Scottish Airshow

FlyerTon

Since the Tories shut down RAF Leuchars, the RAF Leuchars Airshow (which would have probably either been this weekend or next) is now history.

However, there's a free airshow going on today (6 Sep) in Ayr. Not on the scale of Leuchars but it's free.

http://www.scottishairshow.com/

This starts at 14:00

http://www.scottishairshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Scottish-Airshow-flying-programme-2014.pdf

Saw them testing the fairground rides from my classroom window yesterday. Thankfully none of the kids saw it.

Heard that the parking (wherever it is) is a tenner.

How was double geography?

I've done a fair few Air Shows as ground crew and was always totally amazed at just how 'enthusiast' folk get around these things - we used to have folk trying to break into hangers to get some numbers or blag their way into controlled areas just to take some photos - quite a few of these were utterly tragic individuals who could tell you more about each and every aircraft than the ground crew and pilots themselves,

Few highlights would be when the cold war ended and we started getting Russian fighters over, we'd been told how far behind us they were technically and yet they sent over some incredible machines that could do incredible things (although the stand out was when one took a wrong turn whilst ground taxiing and the exhaust efflux blew over a crowd of OAPs in their wheelchairs :P )

We also had a full house on a very overcast day where the highlight was to be a fly past by Concorde, after a few low passes where you could hear it but not see it we were eventually treated to the sight of just the wheels poking out from the cloud as it rumbled by ^_^

FWIW - the crew who used to trade as the Crunchie wingwalkers but who are now painted up in Breitling colours were a bunch of stuck-up snobs who thought they were some sort of Hollywood stars ... horrible people !!

im going to the Southport air show on the 20th, the Vulcan has been confirmed for it. Will be my first airshow so im looking forward to it.

Noisy f*ckers Vulcans. They were based in Angus in the 1970s and used to fly over my nursery school in Arbroath. Nice looking plane though.

Archived