Mark Shankland

One of Lifes great unanswered questions for me, like Why isn't this forum called Peh & Bovrul in Dundee? and Why do the SSN presenters always address th camera when they are talking to a person sitting right next to them? is whatever happened to Mark Shankland?

Burnley, Rangers, Celtic, Liverpool, Birmingham....all clubs i believe he was on trial with....but i'm hearing the kid can't get a trial with Talbot Now.

Surely only a matter of time before he signs for Troon....

Can anyone shed some light on where it all went wrong?

Guest honestrae95

One of Lifes great unanswered questions for me, like Why isn't this forum called Peh & Bovrul in Dundee? and Why do the SSN presenters always address th camera when they are talking to a person sitting right next to them? is whatever happened to Mark Shankland?

Burnley, Rangers, Celtic, Liverpool, Birmingham....all clubs i believe he was on trial with....but i'm hearing the kid can't get a trial with Talbot Now.

Surely only a matter of time before he signs for Troon....

Can anyone shed some light on where it all went wrong?

In his head, i'm afraid. If he'd worked hard at Ayr and been patient then i'm sure he'd have been given the oppertunity to shine. Unfortunately he thought he was better than he is, and expected to start every week. When Marko told him that this wan't going to happen, he left.

In his head, i'm afraid. If he'd worked hard at Ayr and been patient then i'm sure he'd have been given the oppertunity to shine. Unfortunately he thought he was better than he is, and expected to start every week. When Marko told him that this wan't going to happen, he left.

Give him a year in the juniors it will make a man of him.and then he might get a decent move somewhere in the seniors.

Falkirk would be good for him with the amount of young players that they bring through and improve

Could be just the right club for him first he needs to toughen up and work hard and eat right.every players needs to

Sure his talent has not just blown away over night he just needs to put the effort in

Even the best players in the world have a defensive side to there game to and a work etthic

Ayr United stuff should be kept in the Ayr United thread.

Other than that, young players heads are filled with nonsense, sometimes by fans it has to be said, and they aren't prepared to be patient and work for their chance. As for teenagers at League One level having football agents - f**k right off!

I don't think Roberts ever really took to Shankland, which is a shame as I think he could at least do a job for us. I think he'd be a better option to have than Shirkie is.

I don't think it's ever been firmly established why he left so I won't jump to any conclusions. He may well have had ideas above his station but it could have been, for example, that he didn't like working with Mark Roberts (which I don't think is a particularly outlandish suggestion) and wanted a change, which would be fair enough.

Give him a year in the juniors it will make a man of him.and then he might get a decent move somewhere in the seniors.

Falkirk would be good for him with the amount of young players that they bring through and improve

Could be just the right club for him first he needs to toughen up and work hard and eat right.every players needs to

Sure his talent has not just blown away over night he just needs to put the effort in

Even the best players in the world have a defensive side to there game to and a work etthic

Is this you tipping him for the Scotland squad soon?

He never really looked up to first team football.

Sometimes players that are good at youth level aren't able to make that next step.

Yes he did have all those trial's but none of the teams took him on which certainly says something to me.

but it could have been, for example, that he didn't like working with Mark Roberts (which I don't think is a particularly outlandish suggestion) and wanted a change, which would be fair enough.

Would it though? A seventeen year-old who, at the moment, doesn't even have a club. I think your preceding point about having ideas above his station leads into your subsequent statement as I've highlighted above.

Would it though? A seventeen year-old who, at the moment, doesn't even have a club. I think your preceding point about having ideas above his station leads into your subsequent statement as I've highlighted above.

If it's a case of "I don't like working with Roberts because he won't give me a game" then no, the fault would lie with Shankland's attitude. However, if he was genuinely miserable playing under Mark Roberts and just wanted out, I think it's entirely fair that he decided that he didn't want to sign a new contract.

From the outside looking in it obviously looks like a bad move given that he doesn't have a club, but ultimately I think it's unfair to judge him without knowing what his motivations for leaving were.

ETA: To look at it from a different perspective, he's still only a teenager and should have realised by now that his chances of making a living out of football are fairly slim. If, having realised that, his main concern is playing in a positive environment, then all the best to him.

I don't want this to come across that i am being a Gerry, but he mentions on more than one occasion in the book how bad Shankland's attitude is.

Turning up late for training, taking the huff for not getting a start. Also Roberts gave him a chance when he first got the job even if it was out of position he still failed to impress.

Unlike Forrest for example who just stuck with it when he was continuously making substitute appearances and scoring. Signed a new contract etc.

This book sounds like it'll be a good read. I've bought it but haven't got round to reading it yet.

If it turns out that Shankland is the arsehole in all of this then fair enough. I realise I've come across as being quite defensive of him on here but I don't know the guy or his motivations. I thought it unfair that he was being criticised for not sticking it out without the whole picture being apparent, but if Gerry's book clears that up then I'm happy to concede.

You might not get on with a Manager but to get noticed and to get a move you have to be playing , playing regularly and doing well.

You only make yourself " marketable " by doing it on the Park , consistently.

Was he not a regular for the reserves when they had a game?

Archived