All things Dundee FC

Oh dear.

'Negotiations have not yet begun with John Nelms'

So, nothing confirmed then. Usual Courier pish from the DC Thomsons' primary Tory DAB rag. How the f**k can he commit his future to Dundee if he hasn't been offered the job? Waste of fucking paper.

Thank you.

Edited by LiamDFC

1 minute ago, LiamDFC said:

Oh dear.

'Negotiations have not yet begun with John Nelms'

So, nothing confirmed then. Usual Courier pish from the DC Thomsons' primary Tory DAB rag. Waste of fucking paper.

Thank you.

Spot on.

Wouldn't imagine anything will be discussed until we're mathematically safe. 

Am I right in thinking if we win, a result other than draw in Motherwell v Accies sees us safe? And even a draw would almost guarantee it?

4 minutes ago, richDFC said:

Wouldn't imagine anything will be discussed until we're mathematically safe. 

Am I right in thinking if we win, a result other than draw in Motherwell v Accies sees us safe? And even a draw would almost guarantee it?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Den Spark said:

We've also got Kerr Waddell, who was a standout for the Under 20s this season and picked up a bit of experience playing for Clyde in the past half dozen games.

There's Matty Allan as well I suppose, he's got a fair bit of first team experience in the various loans he's had and has been kept around in the youths despite various others coming and going. Don't know how good he's been since he's had that bad leg injury he had but he's pretty highly thought of by the looks of things.

Actually, on the subject of the youngsters, does anyone go to the Under 20 games, or watch them on DEE TV or something regularly for you exiles?

I'd like to know what your thoughts are on the crop of players in line to possibly make the step up. Are there any boys who make you think we've got a potential player there or should already be on the fringes and coming off the bench on occasion?

There's Matty Allan as well I suppose, he's got a fair bit of first team experience in the various loans he's had and has been kept around in the youths despite various others coming and going. Don't know how good he's been since he's had that bad leg injury he had but he's pretty highly thought of by the looks of things.

Actually, on the subject of the youngsters, does anyone go to the Under 20 games, or watch them on DEE TV or something regularly for you exiles?

I'd like to know what your thoughts are on the crop of players in line to possibly make the step up. Are there any boys who make you think we've got a potential player there or should already be on the fringes and coming off the bench on occasion?

I've caught a few games this season at Links Park. I don't think Matty Allan will make it at Dundee, he could probably become a decent League 1 or maybe lower Championship player but that's about it. Kyle Gourlay looks a decent keeper and Ian Smith is a good wee player but that's about it.

Over the past six or seven seasons I've attended almost every 'home' game and a fair number of away games, but I think it's unfair to discuss on a forum individual laddies' chances of making the grade.

I used to report on the games and, while I would give praise to anyone who excelled, I would never criticise a youngster in my reports for having a bad game.

They all have their dreams of becoming a professional footballer and it would not be right for people on here to say which ones will make it and which ones won't. The boys and their parents probably read these forums. We all have our opinions but we should keep them to ourselves where the youngsters are concerned.

29 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

I used to report on the games and, while I would give praise to anyone who excelled, I would never criticise a youngster in my reports for having a bad game.

Never really asked for criticism of them though, even specified what I was asking for. Which were specifically positive opinions on who is looking good.

Can't completely shelter a 17-21 year old, they are young players and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of them don't specifically come on forms like this or other to see who the fans were impressed by.

I agree, criticism should be kept to yourself, that's the job for the young player's coaches but, you can't seriously be saying not to praise them as well.

I know if I had made it to their level I'd have went looking for what people thought I was doing well to give me motivation to have kept pushing myself, there wasn't enough positive stuff from parents and families when I was playing sunday league as a kid. I remember verbal lashings, all be it toned down ones being shouted my way when my coach put me at left back one game and I had a crap game but if you had a good game or set up a goal all you got was a pat on the head from your coach or your parents, at grassroutes level in the late 90's, early 00's it was all about who scored or occasionally the goalkeeper, knowing yourself you had a good game wasn't enough to keep you going.

I played for various Sunday boys clubs till U15's or went to school in the same year with some who have gone on to play League 1 and 2 football or made it to reserve/U20 level, all of them got noticed and scouted for teams as strikers. Scott Johnston for example played for Montrose till last season, a good mate of mine got scouted for Celtic before packing it in when he ruptured his Achilles, again as a striker, then another Kevin Buchan a couple years younger than me but is Scott's cousin, now at Cove Rangers I think. Leighton was two years below me in school as well.

There are a few others who have got to U20 level before eventually packing it in, or going into coaching themselves in some cases because they lost motivation for the game or their progress stifled for some reason they identified and want to help correct.

Praising them is not a bad thing.

Fair points raised — it's probably unfair to discuss young players while they're still developing as there's just no way of measuring their ability. @dburns; I know you're not inviting critisism but I guess it's the next natural step of the conversation... 'he's not good enough, will never make it' type chat. This has come back to bite me in the arse a few times and I'll happily admit I was wrong about a few players as they were coming up.

One embarrassing example of this (on my part) would be Craig Forsyth; I thought he was utterly dreadful for us, but then all of a sudden he came on to a game, was great getting forward and contributed to some very important goals for us. Not only that; he's gone on to surpass that form and prove me to be a fucking idiot for doubting him.

I guess you just don't know until they get a decent run in the first team.

Thank you.

44 minutes ago, LiamDFC said:

Fair points raised — it's probably unfair to discuss young players while they're still developing as there's just no way of measuring their ability. @dburns; I know you're not inviting critisism but I guess it's the next natural step of the conversation... 'he's not good enough, will never make it' type chat. This has come back to bite me in the arse a few times and I'll happily admit I was wrong about a few players as they were coming up.

One embarrassing example of this (on my part) would be Craig Forsyth; I thought he was utterly dreadful for us, but then all of a sudden he came on to a game, was great getting forward and contributed to some very important goals for us. Not only that; he's gone on to surpass that form and prove me to be a fucking idiot for doubting him.

I guess you just don't know until they get a decent run in the first team.

Thank you.

It's true, it can bite you on the arse.

I went fucking nuts when we signed T.C. from the Arabs, I had been slagging him off for months because I thought he was shite.

I told him this face to face after the last game of the season against Thistle in the Dundee clubbie while we were both pished and he forgave me.

I think I tried to neck with him as well.

Thank you.

Edited because I am illiterate at times.

Edited by eindhovendee

Rumour on social media that our deal with Puma could be finished at the end of the season. I can't remember the exact date but we had our new strips out quite early last year. Certainly before the school holidays anyway.

I like Puma but I think it's time for a change.