18th September - Your plans?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strip away the rhetoric and you would struggle to put a fag paper between the major political parties on a whole range of policies. The centre of the political spectrum (not just in Scotland and the UK) is crowded out with politicians chasing those middle voters. It's no coincidence then that parties of the far right and far left have done surprisingly well in recent elections - almost as a protest against the political and economic orthodoxy of the mainstream parties. The question is - would there be a different approach in iScotland? I have serious doubts.

The key difference is where 'the middle' actually is.

I firmly believe that the SE and home counties skew the political spectrum in Britain. Blair et al weren't stupid when they dragged the Labour Party to the right - they finally realised that the middle had shifted. The get rich quick mantra of the 80s set a new course.

Scotland's middle is different - not massively, but significantly enough.

I don't think there will be any massive difference in the short to medium term but as the years go on we'll have a chance to build something fairer - and less selfish.

I've got all of next week off work to psyche myself up.

On the 19th I've been invited to a friends house to take in the results...but she and her husband are both no voters and he's yer typical angry northern irish type...and an ex-cop into the bargain. I'm not sure I can face that!

Instead I may just get up just as the polls close and watch the count action with a case of beer and a few BBQ'd morsels. I just hope I can get some sort of internet stream to watch the fun unfold.

I've got all of next week off work to psyche myself up.

On the 19th I've been invited to a friends house to take in the results...but she and her husband are both no voters and he's yer typical angry northern irish type...land an ex-cop into the bargain. I'm not sure I can face that!

Instead I may just get up just as the polls close and watch the count action with a case of beer and a few BBQ'd morsels. I just hope I can get some sort of internet stream to watch the fun unfold.

I have full day at college then gonna vote yes, my mrs is gonna vote no then we are going to come back to flat and have dinner, maybe a couple drinks then go to sleep then i will prob wake up like an excited child at xmas in middle of night to see whats going on. I got college again friday so can't really enjoy it as i would wish to

I have full day at college then gonna vote yes, my mrs is gonna vote no then we are going to come back to flat and have dinner, maybe a couple drinks then go to sleep then i will prob wake up like an excited child at xmas in middle of night to see whats going on. I got college again friday so can't really enjoy it as i would wish to

Why is your Mrs voting no?

Why is your Mrs voting no?

Usual pish - think its mostly because most the folk she work with her no and her Dads side of the family as well so theres a lot of shit in her head. Its a shame really but she won't be swayed so not a lot i can do.

Usual pish - think its mostly because most the folk she work with her no and her Dads side of the family as well so theres a lot of shit in her head. Its a shame really but she won't be swayed so not a lot i can do.

Fair do's. Does she do the usual No thing of giving off the vibe of "I'd really rather not discuss it at all"?

Fair do's. Does she do the usual No thing of giving off the vibe of "I'd really rather not discuss it at all"?

Yes, absolutely yes. Quite embarrassing to listen to her, just then she said Westminster had it in contract that they would give Scotland more powers if its a yes. She also believes that all public sector workers in Scotland will lose their pensions

Yes, absolutely yes. Quite embarrassing to listen to her, just then she said Westminster had it in contract that they would give Scotland more powers if its a yes. She also believes that all public sector workers in Scotland will lose their pensions

I have found that so often with No voters. This isn't true for all of them, but there is a huge number of No voters who haven't read any facts and base their opinions entirely on what they've read in the papers and see on the television. Then, when you try and discuss it with them, they'd really rather not engage at all.

It's almost as if they're scared of the truth,

I've always said, even when Yes were far behind in the polls, that it was my belief that come the 18th September, enough people would pull their heads out their arses to ensure a Yes win. If only a few more would retract their nappers and engage a bit, we would cruise this.

Archived