but I admired Paisley. He was certainly not liked by the mainstream UUP in NI nor was he liked by those of us from Lanarkshire interested in The Failed Statelet's politics in the late 70s/early 80s. The loyal bretheren had no time for him.

The first time I went to The Failed Statelet was in 1978/79 (can't remember which year) for The Big Walk as a guest of a Belfast lodge. I went to Paisley's church on the following Sunday and was mesmerised by him. Even 35 years on I recall what his sermon was about.

I grew up listening to Ian Paisley, and will admit to hanging on to his every word in those days, but sad how it turned out, and the divison across the PUL community in Norn iron is unfortunately his legacy!

Don't take this the wrong way but I assumed you were about 19.

Never agreed with him on too much and without question his legacy has been re-written ,

A journalist interviewed on 5 Live last night summed him up well,

"He's like the man who set fire to a house and watch it burn to the point it's almost destroyed ,then ring the fire brigade and be called the hero"

post-12982-0-84840600-1410612060.jpg

Those of a certain vintage may remember Raith Rovers' manager Frank Connor had a passing resemblance to the Reverend Paisley (see photo above).

Connor was a bit of a firy character himself and used to rush out the dugout to berate referees. This was usually followed by chants from the Meadowbank support of "PAISLEY PAISLEY SHUT YER MOOTH"

Conner, unlike Paisley, played for Celtic and was part of Liam Brady's backroom staff: In October 1993 following the departures of Brady and Jordan, Connor took over as caretaker manager of Celtic for four games. He was in charge for two Scottish Premier Division matches (one win, one draw) a UEFA Cup tie first leg (won 1-0 v. Sporting Lisbon) and he picked the team to face Rangers (a 2-1 Premier Division Celtic win) three days after Lou Macari's arrival. Connor had an unbeaten record in charge of Celtic.

attachicon.gifconnor.jpg

Those of a certain vintage may remember Raith Rovers' manager Frank Connor had a passing resemblance to the Reverend Paisley (see photo above).

Connor was a bit of a firy character himself and used to rush out the dugout to berate referees. This was usually followed by chants from the Meadowbank support of "PAISLEY PAISLEY SHUT YER MOOTH"

The joke that did the rounds when Frank Connor was still at Celtic was always that he had nothing in common with Ian Paisley just because they were lookalikes. One of them was a loud-mouthed fanatical religious maniac, while the other was the leader of the Democratic Unionist Party.

Paisley was giving one of his full blooded sermons and roared, "On the last day there will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth." A wee woman in the front pew said, "But Mr Paisley, I have no teeth."

"TEETH WILL BE PROVIDED."

Paisley was giving one of his full blooded sermons and roared, "On the last day there will be a wailing and gnashing of teeth." A wee woman in the front pew said, "But Mr Paisley, I have no teeth."

"TEETH WILL BE PROVIDED."

Early 80's and I used to drink with a few Portavogie buns, and it was 'boy, there ah waz listening to MR PAISLEY in front of 60,000 on Saturday' , scary times. (take away an 'e').

He was held in high regard, no doubt. He was a basturt, no doubt.

Say what you like about Ian Paisley but he was a man of principle.

... and a c**t

All you need is RIP and that would great on his headstone.

He was a loudmouth, a c*nt in some peoples eyes, a hero to others.

Personally I never had any time for him or any of the NI "politicos"/shit stirrers from either side.

Just felt sorry for the innocent people who had to live with the fall-out from these trouble making b*astards.

Archived