18th September - Your plans?

I've taken the week off work and then I'm on holiday the following week.

Will be going up to vote first thing as soon as the polling booths open, drop the wee one at Nursery and then try and keep myself busy for the rest of the day.

Some of the 18th will definitely be spent in the pub, I can see me a nervous wreck all day.

Doubt I'll be getting much sleep the night before or indeed the night of the 18th, even though it still isn't clear what time the result will be announced.

I no longer think No can win this comfortably.

I think it's going to be won by a bawhair either way and it's going to be tense as f**k.

What is everyone else up to on Thursday 18th September?

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've taken the week off work and then I'm on holiday the following week.

What's the difference between taking a week off work and taking a week's holiday?

Not sure whether to take Friday off or not. I do like staying up to watch elections, although there's generally more going on in elections. Not sure if I could stand 10 hours of soundbiting politicians.

Mind you, given some of the doom and gloom predictions from the No camp, Scotland might well turn into a barren apocalyptic war-zone in the event of a Yes vote so it might not matter.

I need to find out how long the count is likely to take place. Obviously places like the Western and Northern Isles will be one of the last places to announce but unlike the EU elections the count won't be on a Sunday so no downing of tools by the wee-free. I am guessing the vote is going to be really close, so any clear indications may not happen until 6 or 8 hours after the polls close. The exit polls should give us some indication.

If the council put up a big scree in George Square, which I hope they do, I might pop along there and see how it all goes.

As a Yes supporter I would love to be in and amongst the party that happens in the result of a Yes vote. If history is made, it will be getting talked about for generations, centuries perhaps, and on an entirely selfish level I'd like to be part of that.

Working on the Friday, but told the boss to expect an erratic showing at best.

Bottle of single malt to be purchased to share with the office by way of celebration/commiseration, then taking what's left of it to the pub I work in to hand out to the regulars for the same reason. Not working in the pub, so will sit with a few other ex pats and get absolutely hammered either way.

ETA, do the polls close at 8pm or 10pm?

Working on the Friday, but told the boss to expect an erratic showing at best.

Bottle of single malt to be purchased to share with the office by way of celebration/commiseration, then taking what's left of it to the pub I work in to hand out to the regulars for the same reason. Not working in the pub, so will sit with a few other ex pats and get absolutely hammered either way.

ETA, do the poles close at 8pm or 10pm?

If it's poles it'll be 10,they're grafters.

I'm working on the 18th. Fortunately the polling station is just round the corner from where my bus drops me off so I'll cast my vote on the way home.

I'm off on the Friday, which has been booked for months. Me and the mrs plan to stay up all night, which should be fun since the kids are off school on the Friday.

Vote yes

go to work

Go home and sit up all night hoping we don't waste the chance of a life time

yep, exactly the same. If its a No I will be gutted but will dread the coming huge financial cuts as England get their revenge for our audacity for self determination.

I'm thinking I'll pop along to vote about 10'ish. I'm guessing that'll be when the queues will be at it's lowest. People rushing to get to work will be in the booths between 7 (I think that's when they open) until 9'ish. Then there will be a lunchtime rush, say between 12 and 2, then it'll be fucking mayhem from about 5 until the polls close with between 8 and 10 being an absolute nightmare as people dash to make it before they close.

Out of interest are all schools closed on the day, or just ones used for polling stations? I'm guessing there will be a rush from about 3 to 5 of parents who have just picked their kids up and are making their way to vote.

Working the Thursday, off to the US on holiday for a fortnight on the Friday with the family. Hopefully the result will be out before I board the plane or it will be the most uncomfortable 8 hour flight ever!

Get up and vote no before heading to uni, should be off on the Friday so will hopefully be enjoying waking up still being British. :)

You realise that no matter the result, you will still be British?

Already voted by post. Go to work, not staying up for it, don't think I could take it. I got cuaght up in all the momentum excitement but have reclaimed my cynical poise. Will wake up to the No vote and get on with the rest of my life in the sure knowledge that nothing can or ever will change.

Archived