They need us more than we need them

Romeo

It's becoming increasingly obvious that while Scotland would most likely prosper being independent as a result of our natural resources, rUk may actually struggle without us, Quite a few undecideds I have spoken to over the past few days have now committed to vote yes.

It's all good. :thumsup2

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's becoming increasingly obvious that while Scotland would most likely prosper being independent as a result of our natural resources, rUk may actually struggle without us, Quite a few undecideds I have spoken to over the past few days have now committed to vote yes.

ahh the good old Scottish oil,we will be richer than abu dhabi and oman,every one will have mercs and bmws and thousands in our pockets

ahh the good old Scottish oil,we will be richer than abu dhabi and oman,every one will have mercs and bmws and thousands in our pockets

The weather will get better, I'll lose four stones and Scotland will win the World Cup in 2018.

And you'll still talk shite.

You do realise we have other natural resources than just oil don't you?

The weather will get better, I'll lose four stones and Scotland will win the World Cup in 2018.

And you'll still talk shite.

maybe it was shite but what is true is that jobs will be lost no currency aggrement no eu or nato banks moving south happy days

yes but oil is the one everyone talks about as the main resource

If by 'everyone' you mean 'No supporters trying desperately to talk down the Yes campaign' then you're absolutely right.

maybe it was shite but what is true is that jobs will be lost no currency aggrement no eu or nato banks moving south happy days

If there is a YES vote, when none of the above happens I'm not sure what you'll do. Probably decamp back to the football threads.

Just like the UK Government predicted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/6240671/North-Sea-oil-gave-Scotland-massive-budget-surplus-say-Government-records.html

What is 'good' about watching people in another country struggle? I don't agree that Britain would struggle without Scotland by the way, but you have to question someone who would be happy seeing poor people in another country struggle to make ends meet. Nationalism.

I don't think we'll be any richer as a nation.

I do think though that the money we have will be distributed a little more evenly.

Really ...????

I suppose I agree in the short/medium term.

However

I see no reason that in the long term ie 10 years plus that we will not be wealthier.

Once we sort the mess out that we will inherit from the rUK, turn deficit into surplus and clear the debt, I think going on current income/expenditure levels we could be significantly richer as a nation than we otherwise would be in union.

We will need tight fiscal control and taxing the right places at the right levels.

It ain't gonna be utopia...initially????

We will be richer as a nation.

Labour's Devolution Commission stated that, even without factoring in one drop of oil, we will be the 14th richest country in the world. Above the rUK at 18th.

Standard & Poors have stated we would qualify for a AAA rating.

We have 25% of the potential tidal power of Europe and 10% of Europe's wind energy. Enough to export.

Then we have our food and drink, tourism, life science and many other multi-billion pound industries.

We'll be just fine.

I'm going with Peston's view.

There are a lot of variables out there and until we see how negotiations pan out we can't be sure of anything.

I understand why the Yes campaign are making the economic argument - I don't necessarily buy it.

For me this is about politics - and building a more equal society.

Dreadful title, incorrect assumptions and poor patter. Yes, that is coming from me despite some of my chat on here! :lol:

rUK would still be a considerable player in the world of finance, politics and the military. We shouldn't fool ourselves, independence won't make us that much richer or more powerful, it will however make us feel a hell of a lot better about ourselves and accountable for the decisions we make.

This is not for the now, it's for the tomorrow, next week, next year and next generation and the generation after that.

I'm going with Peston's view.

There are a lot of variables out there and until we see how negotiations pan out we can't be sure of anything.

I understand why the Yes campaign are making the economic argument - I don't necessarily buy it.

For me this is about politics - and building a more equal society.

I don't think you can seperate them that easily. If people genuinely want a more equal society then you have to pay for it it. That's one debate politicians seem afraid of having - not just in Scotland. To have a cradle to grave welfare system then taxes (or rather tax income) needs to increase to fund it. One only has to look at Norway - where there is a culture of social responsibility funded by higher taxes. I am not so sure there is the same enthusiasm here - but wouldn't it be refreshingly honest for a party to say they were going to raise taxes and not do it through the back door like previous parties and governments have done?

Archived