New junior teams

ardeerultra

Has Dunoon ever had a junior team? Was there yesterday & we played at a cracking big stadium with a 800+ seated stand & immaculate pitch. One of our team said he was told it was built for junior football.

It did, yes. Oddly enough, a Scottish Cup tie between Dunoon v Haddington game cropped up in conversation yesterday (Nov-Dec 1969, went to second replay, won by Haddington at Shettleston)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost certain he is Pete Smyth of Pyramid News.

Yes, Mick90 is one of the many alias of Saltcoat's Pete Smyth of Scottish Football Magazine aka Pyramid News.

Any idea why they [Dunoon] chucked junior football?

Cost if I remember the story correctly (the travelling cost in particular for them). The Isle of Bute even boasted two Junior sides back in the early 20th century. In all such cases, all it takes is the local economy to turn sour & outlying sides don't stand a chance.

Yes, Mick90 is one of the many alias of Saltcoat's Pete Smyth of Scottish Football Magazine aka Pyramid News.

Cost if I remember the story correctly (the travelling cost in particular for them). The Isle of Bute even boasted two Junior sides back in the early 20th century. In all such cases, all it takes is the local economy to turn sour & outlying sides don't stand a chance.

The costs would be quite expensive over a season, we were just under £100 for the ferry for a party of 18 & a car. Add in a regular club bus/petrol expenses, it must be hard for the several amateur clubs to run over a season. When its sunny like Saturday was its a great away day, in a cracking ground, (crowd of 35-40, better than some junior crowds), pity junior fans miss out.

Anyone on here can call me Michel ... if they like. Junior football is probably the most backward system in EUROPE, except for Highland and Lowland leagues ... Over 160 clubs (they`ve lost 250 of those in the last 80 years) and supported by LESS THAN 1% of the Scottish public. Anyone ... in any other country ... would clearly identify that as utterly PATHETIC.

Hopefully, we have managed, over the past 20 years, to persuade many of them to become REAL FOOTBALL CLUBS

and ... perhaps (depending on the utterly rotten SPFL-SFA) having a `future` ... but it certainly will not be in the SJFA.

Anyone on here can call me Michel ... if they like. Junior football is probably the most backward system in EUROPE, except for Highland and Lowland leagues ... Over 160 clubs (they`ve lost 250 of those in the last 80 years) and supported by LESS THAN 1% of the Scottish public. Anyone ... in any other country ... would clearly identify that as utterly PATHETIC.

Hopefully, we have managed, over the past 20 years, to persuade many of them to become REAL FOOTBALL CLUBS

and ... perhaps (depending on the utterly rotten SPFL-SFA) having a `future` ... but it certainly will not be in the SJFA.

Are you on the glue mick? Theres junior teams out there with more crowds and ability than most senior teams.

This is why the government's scheme to give all those sponsored by the Care In The Community scheme access to the internet to lessen their tendencies to shitgibbonry doesn't work.

You want us to click on your website about Junior football results to earn you or your business money. I would advise Junior supporters to look elsewhere for their results!!

Aye Junior football certainly is not perfect but we have some things right - price, good quality of football in East & West Super Leagues, West Super League clubs facilities and catering are very good to excellent (East maybe too), attract young fans by offering free entry and work with local youth teams/schools etc. All teams have small band of volunteers who commit huge amount of time and money to their clubs and expect nothing back.

The Talbot fans can argue with you about 1% as sure that isn't right considering 700 plus at their game and around 300 on average at top West Region league games.

I seen an excellent article by Bill Leckie in the Sun today who couldn't praise Talbot higher for large crowd, atmosphere and facilities. Likewise when Meadow were in Senior Scottish Cup visiting fans and reporters really enjoyed our large stand, facilities and atmosphere there was at big Junior Cup or Senior Cup games.

Im speaking in the sense of 3rd division senior, crowd wise- talbot, boness and many more top premier teams.

So not more than "most" Senior teams then. Or even close

I'll challenge the next assertion. '"Many more" top premier teams can match League 2 crowds' - name them.

Does anyone understand anything this bloke writes?

So not more than "most" Senior teams then. Or even close

I'll challenge the next assertion. '"Many more" top premier teams can match League 2 crowds' - name them.

Didn't say a word about league 2 teams a dont recall? As a said was speakin about senior 3rd division where crowds are fairly poor. What is the average attendance of a 2nd division senior team? Is there any juniors that match them?

Didn't say a word about league 2 teams a dont recall? As a said was speakin about senior 3rd division where crowds are fairly poor. What is the average attendance of a 2nd division senior team? Is there any juniors that match them?

Fella, bearing in mind you already made a tool of yourself in this thread (Stirling teams), do yourself a favour and go to BBC sport and look at the names of each Scottish League........wee hint....there is no 3rd division anymore.

Fella, bearing in mind you already made a tool of yourself in this thread (Stirling teams), do yourself a favour and go to BBC sport and look at the names of each Scottish League........wee hint....there is no 3rd division anymore.

Right dad, agreed rookie mistake on my part...

He'd best hope his team doesn't draw Glasgow Perthshire in the Junior Cup or he'll be a bit lost... sure I saw him at Ullapool when they drew Lewis United too.

Remember Graham Roberts was half way to Perth before being told he was expected at Johnstone.

Archived