Old Public Information Films

FlyerTon

During the 90s, Northern Ireland churned out some pretty graphic road safety adverts. This one for (or against rather) drink driving is pretty harrowing - although quite comical at the same time.

It could also be construed as "Drink and drive to make your car do tricks normally seen in The Dukes of Hazzard".

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Protect and Survive clips are ridiculous when you think about them; survive a nuclear attack by hiding under a few doors etc.

Am I right in thinking they were never actually broadcast?

They were only for use in the event of a nuclear attack, and even then chances are nobody would have seen them anyway, as the electromagnetic pulse from an airburst would have knocked out TV reception.

Just as well they never spent all that much money on them.

The Protect and Survive clips are ridiculous when you think about them; survive a nuclear attack by hiding under a few doors etc.

Am I right in thinking they were never actually broadcast?

I'm sure I remember reading that the point of them was so that people didn't spend their final moments on earth in a state of complete hopelessness. By encouraging them to get under a desk it might have made them think they could survive.

I remember one from around the early nineties which was about equality for the disabled & featured a thalidomide woman making scrambled egg n toast.

She had a manual whisk under her chin & rattled her heid about to scramble the eggs.

One of the most exotic wanks of my career.

Archived