All things Dundee FC

13 minutes ago, The Master said:

The warning signs were there last season. 

United's shiteness just took the spotlight off how rotten we were as well. 

Last season I thought we were a couple of defensive players away from having a very good side at our level. Basically a couple of big strong bruts, the exact opposite of a Hartley type signing. GGH, Stewart and Hemmings were a joy to watch.  

8 minutes ago, K.T said:

I remember being thankful we still had Hemmings and Stewart towards the end of the window. Particularly Hemmings. When he was through on goal you knew he was going to score. His composure was excellent and I thought he would carry us this season as I expected Stewart to go to Rangers. Losing Kane was unexpected and ultimately the major part in how shite our season has been, imo. We've created plenty of chances and we've had opportunities where we've been through on goal but lacked that composure to bury chances. Especially early in the season. f**k knows what happened to the team mentally but we seemed to get worse and worse as the season wore on. I think we just have a bang average team with no leaders. They all hide and lack the ability to go up a level to win a game with an extra bit of class. The sad thing is I can't remember us ever having players of the calibre of Hemmings and Stewart for many years and I can't see us digging up any gems like them for years either.

Spot on. Said at the game on Wednesday that if we had Hemmings in our side we would've be in a lot better position. For how well Haber plays in holding the ball up and winning most stuff in the air his finishing is criminal. I wasn't at the game today but went to the other 4 games since the split and Haber's missed at least 5 very, very simple chances in these games alone. 

Edited by Yenitit

The thing that worries me about McCann, more than anything else, have been his subs. It's hard to judge in 5 games, but I think it's very plain to see that when Haber is not in the 11, we have no presence, no ball retention, nothing. Regardless if he's having a bad game or not, he was integral to our play. To basically surrender both games in taking Haber off was bizarre. (Not that we'd have launched a comeback, but still)

There's not a lot to judge McCann on hence why that's a bit overemphasised, but it is something that has concerned me and it's not the only subs that I've found a bit strange in his short tenure.

I remember being thankful we still had Hemmings and Stewart towards the end of the window. Particularly Hemmings. When he was through on goal you knew he was going to score. His composure was excellent and I thought he would carry us this season as I expected Stewart to go to Rangers. Losing Kane was unexpected and ultimately the major part in how shite our season has been, imo. We've created plenty of chances and we've had opportunities where we've been through on goal but lacked that composure to bury chances. Especially early in the season. f**k knows what happened to the team mentally but we seemed to get worse and worse as the season wore on. I think we just have a bang average team with no leaders. They all hide and lack the ability to go up a level to win a game with an extra bit of class. The sad thing is I can't remember us ever having players of the calibre of Hemmings and Stewart for many years and I can't see us digging up any gems like them for years either.

One of the more telling views when Hartley got his marching orders was Kevin Thomson.
While I appreciate there may have been an axe to grind because of the way things ended it was interesting that he said Hartley persuaded him to sign because he told him everything was going to go through him.
The absolute frustration every week of waiting to see if he'd play or not aside things were certainly better when he played, but if that was Hartley's plan how did he expect to operate it when Thomson went and there was no player of a similar type brought in?
We have so many similar midfielders and not one it seems who can do that job.

Thomson was awful, don't make me get into my fact file.

Time to move on anyway :-)

I remember him coming on last season in a Derby at Dens (the one where guy demel was sent off) and as soon as he was on the park it was clear that it was time for the celebratory cigars to be lit as he took charge and we controlled it from then on.

We need a complete overhaul starting with the manager(be it McCann or someone else) ,there are lots of very good cheap players out of contract that could come straight into our first 11. We have the weakest bench in the league we have about 5 people on the bench 3 of which are youth.

My round up of the season.

Cup runs - SHITE

League form - SHITE

Summer signings - SHITE

I had convinced myself by half time at East Fife game (1st game of the season) that this year was away to be horrendous and 10th was the best I was looking for. Hartley had a fucking shocker last summer.  

I remember walking out of New Bayview after that game and a girl saying to me something along the lines of - "every flipping year it's the same thing. We get our hopes up and we get the same old shite".

She was a total wid btw.

I remember walking out of New Bayview after that game and a girl saying to me something along the lines of - "every flipping year it's the same thing. We get our hopes up and we get the same old shite".

She was a total wid btw.

And clearly used to disappointment. Opportunities don't come along like that every day.

Thomson was good but let's not forget the fact that, like G_Man said, he very much did not want to be here and couldn't be arsed half the time. Not denying the fact that he was the exact type of player we needed, but he was not the guy. Could have been a great player for us but had a shite attitude. Funny how people forget that.

Roberts also could have been fucking exceptional.

None of that was the point I was making. Thomson for his obvious qualities frustrated me to buggery because he hardly played, in the mould of our great permanently injured midfielders of the past.

The point was Hartley apparently had a plan, and then when the linchpin of that plan fucked off he didn't replace it, obviously relying on Hemmings Stewart and Harkins quality to compensate.

No wonder this year was a nightmare.

Our last day record in the top flight since the inception of the SPL:

2016/17: Hamilton 4-0 Dundee.

2015/16: Inverness 4-0 Dundee.

2014/15: Dundee United 3-0 Dundee.

2012/13: Hibernian 1-0 Dundee.

2004/05: Livingston 1-1 Dundee.

2003/04: Aberdeen 1-2 Dundee.

2002/03: Hearts 1-0 Dundee.

2001/02: Motherwell 2-1 Dundee.

2000/01: Hearts 2-0 Dundee.

1999/00: Dundee 0-2 Aberdeen.

1998/99: St Johnstone 1-0 Dundee.

So 4 goals in 11 games. 1 win and 1 draw (Which seen us relegated) combined with 9 losses. 22 goals conceded in 11 games. We don't really like sending the fans home with some encouragement on the final day of the season. It's also slightly interesting that we've only had 1 home game on the final day of the season in the top flight in 11 attempts.

We lost 7/12 points to Inverness and 7/12 points to Hamilton this season.

That's 20% of both those teams points for the WHOLE season coming against us. How we stayed up this season is an absolute miracle.

Our last day record in the top flight since the inception of the SPL:
2016/17: Hamilton 4-0 Dundee.
2015/16: Inverness 4-0 Dundee.
2014/15: Dundee United 3-0 Dundee.
2012/13: Hibernian 1-0 Dundee.
2004/05: Livingston 1-1 Dundee.
2003/04: Aberdeen 1-2 Dundee.
2002/03: Hearts 1-0 Dundee.
2001/02: Motherwell 2-1 Dundee.
2000/01: Hearts 2-0 Dundee.
1999/00: Dundee 0-2 Aberdeen.
1998/99: St Johnstone 1-0 Dundee.
So 4 goals in 11 games. 1 win and 1 draw (Which seen us relegated) combined with 9 losses. 22 goals conceded in 11 games. We don't really like sending the fans home with some encouragement on the final day of the season. It's also slightly interesting that we've only had 1 home game on the final day of the season in the top flight in 11 attempts.

Is it not said that the SJ players' annual bonus is the money the club receives from the league for their final league position hence they always finish strongly. Seems like a good idea to me.

I remember one year we got promoted, party at Dens on the final day. Local bands playing live before ko, balloons etc - we got horsed by Montrose.