LEAFA select v SAFL select 14/09/14

Nizza

Lothian and Edinburgh AFA select take on Scottish Amateur Football League Select in Sunday 14th September at Danderhall MW, Edinburgh 1.30ko

Leafa Select looks as follows:

Mark Reid GK (Craigshill Thistle), Scott Walker GK(Fernieside), Darren Aird (Heriot Vale), Graeme Armstrong (Edinburgh University), Kevin Smith (Newcraighall Leith Vics), Scott Barr (Shotts Victoria), Gary White (Tollcross Thistle), Paul McCracken (Craigshill Thistle), Kyle Hay (Tollcross Thistle), Mark McEwen (Edinburgh United Alba), David Swan (Craigshill Thistle), Michael Yuill (Tollcross Thistle), James Reilly (Newcraighall Leith Vics), Patty Bonthrone (Heriot Vale), George McGregor (Craigshill Thistle), Fraser Roy (Craigshill Thistle)

Nizzy has put together a strong squad of players. Should be a decent game?

Any idea of players included in the SAFL select?

Jim, think both Scott Barr from Shotts and Scotty Walker from Fernieside were both in the squad when the sides last met and the back end of last season

New management in charge of the LEAFA side, different opinions on players, so no real surprise to see a changed squad!

On paper it is a pretty strong Lothians team!!

All the best to Nizzy, the management team and the players ahead of Sundays game

How did the game go ? Who stood out ?

none of the Craigshill players as they all pulled out!

It was a decent team effort with no-one looking out of place. Mikey Yuill lead the lne well and Kyle hay had loads of possession but in areas that didn't hurt the SAFL. The SAFL no 9 and 10 looked really decent players.

I'm involved with Craigshill and players were given the option to go but the information we were given was that the game wasn't sanctioned by the SAFA and ther was problems with insurances???? Can this be cleared up????

Also a lot of players play Sundays and 1 team had 4 players due to play at this game and would've left the sunday team unable to field a team resulting in fines etc, a free week was asked for but declined due to short notice.

These games are a good way to get the best players looked at but why on a Sunday????

Get it done through the week with plenty of notice so teams,players etc etc can make the arrangements.

Craigshill will support and help any form of league select team if we have players involved or not.

Good to see Craigshills Mark Reid involved and saving the penalty :-)

What's up BB you got a wee bee in yer bunnet about Craigshill aye???

Did we fold ur team or pump your lot (whoever they are) with our reserves :-)

The players had plenty notice and could have got a free week.

I did play for Spartans Whitehill and pro so chances any craighills have ever been on a winning side against me are highly unlikely.

The players had plenty notice and could have got a free week.

I did play for Spartans Whitehill and pro so chances any craighills have ever been on a winning side against me are highly unlikely.

You need to apply at least 3/4 weeks in advance for a free week in the local Sunday league so ther wasn't enough time, 10 days notice is all the notice that was handed out.

Do you know anything about the west Lothian football scene??? I know you've played at the dizzy heights of the pro game so you must be an expert on football ;-)

You need to apply at least 3/4 weeks in advance for a free week in the local Sunday league so ther wasn't enough time, 10 days notice is all the notice that was handed out.

Do you know anything about the west Lothian football scene??? I know you've played at the dizzy heights of the pro game so you must be an expert on football ;-)

Did the players give management good notice? Don't think so. The manager of select is trying to give them a chance to play in a decent game.

I do and the best players from that way (amateur) are geo, swan and Gary Whyte. IMO Sunday football is better than before but Saturday football is better and more important.

to be able to play for the select team 2 things have to happen

1: come to the attention of the select manager and coaching staff. - your team manager would normally put you forward for this but there is nothing to stop a player declaring himself interested in representing the association

2: turn up for briefings, trials and games. - players themselves have to ask if they want to play in a high level representative match or if they would prefer to play in a sunday league game.

Oh and this is not a dig at anyone, just giving my opinion.

The players who represented LEAFA on Sunday did a great job and everyone one contributed to the team's peformance. There may indee be better individual players out there but if they are not put forward or decide not to turn up then tahts their choice.

Nizzy did a great job to take individuals who dont regularly play together and put them together as a team, asking some players to play in positions that they dont normally play in.

So instead of claiming that there are better players not included, lets all congratulate Captain NIzzy and his band of dry land pirates on a good job well done.

Archived