All things Dundee FC

Kerr, Arturo (Loan), Gadzhalov, McGinn and Konrad are the players left that we have out of contract in the summer.

I'd keep them all other than Arturo personally. I'd imagine one or both of Gadzhalov/Konrad will be released though.

Gadzholov has been pretty decent recently . Can only see one of the two between him and Konrad signng though

Delighted about McGowan and hopeful about the two ICT boys. O'Dea on a three year deal is a bit risky though , hopefully he continues to improve over the season and summer

Lot of people saying, 'I can see O'Dea getting the captains armband'. GGH is the club captain and will continue to be so. The actual captain of the team, however, will continue to be James McPake when he's back from injury as he was our vice captain already whilst Thomson was here.

Far from convinced he will get much game time - O'Dea and Julen are much better. Haven't looked at our goals conceded stats with and without McPake this season but would expect us to have been much better without him - it certainly appears that way to me

Far from convinced he will get much game time - O'Dea and Julen are much better. Haven't looked at our goals conceded stats with and without McPake this season but would expect us to have been much better without him - it certainly appears that way to me

Don't get the hype for Julen and him and O'Dea would be the slowest partnership in the league.

And especially don't get the hype for O'Dea. He's good at guiding the defence through the game, but individually he's been poor. Cost us a good few times in his short stint here and I'd argue he was partially to blame in both the goals/incident leading up to the pen on Sunday too.

Are folk happy with the lengths of contracts handed out to Williams and Vincent?

I understand the length was seemingly a swinging point in the negotiations, but ones 28 and unlikely to improve beyond an average wide man and the other has regular injury problems. 

Can't decide until a kindly St Johnstone fan updates us on precise salary figures, bonus etc.

I've no idea about that, and not trying to troll. Just seems an excessive amount for two players, who realistically, should only really be supplementing a side who have better options. You could end up similar to us and having a decent player on a decent wage (Sutton) who isn't any use but is contracted for a season longer than you'd like. 

I'd be surprised if you didnt sign superior players within the next three seasons.

Anybody we sign - I'd be disappointed if we didn't sign superior in the three years following. I'm not a fan of signing inferior players to those we have going forward tbh.

Fair point tbh

Are folk happy with the lengths of contracts handed out to Williams and Vincent?

I understand the length was seemingly a swinging point in the negotiations, but ones 28 and unlikely to improve beyond an average wide man and the other has regular injury problems. 

It just really depends on what sort of clauses are in there tbh. I'd guess that they are two years with some sort of option based on previous business that we've done. We've seen some hilarious stories about ridiculous contracts that is certainly moronic pub drivel but it gets posted here a lot more readily without hesitation (because it's Dundee and our history makes it understandable).

For what it's worth, I reckon Williams will be a very good player for us and looks the sort of player that would be appreciated for every decent side in this league bar Celtic and Aberdeen. Vincent looks a very good player too and there is something there that we could use but obviously injuries are the issue.

Our squad isn't big (when you take into account that a lot of the players I posted on the last page are still on basic 20s terms) and I can only really imagine one or two more in (optimistically) and then it'll just be one in one out. We've got contracts staggered and expiring at different times which is helpful and in worst case scenario, there are ways to move players on and free up a bit of money after mistakes are made (which always happens for a couple of players).

We've spent the last couple of seasons signing unproven players at this level with relatively few established pros at this level and I get the feeling our money wasn't going as far with coming up as we needed to take the risk on guys like Thomson simply because we badly needed their experience. I'd actually be pretty confident to say that our budget is a good bit lower now than it is a year ago considering last season was also spent paying off the previous seasons squad as they were mostly awarded new contracts for promotion so we had to find ways to get rid of them.

Now that we've got a spine of a team together and got players who we agree for the most part can all do a job at this level, I think we're in more of a position to make these types of deals and it shouldn't really be surprising that we have more spending power and the maneuverability to make better deals than half the league considering we average those sorts of crowds and are steady in league position.

