All things Dundee FC

McPake said that we were looking at 2-3 more signings regardless if the Adam deal came off or not.
Let's assume 1 is Nicholas Hamilton, the other is a striker and whilst I'd hope the 3rd would be a goalkeeper, I reckon it'd be a CH.
I also honestly believe that if Osman Sow is given a trial it's with the purpose of allowing the team to play with a proper shape in the closed door games rather than with full intentions of signing him - although the carrot should be dangled, obviously.
Finally, Ferrie is one of the highest rated keepers at his level. Gourlay was another and we chose Ferrie over him. Ferrie whilst still young for a keeper, is 22 now and has the opportunity of a lifetime to solidfy himself as our number 1 for years to come. I've seen him once in the flesh (Against Elgin) and wasn't impressed (Even if I placed zero blame on him for his sending off) but equally he has won PotY and YPotY at Stirling in League 2 in his only full season of football. He needs to be given a proper chance this season and I'd give him that chance over a known extremely average keeper like Hazard tbh. (Although ultimately I hope we pull something out the bag)
There is a very good chance he can be the answer to our problems. The worry is that if he isn't, we'll, we're fucked!

Surely we will be signing Church?

I''m still hugely concerned about our midfield. It's essentially the same as August - January last season, + Charlie Adam. We badly lacked running and dig no matter which combination of players we tried, that was only partially helped once Ross Callachan came in, and I don't expect Charlie Adam to solve that particular problem either.

So aside from the fact that I believe Hamilton is a liability that will cost us points, we have no depth at all at Centre Half if we're going to be playing three at the back, and we don't really have a striker that you'd describe as a hold-up type that the ball will stick to... aye.

Hopefully Ferrie will supplant the liability or we sign a loan keeper, McGhee/Forster/Ashcroft actually plays much more solidly than I'm expecting or we can somehow conjure another Berra-type signing from somewhere, McPake is successful in his obvious determination to sign some sort of lump to play up front, and our corps of crocks, statues, and codgers in midfield have grown bionic legs over lockdown. It's encouraging that there are now some genuine youngsters in the first team squad, but I'm getting the distinct impression they are there purely because there's no other place at the club for them, rather than them ascending to 1st team status on playing ability. I wouldn't be surprised to see every single one of them loaned out, although it genuinely would be great if one or more kicked on and held down a place in the 11.

I think it's going to be a weird season for all the obvious reasons, but the state of the squad is giving me heebie geebies, and I wont be surprised to see us caught with our pants down yet again, sitting in 4th or 5th after the first round of matches.

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Sow does not score enough and has a history of injury problems.

Sounds like a typical Dundee signing.

In the past 6 years both players are about level on goals scored and that's despite Sow being a perma-crock. Let's not go for the 'doesn't score goals' route. 

1 minute ago, Mr. Alli said:

In the past 6 years both players are about level on goals scored and that's despite Sow being a perma-crock. Let's not go for the 'doesn't score goals' route. 

They also play different positions though. Ciftci plays a lot deeper whilst Sow is an out and out striker.

I can’t stand Spandau Ballet.  The White Stripes are OK.  For those two reasons alone I’d rather have Ciftci.

ETA only United fans would be sad and enough to sing a song about Sow to the tune of Gold.  Still rather have Ciftci though.

Edited by Shadow Play

I watched the Osman Sow goals video from his time at Hearts in the attempt to convince myself it won't be as bad as I fear if we sign him, and I can't help but think that 2014-15 Osman Sow is exactly the type of player we need: a big bully who the more squirrelly Mullen and Jakubiak can play off of, and can undo defenses with strength and precision.

Problem being, we're stuck with 2020 Osman Sow rn, and unless he has a stormer against Cove tomorrow I don't think I can pretend to myself he can become that player again and therefore want him to sign. Here's hoping though, I suppose...