List of countries that have opted out of UK rule then asked to rejoin.

Casual Bystander

^^^True that NI had to opt back in after initially being in the Free State.

I take the point you are making but the United Kingdom didn't exist until 1707.

Think you'll find the terms UK and Great Britain were actually first pushed by the Jacobite dynasty after the Union of the Crowns. There's also the question of whether Cromwell's Commonwealth counts as a "UK" despite being a parliamentary republic.

List of countries who voted for independence and have been vetoed the f**k out of by Spain...

I'm guessing you missed "EU" in that statement, but it's also the same list.. :)

List of non ex-Soviet countries who voted for independence and then were invaded by Russia...

Lucky we have wee Ruth with her finger poised over the button to keep those pesky Russians at bay.

Think you'll find the terms UK and Great Britain were actually first pushed by the Jacobite dynasty after the Union of the Crowns. There's also the question of whether Cromwell's Commonwealth counts as a "UK" despite being a parliamentary republic.

The United Kingdom did not exist until 1707. That's not really debatable.

The Cromwell one is an interesting one, it isn't one I had considered when posting this (clearly tongue in cheek) thread. I suppose you could maybe argue the case although it would be an interesting debate. If you could give me a convincing argument then I am happy to add England to the original list.

Archived