The Junior football enigmas past and present.

RobRoyGuy

Enigmas. The football world is full of them. One definition of an enigma reads A person or thing that is mysterious, puzzling, or difficult to understand, whilst another reads simply A riddle or paradox. Some players divide opinion ranging from the most opposite extremes. To one fan, he may be awful, to another, brilliant! The player himself may be outstanding one week, anonymous the next a paradox indeed.

Junior football has it's fair share of these types of players, guys who divide opinion, guys who basically do you head in.

Who are or have been these types of players at your club.

I will kick it off from this season at my own team Ally Martin, an enigma brilliant one game one half then frustrating and out of sorts the next.

Two keepers Stephen Robertson, brilliant for us in games then a poor run of games with errors galore then back to being brilliant again, no in between.

Jon Connolly with us, sorry Jon ha, one minute saving something that looks goal bound all the way, looking solid next minute disaster strikes and concede a goal through a error.

Tam Sinclair enigma, brilliant player then would totally lose the plot for a while and become a hindrance then out of nothing back to being brilliant again.

Calum hardie at beith was a bit like this.

One good game and four games after it where you thought it was his twin brother that turned up.

When hardie was on he was on but more often than not he went through games anonymously, Calum had a good pedigree at Linlithgow and pollok but he never really hit it off with us and was a bit of a frustrating type.

An enigma to me is how do teams like the Albert, Newmains, muirkirk, Darvel and others keep going when bigger teams are struggling.

Also how does the SJFA continually fail to promote junior football when other associations continually do so.

Why does the west of Scotland league not have season fixtures when nearly every league can do it.

^ The reason we love football ^

Us supporters are the same.

One minute we offer our full support to a player and our teams the next we are writing them off and offering nothing but abuse!

I do like your question tho so will share my opinion -

My whole team! Lol ha ha

In my opinion I think we have the best squad per man per position than any other team in our league, yet we can go from being spectacular to spectacularly bad and back again from half to half or from game to game!

This plays it's part in our players/teams performances!

The pressure we put on them to perform!

Players are people at the end of the day and regardless of how good a player is they are human and capable of being affected by the stresses and pressures of football and life just like the rest of us.

The wonderful game that is football

An enigma to me is how do teams like the Albert, Newmains, muirkirk, Darvel and others keep going when bigger teams are struggling.

Also how does the SJFA continually fail to promote junior football when other associations continually do so.

Why does the west of Scotland league not have season fixtures when nearly every league can do it.

HERE HERE

it's the old refrain heard at committee meetings up and down the land: "ach, we tried that in nineteen canteen and it didnae work....."

I think it was "Only an Excuse" that defined an enigma as "a player who had a good game once and we're still waiting for it to happen again"

Haha no hard feelings Brian.

You will have been called a few things in your time Jon but have you ever been called an enigma! Ha

Junior football is littered with guys like this but some stand out more than others, some more than others at club frustrate the hell out of you. I have a couple at the moment in particular who fall into this category at my own team.

You will have been called a few things in your time Jon but have you ever been called an enigma! Ha

Junior football is littered with guys like this but some stand out more than others, some more than others at club frustrate the hell out of you. I have a couple at the moment in particular who fall into this category at my own team.

lol enigma no but fat b*****d. Useless fat so and so etc. All good banter I take it on the chins and give it back too lol

Archived