Stand UP or bow DOWN

Donald_G

I left Scotland to begin a new life and raise my family in Canada in 1981.

Why? After 7 years of University and 2 engineering degrees in Naval Architecture, after I graduated, there were suddenly no shipbuilding opportunities left in Scotland. The shipowners and the government had decided that the Korean and Japanese could build ships cheaper. Tens of thousands of families were displaced, and unemployment was epidemic along Clydeside. Shame on them.

I came to Canada with 50 Clydesdale pounds in my pocket. No exaggeration. When I went to change them for dollars, the bank refused to accept the banknotes stating that those were not pounds. I see the same attitude today in England ! Try exchanging a Clydesdale note south of the border and be prepared for an argument.

Now I will return to Scotland. I will bring my resources and knowledge and I will establish a new business - but only if Scotland is independent.

I see that the next generation has the resources and potential offered by the Scottish Parliament to build strong careers and communities through new industries throughout our beautiful country, but they need your support to complete the job. Scotland is a very wealthy nation. Extremely wealthy. So why has this economic growth and potential filtered down to benefit of Scots so slowly?

Because too much of the wealth is trapped by the English treasury, who then hand back a small proportion for Scotland to run its affairs with. What if Scotland held onto its wealth and did not send it to London? Would that not go a long way to helping the Scots people?

Vote YES please !!! Stand up or bow down.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? After 7 years of University and 2 engineering degrees in Naval Architecture, after I graduated, there were suddenly no shipbuilding opportunities left in Scotland. The shipowners and the government had decided that the Korean and Japanese could build ships cheaper. Tens of thousands of families were displaced, and unemployment was epidemic along Clydeside. Shame on them.

The government hardly decided this, economics did, and the Koreans do build excellent ships. It's also, demonstrably, not the case that Navel Architects struggle to get jobs in Scotland at the moment.

No issue with the overall message.

I came to Canada with 50 Clydesdale pounds in my pocket. No exaggeration. When I went to change them for dollars, the bank refused to accept the banknotes stating that those were not pounds. I see the same attitude today in England ! Try exchanging a Clydesdale note south of the border and be prepared for an argument.

Now I will return to Scotland. I will bring my resources and knowledge and I will establish a new business - but only if Scotland is independent.

I see that the next generation has the resources and potential offered by the Scottish Parliament to build strong careers and communities through new industries throughout our beautiful country, but they need your support to complete the job. Scotland is a very wealthy nation. Extremely wealthy. So why has this economic growth and potential filtered down to benefit of Scots so slowly?

Because too much of the wealth is trapped by the English treasury, who then hand back a small proportion for Scotland to run its affairs with. What if Scotland held onto its wealth and did not send it to London? Would that not go a long way to helping the Scots people?

Sentimental pish

More patronising pish, how on earth have we managed without you!!? Let us know when your coming back, I'll make sure the red carpets sorted at Glasgow Airport.

I see the same attitude today in England ! Try exchanging a Clydesdale note south of the border and be prepared for an argument.

No you don't. It's not a problem, hasn't been for years.

Now back under yer rock. Or Canada. Whichever is darker :lol:

Not me and I've been going there regularly for the last 15 years through work

However I did stop using pound notes when they were taken out of circulation

Lucky you. I've been down 3 or 4 times in the last year and had problems twice. Once in London City Airport, the second time in Boots.

Lucky you. I've been down 3 or 4 times in the last year and had problems twice. Once in London City Airport, the second time in Boots.

will be even worse when you are trying o cash in your new 20 salmond note when salmond gets round to plan N of introducing his own currency ....named after himself

The seethe is strong in the Unionist on this thread.

Its not seethe mate, it was such a patronising pile of shi*te.

''I left with nothing (cry me a river), but I've done well since leaving, and I'm now prepared to come back and offer you my knowledge and resources '' (or similar)

That's good of him eh!? :rolleyes:

Its not seethe mate, it was such a patronising pile of shi*te.

''I left with nothing (cry me a river), but I've done well since leaving, and I'm now prepared to come back and offer you my knowledge and resources '' (or similar)

That's good of him eh!? :rolleyes:

Absolutely. Seems a stand up guy to me.

:)

Archived