Edited by harry94

It just really depends on what sort of clauses are in there tbh. I'd guess that they are two years with some sort of option based on previous business that we've done. We've seen some hilarious stories about ridiculous contracts that is certainly moronic pub drivel but it gets posted here a lot more readily without hesitation (because it's Dundee and our history makes it understandable).

For what it's worth, I reckon Williams will be a very good player for us and looks the sort of player that would be appreciated for every decent side in this league bar Celtic and Aberdeen. Vincent looks a very good player too and there is something there that we could use but obviously injuries are the issue.

Our squad isn't big (when you take into account that a lot of the players I posted on the last page are still on basic 20s terms) and I can only really imagine one or two more in (optimistically) and then it'll just be one in one out. We've got contracts staggered and expiring at different times which is helpful and in worst case scenario, there are ways to move players on and free up a bit of money after mistakes are made (which always happens for a couple of players).

We've spent the last couple of seasons signing unproven players at this level with relatively few established pros at this level and I get the feeling our money wasn't going as far with coming up as we needed to take the risk on guys like Thomson simply because we badly needed their experience. I'd actually be pretty confident to say that our budget is a good bit lower now than it is a year ago considering last season was also spent paying off the previous seasons squad as they were mostly awarded new contracts for promotion so we had to find ways to get rid of them.

Now that we've got a spine of a team together and got players who we agree for the most part can all do a job at this level, I think we're in more of a position to make these types of deals and it shouldn't really be surprising that we have more spending power and the maneuverability to make better deals than half the league considering we average those sorts of crowds and are steady in league position.

This exactly. Because our recent history people just presume were offering stupid money for players. I know first hand were not! Harkins and hemmings are our biggest earners and are on no more than 1500 a week. Williams and Vincent wont be on any more than that either when they sign.

I think Williams and Vincent are good signings, proven at this level so there not gamble signings and will step in no worries and most of our squad will know what were getting with them too.

A winger, left back, defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder then I feel thats enough for next season especially if we can get Kerr, mcginn and Konrad signed up.

I feel gadz will be binned along with meggat. That would leave us with a smallish but strong and competitive squad for next season

If I'm honest I've got a concern.

We're not kicking the arse off a relegation playoff battle this season and with dross like Utd really setting the bar at a new low and Killie/Hamilton potentially disappearing to potentially be replaced by Sevco and (barring a hibsing) Hibs the league will be even stronger next season IMO.

Like Derry boy above I know for a fact we pay reasonable wages (although I can't verify his top earners comment) and nothing like Aberdeen, hearts and Utd. All the same the loss of revenue from mid table premiership to the championship is huge and those reasonable premiership wages become expensive championship players overnight, if you have them on 3 year deals your stuck with them or need to pay them off.

That is the uber pessimist in me to be fair.

On the flip side I'm happy we are becoming a bit of a pathway from clubs like Inverness - it's worked out not to bad for Aberdeen and whilst we are taking squad type players at the moment it won't be long until the next Shinnie/Hayes/tansey/Watkin/meekings sees us as a viable career move (providing Caley get this calibre of player going forward)

St Johnstone down should really be looking at the league table and saying that but for the omnishambles at Tannadice the league would be tighter than a ducks arse from 4th - 12th.

Edited by Deefiant

Hey guys. Out of interest are your season tickets for a specific seat or do you sit where you want in the stand of your choice? Would you prefer to have a particular seat allocated to you or happy with the freedom?

Hey guys. Out of interest are your season tickets for a specific seat or do you sit where you want in the stand of your choice? Would you prefer to have a particular seat allocated to you or happy with the freedom?

Allocated seats. It's one of the main reasons I buy a season ticket tbh. Tends to be a bit more of a free for all in the Derry but again, it's allocated seating.

Once again one of the Amish is ITK regarding the minutiae of our contract negotiations. Just how do you know that? Yogi said it was all down to the ridiculous money we were offering after all?

FWIW if the contracts turn out to be straight 3 year deals, ie no options, relegation release clauses etc I have to say that is madness for a club like ours to be going down that route.

You can no doubt inform us what the break clauses are?