All things Dundee FC

Apparently we're getting a loanee from Luton Town, defender Corey Panter. 20 years old, can play CB or left back.

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/luton-defender-signs-new-development-contract-ahead-of-potential-dundee-loan-switch-3279474

A trial for a loan is a weird one tbh imo

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Apparently we're getting a loanee from Luton Town, defender Corey Panter. 20 years old, can play left back or CB.

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/luton-defender-signs-new-development-contract-ahead-of-potential-dundee-loan-switch-3279474

A trial for a loan is a weird one tbh imo

I think we should be aiming a little higher for loan deals imo.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I think we should be aiming a little higher for loan deals imo.

Seems really inexperienced from the article but highly rated. Is that maybe why we are just taking him on a trial first?

Good to see we are looking at another LB/CB though

Luton fans seem quite high on him FWIW. Asked a couple, and while their knowledge too is limited due to his lack of first team game time, they say from what they have seen of him that he seems composed on the ball, decent in the air, strong and composed.

Here's hoping it works out if we do indeed decide to bring him in on loan.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Good signing policy from McPake, IMO, players in their early twenties, (wanting to progress/no fear) got enough experience in the squad, so can accommodate this.

Yep, beats signing the same journeyman over and over.

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Tbf, seems like he'd mostly be a squad player, and having an extra defensive option definitely isn't a bad thing imo.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Luton fans seem quite high on him FWIW. Asked a couple, and while their knowledge too is limited due to his lack of first team game time, they say from what they have seen of him that he seems composed on the ball, decent in the air, strong and composed.

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Good signing policy from McPake, IMO, players in their early twenties, (wanting to progress/no fear) got enough experience in the squad, so can accommodate this.

25 minutes ago, The Derry said:

Yep, beats signing the same journeyman over and over.

I do like the way he is going signing loan guys in their early 20's, however last season we got guy on the Spurs fringes, now we are looking at a guy that can't get a game for Luton. That's what I meant.

Appears on the surface to be a healthy Charlie Adam input and influence regarding our previous signing Ryan Sweeney, obviously being an ex Stoke City colleague and now his manager in his final season at the Potteries Nathan Jones is also willing to loan a player from Luton Town in the English Championship. Coincidence, who knows?

Anyway, Charlie Adam lining up against Dundee United is not about money as per Charlie Mulgrew, this is after all what he's dreamt about since he was a lad.

We will however have to protect Charlie in high octane games such as these against Scottish Championship level hammer throwers, imho. 

Clocks are ticking, cannot wait.

Regards  

22 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I do like the way he is going signing loan guys in their early 20's, however last season we got guy on the Spurs fringes, now we are looking at a guy that can't get a game for Luton. That's what I meant.

Saving a few pennies for a marquee signing 

44 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

That's harsh. Luton finished 12th in the Championship just there. They've signed this guy up as a promising youngster. We've not even signed him yet, just wanting to take a look to see if he is ready for this level.

Contrast that with say, Oli Crankshaw who was with League 1 Wigan at the time, slightly older than this guy and subsequently released to Bradford. That guy was cracking in his short spell.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

That's harsh. Luton finished 12th in the Championship just there. They've signed this guy up as a promising youngster. We've not even signed him yet, just wanting to take a look to see if he is ready for this level.

Contrast that with say, Oli Crankshaw who was with League 1 Wigan at the time, slightly older than this guy and subsequently released to Bradford. That guy was cracking in his short spell.

Crankshaw was cracking in a mediocre squad in the Championship.

I just think we are a couple of steps above Luton (I am now prepared for certain other team's vultures to pick at that statement) and if he is not good enough to start for them, I don't see why we should be some kind of experiment/test for him.

If it's loan deals we are looking at, then the likes of Fagan-Walcott is where we should be trying.

And if it is for back up then we should be progressing our own youths imo.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Crankshaw was cracking in a mediocre squad in the Championship.

I just think we are a couple of steps above Luton (I am now prepared for certain other team's vultures to pick at that statement) and if he is not good enough to start for them, I don't see why we should be some kind of experiment/test for him.

I'm sorry to tell you this Johnny, but Luton are definitely above us in terms of how good they are currently. Any mid-table Championship team in England is probably comparable to an Aberdeen or Hibs, and likely command bigger wages than them. For example, they've just signed Allan Campbell, probably Motherwell's best player, and that's certainly something that a Hibs or Aberdeen would do imo.

Plus, the lad's not even on loan yet, he's basically getting trialled to even get that, so I don't see what the problem with that. If he's not up to it, he heads back down south. I see this as a low-risk opportunity to see if this boy has something about him to have an impact in senior football.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

5 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Fully expecting him to have 20 'Composure' in FM now.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I'm sorry to tell you this Johnny, but Luton are definitely above us in terms of how good they are currently. Any mid-table Championship team in England is probably comparable to an Aberdeen or Hibs, and likely command bigger wages than them. For example, they've just signed Allan Campbell, probably Motherwell's best player, and that's certainly something that a Hibs or Aberdeen would do imo.

Plus, the lad's not even on loan yet, he's basically getting trialled to even get that, so I don't see what the problem with that. If he's not up to it, he heads back down south. I see this as a low-risk opportunity to see if this boy has something about him to have an impact in senior football.

Don't agree with this at all. 

This is always the way Scottish teams get talked down, Scottish prem teams are easy mid table English Prem.

Burnley needing extra time to beat Aberdeen, Hearts getting draws down at Liverpool and Spurs. This is the only evidence we have competitively, but if we could use friendlies, we can both agree Man City are pish. 😉

We just witnessed on Friday, the EPL young player of the year getting his arse handed to him by a Motherwell player.

Scottish fitba is better than you think and English fitba isn't as good as folk make out.

We are definitely a few steps above Luton.

Edited by johnnydun

Scottish prem teams are easy mid-table English Prem

Yet they go to play mid-table Czech, Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Slovakian sides in the Europa League and get their arses utterly handed to them on a regular basis.

maybe I'm being whooshed, but you are completely delusional if you think Hibs, Aberdeen, Livingston etc are 'mid-table English Prem'.