97% register to vote in referendum

dorlomin

About 97% of the adult population of Scotland, amounting to 4,285,323 people, have registered to vote in the independence referendum next week, making this the largest electorate the country has ever known for any election or referendum.
The figures include 118,640 voters who have registered in the last month alone, since 1 August, as well as 789,024 postal voters. Since 1 March this year 164,829 voters have been added to the register.
Much has been made in recent months of the "missing million" – referring to those eligible to vote but missing from the register as well as those registered but habitually not voting – and whether they could swing the referendum result in favour of independence.

What ever the result this has been a huge surge in interest in politics.

This has shaken the establishment.

What ever the result this has been a huge surge in interest in politics.

This has shaken the establishment.

I think I can see the voting age being changed. Only 53 year olds will be allowed to vote in future elections as the politicians don't want neither high participation nor close scrutiny of the political process and environments.

Anyway, I am off to the HOC subsidised bars and eateries.

97%? I doubt that. Where are the figures coming from?

That said, knowing the way Westminster is running a parallel campaign to the way the Canadian government did then I would expect 20% of those voters would be bussed in, under darkness. They have already breached finance regulations within the last couple of days, so it's clear that they have no scruples when it comes to fair play or ethical political conduct.

Impressive numbers no doubt.

Sadly the failing of democracy is that everybody is entitled to a say, regardless of the effort they put in to decide upon which direction they ultimatley vote.

One of the core ingredients to creating a wise crowd (Wisdom of Crowds) is that the people answering the question are not influenced by their peers, sadly its unavoidable in a campaign enviroment.

That said it's stil lthe best we have, especially here in Scotland with the PR election model.

I was talking about this the other day at work and no matter what side of the fence you sit on, the fact everyone is talking about it and getting involved can't be a bad thing.

I hope this continues well after the vote because both outcomes are going to lead to more questions.

97% may well be registered but it'll still be <90% that vote.

Still a very impressive figure, however.

As I put on the Polls thread, assume a 80% turnout on that number of registered voters is roughly 1.7 million to win it.

The link.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/sep/11/referendum-registered-voters-scotland-four-million-97-per-cent

Regardless of the result I think it's fantastic how much of the electorate have been politicised and energised by the Indy Ref.

Hopefully things will never be the same.

Surely 97% of the people registering points to the fact that none of the pollsters have a clue what'll happen, no? Most of that 97% will never have been near an opinion poll in their puff.

Surely 97% of the people registering points to the fact that none of the pollsters have a clue what'll happen, no? Most of that 97% will never have been near an opinion poll in their puff.

That's why i don't believe the polls are that accurate, I also doubt most of these people are signing up to register to vote for the status quo

97% is an incredible figure. When you consider general elections are in the low 50's this referendum will easily have an 80% plus turnout.

Polling 1,000 people for polls is mainly based a turnout of 50-60% An 80% turnout and opinion polls become pretty inaccurate.

How are all these new voters going to vote? More of the same or complete change?

Talking to my sister, maw, cousins, nephews and niece on a regular basis it is clear, and brilliant, that everyone's buzzing about this and it is, to quote Molesworth, "A good thing".

By way of contrast, I work in central London and when I went for a coffee from the machine this afternoon a guy I work with, who is aged about 35 and an educated bloke, said to me, almost verbatim, "So what's this referendum about? Is it really about Scotland having its own country and currency and its own army?"

I was astounded.

Archived