Laptop Advice

KD1711

Yeah, Im sure it will. She does tend to have a few mods installed to though which will slow it down. Its more about how much slower its going to be than the PC she uses just now.

It might not look great but theres a fair amount going on given the way the worlds are rendered and can be changed

The minimum specs arent very high though - clicky

Haha I would have looked a right bellend on Xmas morning with tears everywhere! The Specs are better than the minimum so it should be okay. Whew!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-15-j151sa-15-6-laptop-silver-10011520-pdt.html#cat-0

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-15-j186na-15-6-laptop-silver-10011532-pdt.html#cat-0

Right, two laptops here; which one is the better laptop?

I want to do my Uni work on it (Which involves using SPSS statistical package, and in turn needs a lot of processing and calculation power), play football manager, listen to music and all of the usual things. Budget isn't much of an issue!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-15-j151sa-15-6-laptop-silver-10011520-pdt.html#cat-0

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-15-j186na-15-6-laptop-silver-10011532-pdt.html#cat-0

Right, two laptops here; which one is the better laptop?

I want to do my Uni work on it (Which involves using SPSS statistical package, and in turn needs a lot of processing and calculation power), play football manager, listen to music and all of the usual things. Budget isn't much of an issue!

Funnily enough, the one that retails for about £300 more is better :rolleyes:

It would have taken about 2 seconds on google to find out that the i7 pisses all over the A10

Now a really daft question, for you Mr X, can you buy Minecraft in a physical format for PC? Just would prefer to give my niece a physical present if at all possible.

Now a really daft question, for you Mr X, can you buy Minecraft in a physical format for PC? Just would prefer to give my niece a physical present if at all possible.

Im not sure if you can. Ive seen physical boxes for other formats but I dont ever remember seeing one for the PC. The closest Ive seen is a gift card type thing which has an unlock code. Thats what we got Miss X last year and, probably, what we'll get Mr X jnr this year.

You can get them in Game

I don't think you can although that may have changed since microsoft bought it.

Might i suggest a trick gift?

Get a box of malteesers, open it, eat half of them and then stick the code and an explanation about wanting to give a physical gift onto the underside of the lid. Then wrap it up.

I just ordered one of these for my daughters Christmas

clicky

ETA - what do you want to do with it though?

Delighted to find a thread on here already as i came to post much the same question.

Mr X, I too would like to do a bit of office work, web browsing and play a little (probably a lot) FM. The laptop you linked to looks great at the money, but could you give me any kind of hints as to what key specs to look for when shopping around? I'm also pretty clueless at this stuff so really just want to know what kinda stats I'm looking for to meet those criteria?

Delighted to find a thread on here already as i came to post much the same question.

Mr X, I too would like to do a bit of office work, web browsing and play a little (probably a lot) FM. The laptop you linked to looks great at the money, but could you give me any kind of hints as to what key specs to look for when shopping around? I'm also pretty clueless at this stuff so really just want to know what kinda stats I'm looking for to meet those criteria?

It kind of depends what you want to spend and the sort of performance you're prepared to accept from FM.

Its not that easy to spec a budget laptop for FM. Most will run it but there are often question marks about the GFX cards (as most low/mid price laptops have integrated graphics) and whether or not they'll run the 3D match engine and, if so, how well.

That £200 laptop, for example, will run it - according to this site - but scores 5 and 3 out of 10 for the CPU and GFX, respectively. It wont be fast! The £350 one DD link to scores 6 and 5 for CPU and GFX. Without actually seeing them, its hard to say how much of a difference that would actually make.

Best place to start is budget

It kind of depends what you want to spend and the sort of performance you're prepared to accept from FM.

Its not that easy to spec a budget laptop for FM. Most will run it but there are often question marks about the GFX cards (as most low/mid price laptops have integrated graphics) and whether or not they'll run the 3D match engine and, if so, how well.

That £200 laptop, for example, will run it - according to this site - but scores 5 and 3 out of 10 for the CPU and GFX, respectively. It wont be fast! The £350 one DD link to scores 6 and 5 for CPU and GFX. Without actually seeing them, its hard to say how much of a difference that would actually make.

Best place to start is budget

Cheers for the advice mate. Around 300 is the budget but i have a bit of wiggle room. Not too bothered about 3D match engine so do you reckon that the £200 one would do me for FM, downloading music, Netflix etc?

Cheers for the advice mate. Around 300 is the budget but i have a bit of wiggle room. Not too bothered about 3D match engine so do you reckon that the £200 one would do me for FM, downloading music, Netflix etc?

I want to say yes but Im not convinced. It will run it but its going to be pretty slow. Problem is, I think you'll struggle to get an awful lot better for an extra £100. As I said, that £350 one DD posted might be worth considering. Its certainly a better spec. Whether or not you'll think the difference merits £150, I dont know

Sorry, not much help that :lol:

I want to say yes but Im not convinced. It will run it but its going to be pretty slow. Problem is, I think you'll struggle to get an awful lot better for an extra £100. As I said, that £350 one DD posted might be worth considering. Its certainly a better spec. Whether or not you'll think the difference merits £150, I dont know

Sorry, not much help that :lol:

No worries bud I appreciate it! Will check their returns policy haha!

I paid about £330 for a Lenovo laptop in September, reduced from 500. Great spec, think it's 6GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive, can't remember how powerful the processor is, maybe 2.4Ghz? Not had any issues with it so far.

I paid about £330 for a Lenovo laptop in September, reduced from 500. Great spec, think it's 6GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive, can't remember how powerful the processor is, maybe 2.4Ghz? Not had any issues with it so far.

The young lass is getting a laptop for her Christmas and that is our price range.

It is really only for her homework and other school projects to watch endless fucking 1D videos and spend all night on Twitter.

Would that one be suitable? The one she is using just now is ultra slow and on its last legs. She doesn't use it for games more for videos and streaming.

The young lass is getting a laptop for her Christmas and that is our price range.

It is really only for her homework and other school projects to watch endless fucking 1D videos and spend all night on Twitter.

Would that one be suitable? The one she is using just now is ultra slow and on its last legs. She doesn't use it for games more for videos and streaming.

Any of the ones linked so far would be fine

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LBY569Y/ref=s9_top_hm_bT5kzf_g147_i12

How does this compare to the budget laptops linked so far, is it worth the additional cash?

Yes and no.

The i5 is a fair step up from the other laptops linked but this one still has the intel integrated graphics. It will run FM and less demanding games ok but it wont be great for newer stuff

The 8GB of RAM will help quite a bit with an integrated GFX chip though

Lovely thread, thanks to Mr X. Handy as.

Need a new one for work but wouldn't mind playing some games well on it. I can afford the jump to what a separate graphics card machine costs, but is it worth it for a low-budget graphics card?

As long as the other specs are decent, it probably is. A well specd machine with an integrated card (especially then new intel HD4xxx's apparently) wont be much different from a low specd machine with a separate GFX card

I installed Minecraft and Sims 3 on the £200 laptop I bought last night. Both seemed to run fine :) Minecraft was a bit sluggish but Im pretty sure that was down to the trackpad rather than the game

As long as the other specs are decent, it probably is. A well specd machine with an integrated card (especially then new intel HD4xxx's apparently) wont be much different from a low specd machine with a separate GFX card

I installed Minecraft and Sims 3 on the £200 laptop I bought last night. Both seemed to run fine :) Minecraft was a bit sluggish but Im pretty sure that was down to the trackpad rather than the game

Thanks man, appreciated

Archived