A Question For No Voters

Gaz

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why an educated fellow like you can surely follow a conversation. How about you go back over the thread and read.

Nope - can't see where they figures come from (or even why they are especially relevant to this thread).

The ANC, the African equivalent of the SNP, are a one party state.

Not really a good comparison - actually an awful comparison.

More like Ireland where the pre-independence groups persisted in the shape of Fine Gael and Fianna Fail. Fianna Fail are still essentially a catch-all party and have been the dominant force in Irish politics - 56 years in government since 1933.

Not really a good comparison - actually an awful comparison.

More like Ireland where the pre-independence groups persisted in the shape of Fine Gael and Fianna Fail. Fianna Fail are still essentially a catch-all party and have been the dominant force in Irish politics - 56 years in government since 1933.

Has there ever been a party that has delivered independence then fallen on its sword?

They are politicians after all. They'd sell their grannies on EBay for the hint of power.

Are we not the fastest growing economy in the G7 this year? that was certainly predicted to be the case in March.

I mean I know.. I know.. basket case, hell in a handcart.. LONDON... war..famine... foodbanks etc.

Why an educated fellow like you can surely follow a conversation. How about you go back over the thread and read.

Nope - can't see where they figures come from (or even why they are especially relevant to this thread).

It is entirely relevant to both the poster and the post. Thanks for admitting that you are not educated enough to follow a conversation. Glasgow Uni eh?

Are we not the fastest growing economy in the G7 this year? that was certainly predicted to be the case in March.

I mean I know.. I know.. basket case, hell in a handcart.. LONDON... war..famine... foodbanks etc.

How does our economy compare to the other G7 countries when compered to pre-crash levels, that's a better comparison, and I've no idea b4 you ask.

You can double a quid and have 2 quid or you can half a fiver and have 2 and a half quid,who's better placed to buy something at 2 quid and a penny?

I know you have already admitted that you don't know about economics but this one is really basic.

When you are borrowing a larger percentage of GDP than the economy is growing by then you are not really expanding at all. Would you rather be Germany with a net growth of 1.6% or the UK with a net growth of -2%

Edited to correct the over positive position of the UK as it is based on next years projections rather than the current year.

You might be correct with the first part, but that in itself does not mean the UK is doing well.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-02/london-wealth-masks-northern-poverty-in-two-speed-u-k-.html

There is also growing concern that the housing bubble in London is at some point going to undo a lot of the good that the recent consumer led growth(For consumer led, you can probably read "debt") has done.

Wait, what?

Immigration is only the solution if it increases total tax revenue. Now of course the majority of immigrants do work and pay taxes, however them coming over and getting a job is at the expense of a British person getting a job. The total tax revenue is exactly the same, and the government is on hook for social money for the Brit who is out of work.

Now, if the total number of jobs in the economy was increased, now we're talking. Large scale projects like HS2 and the proposed Heathrow expansion will provide this short term, but at the government's expense. Perhaps the real solution is encouraging more people to start small and medium sized businesses.

Er, no. Immigration has been of a net economic benefit to the country over the past 20 years, which is largely the period people are concerned about (given the media's propensity to label this period as a free-for-all).

How does our economy compare to the other G7 countries when compered to pre-crash levels, that's a better comparison, and I've no idea b4 you ask.

I know we are now back to the levels we were pre-crash. No idea about the others.

I know we are now back to the levels we were pre-crash. No idea about the others.

In a numerical sense, perhaps, but I don't think that accounts for inflation. There are far more pounds in circulation than there were pre crash. I might be wrong there, but I'm fairly sure that's the case.

For the "No vote will mean ARMAGEDDON - housing bubble... BASKET CASE!!!" types, would they like to indicate exactly what might happen after the No vote?

We've had "IMF will have to bailout the UK" before - any advances on that?

For the "No vote will mean ARMAGEDDON - housing bubble... BASKET CASE!!!" types, would they like to indicate exactly what might happen after the No vote?

We've had "IMF will have to bailout the UK" before - any advances on that?

Unless there is some serious stupidity, there won't be a massive negative effect on either side. If Scotland does not use sterling I expect there will be an impact on the FX markets which could do a little bit of damage, but realistically all that means is some speculators will make a lot of money, and some will lose. The basket case/armageddon line is bull shit on both sides.

When Nelson Mandela died, Mr Bairn stood next to the memorial scratching his head and asking passers-by "did he no die a the Battle of Trafalgar"? His sympathy tricorner and Union Jack attracted funny looks.

Unless there is some serious stupidity, there won't be a massive negative effect on either side. If Scotland does not use sterling I expect there will be an impact on the FX markets which could do a little bit of damage, but realistically all that means is some speculators will make a lot of money, and some will lose. The basket case/armageddon line is bull shit on both sides.

Agreed.

And iScotland's projected position?

What about it? I never stated anything about Scotland's projected position.

You are now reverting to type by trying to deflect from your original, if flawed, point.

Why don't you just admit that your knowledge of economics is bordering on Reynard levels of stupidity. Failing that perhaps provide some evidence to counter the point that I made in regards to your post. You know the one that requires the application of simple arithmetic that shows that UK government borrowing was higher than the rise in GDP.

Archived