The Official Debate - Pie and Bovril Decides

So here's the idea. We'll set aside a time of maybe an hour and a half or two hours one night before the referendum, where three pro-independence and anti-independence posters debate the key issues of the referendum, with a curator in the middle asking the questions. It'll be in the same style as the recent STV one, three one on one discussions and a group chat at the end (maybe no starting and closing speeches right enough). The audience aren't allowed to barge in but they can PM the curator with questions, which he can bring up at designated times.

Before then, all that's needed is to set a time and to find the seven people involved, for example I would imagine VikingTon, SodjesSixteenIncher and one of either Confidemus or Casual Bystander would seem like likely candidates. As a staunch no voter, I'd like RedRob72 to represent the no side. ;)

Personally, I think VT and H-B going head to head in an "official" debate could be something we could sell the rights for.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you think it might be difficult to find a chair who would be completely impartial?

Possibly, but they don't need to be neutral on Scottish Independence to put the questions fairly to both sides.

I really don't think that a yes voting PnBer that's in charge of running this has any reason to want to make it questionable by throwing a biased angle onto it. IMO there are Yes posters on here who could do quite a good job without biased help. If for example it was me (and I don't think that would be a great idea as I'm not the best candidate) I'd want to be as straight down the middle as possible as I think me interfering would degrade the efforts of others making a better case for independence than I could myself.

Possibly, but they don't need to be neutral on Scottish Independence to put the questions fairly to both sides.

I really don't think that a yes voting PnBer that's in charge of running this has any reason to want to make this questionable by throwing a biased angle onto it. IMO there are Yes posters on here who could do quite a good job without biased help.

Are you thinking of a Skype sort of debate, that could be shared 'live' across the board and on what date/time? Just want to make sure I've got a new shirt & tie pressed and that I'm properly 'read up' beforehand?

Would it be also ok to have the option of 'phone a friend' if that's not too much trouble?

Cheers

Jmothecat for the No side, I could take part as well if I could promise not to troll (I think I might be going on the lash that night though.)

maybe Dee can take part representing the "ballot spoilers" side

You would have to be a last minute backup as no-one can be sure which way you will be voting that day. :rolleyes:

Archived