All things Dundee FC

Williams and Vincent sign on PCA.

I'd be a bit more relaxed about that if I had more confidence in Yogi in the transfer market. I wouldn't say that Vincent and Williams are among our best players but they are solid Premiership quality. Vincent is tidy and reliable in the midfield, he doesn't do anything spectacularly but is someone who you can rely upon to do a job when required to. Williams can play a number of positions, full back and wide midfield being the two he's generally filled. He's another tactically disciplined player who has a bit of pace and good work-rate.

On the negative Vincent has been injured for a long time and Williams, while giving you his all, isn't great at getting shots off or beating his man. He often finds himself in good positions due to his pace and tactical adeptness but doesn't really push it home when he gets the chance.

I wouldn't rate either as highly as Nick Ross.

2 of the 3 I don't really rate signed on 2 and 3 year extensions today leaves me sad.  McGinn extension coming soon I'd bet also to hit the trifecta.

I do see what others see in McGowan to be fair, but for me he is too slow at the linking of play for a team who really excels on counter football and have a fast flowing attacking unit.

Looks like we won't be getting the hatchet type player I so desire us to find to help protect the back 4 aswell, as that's us at 5 (remarkably similar) pro CMs next season already.

Excellent stuff.

Can someone put up a list of who is out on contract this summer? I know there is one but im sure its quite a bit back.

Thank you

I'll copy it over when I get on my laptop - but there's an up to date list (Minus O'Dea and McGowan) on the Squad List thread if you wanna know instantly.

2 of the 3 I don't really rate signed on 2 and 3 year extensions today leaves me sad. McGinn extension coming soon I'd bet also to hit the trifecta.

I do see what others see in McGowan to be fair, but for me he is too slow at the linking of play for a team who really excels on counter football and have a fast flowing attacking unit.

Looks like we won't be getting the hatchet type player I so desire us to find to help protect the back 4 aswell, as that's us at 5 (remarkably similar) pro CMs next season already.

I genuinely can't see how anyone can not rate Gowser.

The absolute best player in our team at consistently receiving the ball under pressure but retaining possession either through a pass or his trademark run in a circle.

I'd agree he's disappointing if you judge him as the AMC he was brought in as but he's not playing that role anymore and has carved an excellent niche as the metronome/workhorse in our midfield.

A far superior Jim Mcallister if you will.

With news that O'Dea has signed on it makes it look less likely that Gadzhalov will be here next season. Shame as he was just beginning to turn me around.

Konrad was in the paper a month or so ago saying talks had began on a new deal so I'd imagine he'd be the one to drop out.

The absolute best player in our team at consistently receiving the ball under pressure but retaining possession either through a pass or his trademark run in a circle.

I'd agree he's disappointing if you judge him as the AMC he was brought in as but he's not playing that role anymore and has carved an excellent niche as the metronome/workhorse in our midfield.

This completely. Absolutely brilliant player, one of the best, hardworking midfielders we've had for a long time.

Lot of people saying, 'I can see O'Dea getting the captains armband'. GGH is the club captain and will continue to be so. The actual captain of the team, however, will continue to be James McPake when he's back from injury as he was our vice captain already whilst Thomson was here.

Really hope we do get one and think there is a decent chance of it. Low hasn't been deployed in the middle apart from when we've used that 3 against Celtic and Harkins has been used in his more natural advanced role recently.

Vincent is the question mark for me because we just don't know what Hartley has in mind for him. I reckon Hartley has something very specific in mind though because he's been an early target.

If we signed two DMs and kept our midfield, we could field teams of (not concentrating much on what would be our best 11):

Bain

McGinn O'Dea McPake Holt

[DM] Ross

Stewart Harkins Williams

Hemmings

Mitchell

Kerr Julen Gadzh/Konrad Meggatt

[DM] McGowan

Vincent Wighton Low

Loy

We had a squad similarly sized to that last season so I wouldn't be surprised to see that sort of size again although I have a feeling Gadzhalov and Konrad will be binned in favour of a centre back. We'll probably get our usual number of injuries and maybe see a departure or two in addition to that.

Making a pass is an attribute I'd expect of a 6 year old boy. My issue as stated is how laboured he is in progressing the play forward. The pirouette does my substantial titties in also.

I think the problem is he spent so much of his time as a more advanced player and because of this enjoys more time on the ball than he needs, compared to Sicknote Thomson who's best attribute was the 2 touch CM role, which allowed the transition from defence to attack to be smoother and more to my liking. As I said, I see why people like him, he runs about and nibbles at players and rarely loses posession, but it comes across like a jack of all, master of none.

Wasn't a huge fan of McAlister either, funnily enough. 🙈

Making a pass is an attribute I'd expect of a 6 year old boy. My issue as stated is how laboured he is in progressing the play forward. The pirouette does my substantial titties in also.

I think the problem is he spent so much of his time as a more advanced player and because of this enjoys more time on the ball than he needs, compared to Sicknote Thomson who's best attribute was the 2 touch CM role, which allowed the transition from defence to attack to be smoother and more to my liking. As I said, I see why people like him, he runs about and nibbles at players and rarely loses posession, but it comes across like a jack of all, master of none.

Wasn't a huge fan of McAlister either, funnily enough. 🙈

I'd rather have a fully fit and up for it Thomson sort in our starting XI but even then I'd have Gowser in there with him providing energy and pressure all over the midfield.

I think his assist/interplay for Greg Stewart's goal in the last 2-2 Derby sums him up perfectly.

Great energy, pressures Dixon, great wee interplay with Greg in the tightest of areas.

Then there's his work rate and passion - he's a cult hero for these attributes in their own right and whilst I value ability well above these attributes it's something I'm comfortable saying a lot of Dundee teams I've watched over the years have lacked. Confident, arrogant and a desire to win.

Love the guy.

Saw Jazzer getting a mention - I was speaking to him in the changing room pre match and he seemed fairly positive about his knee and the rehab.

I also saw GGH bollock naked so a good day all round :lol:

Thats twice you've mentioned that. I'm thinking thats an image thats stuck with you for life. I'm jealous

Excellent stuff.

Can someone put up a list of who is out on contract this summer? I know there is one but im sure its quite a bit back.

Thank you

I'll copy it over when I get on my laptop - but there's an up to date list (Minus O'Dea and McGowan) on the Squad List thread if you wanna know instantly.

Nicked yours earlier and altered it to the best of my knowledge for this coming season.

Current Squad (with ages at time of August 2016)

Goalkeepers

#1: Scott Bain (24) - May 2018.

#12: David Mitchell (26) - May 2017

#46: Kyle Gourlay (17) - ?

Defenders

#3: Kevin Holt (23) - May 2018

#4: Thomas Konrad (26) - May 2016

#5: James McPake (32) - May 2017

#6: Daryll Meggatt (25) - May 2017

#16: Julen Etxabeguren Leanizbarrutia (25) - May 2018

#19: Paul McGinn (25) - May 2016

#21: Darren O'Dea (26) - May 2019