All things Dundee FC

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hartley basically disowns players he wants rid of.

Seems a bit of a risky strategy that is it not? Footballers seem a very "clique-y" bunch.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seems a bit of a risky strategy that is it not? Footballers seem a very "clique-y" bunch.

Alex Ferguson* didn't do too badly out of a similar strategy whenever it was required but I take your point.

* I'm not trying to liken Hartely to Ferguson

10 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Alex Ferguson* didn't do too badly out of a similar strategy whenever it was required but I take your point.

* I'm not trying to liken Hartely to Ferguson

Alex Ferguson admitted in his autobiography that he travelled into the future and based his management style on Hitman Hartley.

Great news. Was it a good one? I would like to see footage of this.

Eta: i would like to bring it to the attention of my fellow Dees that Lichtie78 was disgusted at the recent love in on the Arbroath v dabs thread and finished one of his posts with DDYB. Arbroath's top poster.

Hoping and praying its included in our highlights package. If it is I shall return here and post it.

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 12:27, SweeperDee said:

Not bothered about him leaving if we can bring in a replacement.

Unlikely we could get anyone close to the same class as Harkins given we will probably have to give quite a pay-out to move him on and if there are good players out there then presumably they are already signed up to another club by this stage. Harkins is exactly the kind of option we could do with. Hartley appears to have made a right mess of this one. What does it say to players that are thinking of joining us - manager that forces players to change their contracts on his whim or gets he them to train with youths.  

2 minutes ago, DieDee said:

Unlikely we could get anyone close to the same class as Harkins given we will probably have to give quite a pay-out to move him on and if there are good players out there then presumably they are already signed up to another club by this stage. Harkins is exactly the kind of option we could do with. Hartley appears to have made a right mess of this one. What does it say to players that are thinking of joining us - manager that forces players to change their contracts on his whim or gets he them to train with youths.  

Can people please stop saying this? It's very obviously not as simple as that and we don't know the full story yet.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Club really seem to be pushing to boat out to try and get 4500 season ticket sales: Link. 

A guarantee to play all season like the second half on Saturday would sort out the sales I reckon.

I wonder if season ticket sales have been held back a bit by the slow start to pre-season (including the League Cup) and some fans worrying what might happen if / when we sell Stewart and Hemmings?

I was sitting at half time Saturday wondering why the f**k I purchased a season ticket this year.

Sales do seem a bit slow, hopefully many more will buy this weekend now that it's end of the month. I doubt it and the novelty of being back up in the premiership has probably worn off on a few people. Sad thing to say but it's probably true.

8000+ Dees turned up for the Get Doon Derby so there are numbers out there. I think we'll need to see top 4/5 finishes as well as good cup runs to see significant increases in the average home support. Finishing 8/9 in the league, always losing to the top teams and getting papped out the cups early on isn't going to get more folk in the door.

12 minutes ago, Daydream said:

8000+ Dees turned up for the Get Doon Derby so there are numbers out there. I think we'll need to see top 4/5 finishes as well as good cup runs to see significant increases in the average home support. Finishing 8/9 in the league, always losing to the top teams and getting papped out the cups early on isn't going to get more folk in the door.

It's a vicious circle, the less fans through the door, the less ambitious we can be, the less ambitious we are, the less fans we can get through the door.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's a vicious circle, the less fans through the door, the less ambitious we can be, the less ambitious we are, the less fans we can get through the door.

True.  All well ran clubs are the same.  I'm OK with our current status and level of ambition.

It'll be interesting to see how United's crowds suffer over the next 5 to 10 years as their average league position and cup runs will undoubtedly diminish.  I expect they'll have good crowds this season and their first season back up, but if they settle into the kind of club that scrapes the odd top 6 with limited/no cup success (like us tbf) I feel their crowds will come down.  

You've only got to look at Kilmarnock and their crowds to see what life at the meh end of the top flight can do.  

Few bits and pieces from what I picked up from the interviews on DeeTV before and after the Dumbarton match.

Paul McGowan has obviously been given the all clear (Which Hartley was speaking about pre-Dumbarton) so will be in the squad for tonight. Hartley is asked, 'What's the situation with Harkins?' - Hartley starts smiling and says, 'There's nothing we want to comment on just now.' The interviewer then asks, 'Has he left the club?' to which Hartley just says, 'No, no, he's still here'. Not exactly telling us anything new, but I found it strange nonetheless.

Hartley then gives a rundown on the status of all our players that are out injured, basically, things are starting to look good other than the obvious exception which is McPake. Hartley completely forgets about Nicky Low until prompted by the interviewer to which he confirms, 'He's behind schedule'.

Hartley says he'd prefer if we could use 5 or 6 subs in these League Cup group section games so that the players can get the required minutes. He also says that there shouldn't be a transfer window, as 'Teams sometimes need players later on, 'especially in Scotland'.

Post-match - Hartley says he feels we are '1 or 2' players short at the back. I reckon he's wanting another RB in to ease the pressure on Cammy as well.

Moving onto Greg Stewart's post-match interview he states, 'I felt the first half wasn't good enough from myself, felt a wee bit rusty'. 'The boys had a few words at HT as we knew it wasn't good enough'.

Speaking about his free-kick that opened the scoring, 'It was a bit of an in-between (Cross or shot). When I'm in that position I always aim for the back post, so that if all the boys miss it, there's always a chance.' He follows this up by saying, 'Let's be honest though, the keeper should have held it, punched it, but I'll take it.'

Stewart has a slight go at the fans, 'The fans were getting on top of us a wee bit, but I can see why they did, but I would say, just give us time, there's a few new faces, it's still pre-season, we'll get it right and hopefully have another successful season.'

Stewart is asked on what he thinks on the format of the cup, he seems most against the penalty shoot-out point as he says, 'That's a wee bit weird that one.' He seems to be in favour overall though.

That pretty much sums the interviews up. Think the content on DeeTV is excellent these days, much better than it was when it was DFCTV. I'd urge anyone needing that Dundee fix to sign-up, especially if you can't afford a season ticket as you get full replays of pretty much all the matches.