Gibraltar - Scotland Oct 2015

mick90

Looking for advice for this one,

Taking my 13 year son for his first away game (give up on Dublin, don't think I will get a ticket), so hostel and cheap as chips is out. A lot on here are staying in Albufeira, but I'am concerned is getting to an back from the game, Any advice on the public transport.

The other places I have been looking at are Faro itself, Quarteira (half way between Albufeira and Faro) or Oihao (6km East of Faro) are anybody heading to these places. I was thinking Faro or Oihao might be easier to get back to after the game.

Albufeira looks better for the mini break, we will be going for 4 days, looking like Manchester or Gatwick. So if anybody needs a lift on the saturday morning.

Last thing I am assuming that tickets wont be an issue (both of us join the SSC at the start of this campaign)

There will be no public transport back to Albufeira after the game. There are, however, around 10 supporters buses running to the game from Albufeira.

I don't think it really matters where you stay, it's just about what you prefer.

Tickets should be no problem.

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be no public transport back to Albufeira after the game. There are, however, around 10 supporters buses running to the game from Albufeira.

I don't think it really matters where you stay, it's just about what you prefer.

Tickets should be no problem.

Soccerway has their home match against Georgia as 281 and their game against Poland as 1620.

Wonder if they'll be prepared for 30,000 Scots?

Soccerway has their home match against Georgia as 281 and their game against Poland as 1620.

Wonder if they'll be prepared for 30,000 Scots?

Doubt there will be 30,000 at the game at Hampden. Not a chance of even half that number travelling over.

Doubt there will be 30,000 at the game at Hampden. Not a chance of even half that number travelling over.

If it means qualifying or coming 3rd there will be a LOT going.

I know plenty going already - many of whom never go to away games. It's in Portugal in October - during the school half-term breaks.

Why wouldn't you go?

I think you will be surpised on how many will be there. Only been to away to games in England to now, but last night booked up for my son and I to stay in Olhao 5 mile oustide Faro. Having to fly from Gatwick on the Saturday as it saved about £600 for a 4 night stay. Some of the flights from Scotland were actually had no seats. Manchester prices starting to increase. Told my son this morning and he was singing "We'll be coming"

I notice that a number of the hostel's were stating "sold out" and "Full"

I've found Monarch the cheapest at the moment but they fly out of Manchester and Gatwick. I managed to get 4 nights at the Royal Marine in Olhao from Gatwick fro £200 a head via Low cost. I know I still have to get to Gatwick, but might drive down on the morning of the flight. So might have spare seats to Gatwick.

I could not get a 2 flights only from Scotland for any less then £600, but there will be there if you look hard enough

I've found Monarch the cheapest at the moment but they fly out of Manchester and Gatwick. I managed to get 4 nights at the Royal Marine in Olhao from Gatwick fro £200 a head via Low cost. I know I still have to get to Gatwick, but might drive down on the morning of the flight. So might have spare seats to Gatwick.

I could not get a 2 flights only from Scotland for any less then £600, but there will be there if you look hard enough

I got flights to Faro(out Friday morning and back following Thurs) with a 2 hour stop off in the middle for around £100 a couple of weeks ago.

• 3 months later...

Estadio Algarve is roughly half way between Faro Airport (which is a bit south of Faro) and Albufeira ... actually in the LOULE district. It has its own train station `Parque des Cidades` ... 20 mins from Albufeira, 15 from Faro station ( which is next to the bus station) .. but trains are few and far between and like the buses don`t run much after 8pm. Don`t bank on anyone locally putting on extra transport .. remember if you get a taxi from anywhere to the stadium, they won`t hang around to take you back .. and it is literally in the middle of nowhere.

There are dozens of mini-bus and coach operators, because Albufeira gets around 100,000 visitors every week in high summer .. so best idea of you haven`t got a bus yet is to join a local forum .. and organise one. The english forum in Albufeira is www.albufeira.com/forum

you might also try trip advisor which has forums local to most towns in the Algarve. Local bus tables - www.algarvebus.info

Trains www.cp.pt ( click EN top right for english). My site has a list of hotels in albufeira .... www.albufeiraguide.yolasite.com

be aware that all the tartan army buses mentioned from Albufeira are full and on reserve lists ..

• 1 month later...

I notice that it's a 30'000 seater stadium and the supporters club has 25'000 members. Could it be possible all members are guaranteed a ticket for this away game?

I notice that it's a 30'000 seater stadium and the supporters club has 25'000 members. Could it be possible all members are guaranteed a ticket for this away game?

Would think so, in fact there may even be a public sale ballot?

Gibraltar seem to only have 500-600 "home" fans

Would think so, in fact there may even be a public sale ballot?

Gibraltar seem to only have 500-600 "home" fans

If the demand was there I can't see why not.

Only thing is I can imagine some hidden UEFA ruling where the away fans should only be given a minority of the stadium.

Only thing is I can imagine some hidden UEFA ruling where the away fans should only be given a minority of the stadium.

Better order my Gibraltar scarf now then...

Apparently there were 51,000 in Tbilisi for the Germany game but only 20,000 each for Poland and S.Ireland, so unless some 30,000 Georgians fancied a day out, it's a pretty safe bet that UEFA are cool with large travelling supports.

What's the prices looking like for this? Keen to book up in the next week or so.

I'm looking just now as well. Looking at £350-£400 with return flights from Glasgow to Faro and hotel, leaving Saturday, home on Monday.

Archived