You want more powers guaranteed? Vote Yes, it *is* that simple.

Casual Bystander

I am really disappointed in the way Salmond has responded to the "new power promises" by saying that "it's not enough". While that is true, it suggests a room for manoeuvre. It should be countered with three main points:

1) They cannot be guaranteed.

2) In 1979, a referendum that the then Yes camp won, we were promised new powers and Westminster reneged on it.

3) It has taken over 700 days for the opposition to present these, 10 days before the election and a week after postal votes had already been sent.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am getting increasingly angry with all this shite. Westminster and the press completely going for it with every single dirty trick they have in their locker. Surely this ultra negative bombardment can't be enough to save the union. Can it? I sincerely hope that Scotland remembers this most vindictive and miserable campaign, plus conniving, panicking, dodgy deals and outright lies. I'm fucking disgusted with the UK now.

I am sure the powers that be think this is a price worth paying.....You can here the conversation.

Politico: But if we give them more powers it will have a terrible impact on the North of the country.

PM: Even better, we give them more powers and these powers hinder rather than help.

Politico: Eh?

GO: Lets promise them whichever powers hurt them the most. I say APD, Income Tax, VAT. We need to protect the city so No to corporation tax. Would this be harmful enough.

Politico: Well yes, this would be devastating.

GO & PM: Good - Lets get it done.

Politico: Just to clarify here. When I said the North of the country, I meant the North of England. Sorry!

GO & PM: Oh f**k!

Is Miliband in Liverpool today purely a coincidence ?

He's there to reassure them that Scotland's new powers won't affect them.

* bump *

So, less than a week before the referendum the Bitters still haven't agreed on what the DevoMaybe powers will be.

Does anyone, even if you are voting No, genuinely believe that we will see significant powers handed to Holyrood before Westminster is dissolved for the general election?

If No voters are truthful with themselves, there won't be any new powers. There is now little doubt that Scotland will suffer with a No vote.

If No voters are truthful with themselves, there won't be any new powers. There is now little doubt that Scotland will suffer with a No vote.

There are two points to that.

Will there be more powers, yes I think there will, but they will not be significant nor what we need - and in many ways I fully understand the other regions say, "well hold on a moment, why just them". There certainly won't be significant powers and as it is with just days before a vote is cast the so called blueprint is still not agreed.

Will Scotland suffer? Oh, you can bet on that. Voting no is effectively saying please punish us for being so rude as to ask for a little more gruel.

Will Scotland suffer? Oh, you can bet on that. Voting no is effectively saying please punish us for being so rude as to ask for a little more gruel.

Can you imagine, in the event of a No vote, Scotland asking Westminster for more money to maintain free education and keep the NHS public?

The response will be a loud and clear "Get to f**k you bottle merchants. You had your chance."

The London-centric press has spent so long building up a hatred and resentment for Scots that it's now seeping through society. I spoke to a family member, who has lived in England for the majority of their life although has kept a Glasgow accent, and she is now regularly hounded because of simply being Scottish. Obviously with the referendum being topical you'd expect the negative feeling to dissipate after the vote but I really do wonder.

The DM, Telegraph and Express have painted us with the same brush they are using to paint refugees and immigrants. I am not so old that I remember signs in London that would say "No Dogs, no blacks and no Irish" on B&B's but it's not that long ago.

Archived