All things Dundee FC

10 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

'Build his own squad' the standard of this league is absolute crap, is it too much to ask that he coaches this lot to be defensively secure, and to shitfest single goal wins? I don't think so.

I’ve not got the pitchfork out for Bowyer yet but it’s frustrating to watch this week to week and I’d agree with Biggie here. I don’t think we’re a million miles away and do play some good stuff but whilst opposition have proper defenders we have a rabble who will concede goals from very few attacks and he needs to get that sorted asap. Personally I do put a lot of this mess on McPake, giving long contracts to his mates. I don’t know what wages they get but I’m sure no one will pay Byrne or McGinn whatever we are. If Bowyer has a strict budget and can’t convince players to leave what can you do.

I was stood at 2 1 hearing screams of 'Bowyer out' whilst the likely lads who've let us down for years failed to undo a dreadful Queens Park side at a neutral venue.

Kerr was atrocious last night, absolutely atrocious. Ashcroft passed it and hoofed it to the opposition time and time again, Marshall done little, McGhee done little, Grayson has been decent IMO but was shocking last night. Sweeney was clumsy as f**k and unfortunately Rudden is looking average at best. Cameron is completely lightweight as a winger aswell - much like Mulligan I think he's a central player and McCowan done more in ten minutes than Cameron done all match.

We have so many duds who just aren't up to it. These are the boys in the papers saying they know how important the games are and that is their best level. I can't blame that all on Bowyer, they just simply aren't good enough.

We actually weren't horrific last night, created a good few chances but we'll never win games with our goals against numbers.

January can be a saviour; as it is considering how we've played we should all be grateful for the league standings. 

Thank you.

Why do we always, from Kick Off punt the ball to the bottom right corner of the pitch? It has never given us an advantage. It either goes out for a throw to the opposition or the opposition head it back. This isn't just a Bowyer thing, we have been doing it for years now and it just boils my piss.

The highlights are up on the Queens YouTube page. Look at Kerr following his man for the second goal.

Fucking embarrassment. That's with ten years experience. If we ever want to improve pish like him needs replaced. If that was Marshall you'd all be up in arms.

Couldn't give a f**k if he's Dundee through and through.

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

When you employ a manager whose entire career screams mediocrity, why is anyone surprised when the result is mediocre?
Another season written off, another year closer to death.

You say that but who is going to win this league?

Ayr were no better than us the other week, Morten were embarrassing at Dens and it was only because of more defensively shambolic moments we conceded last night against another team above us. 

This league is full of shite and throwing the towel in now is a bit tragic. Until we get to January we're going to be plagued with this defence but if we can sort it we can win this league.  Results elsewhere are aiding that case at the minute aswell. 

Anyway, that's enough from me this morning i'm off to get pished. The benefits of Friday night football you can get the disappointment out the way and move on. 

Thank you. 

I don’t think anyone would disagree that the only reason McPake got us promoted was he had the great fortune of Charlie Adam coming to the end of his career and wanting to play for his hometown club.  Without Adam that team was not getting promoted.

Without doubt the team that got relegated needed strengthening.  Bowyer has brought in:

Williamson - nowhere near good enough.  Technically gifted but not up for it.  Better than McGinn? - NO

Grayson - truly dreadful.  A player who likes to admire his own passes but not up for it.  Better than Byrne? - NO - not even close

French - quick and athletic and also appears up for it.  Better than our existing centre halves / full backs? - YES - massive improvement 

Robinson - raw but looks like there something about him.  Also appears up for it?  Better than existing strikers?  - YES

Byrne and McGinn are going nowhere.  They can’t move on from us because they are still too busy still  laughing at the deals Nelms gave them - and I don’t blame them.

Unless there is something in their contracts about a certain number of games triggering a contract extension or their win / play bonus is as equally ridiculous as their basic pay then Bowyer should send Grayson and Williamson back to their parent club and utilise Byrne and McGinn.  That would hopefully free up money for at least one player in the January window.

I have to say Bowyer looks like a manager who is confused and out his depth already.  Yes he is a good talker but he is just not translating that into performances (that reminds me I’ve not heard much from Neil McCann lately).   I don’t think Bowyer has a clear strategy to improve things.  In fact the longer he is here the less I understand his thinking.

Over a third of the way through the season and in the bottom half of the league is nowhere near good enough.  If there was a team in this league that was even half decent the title would have just about been sewn up already.

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Decent pedigree?

Seriously?

His win %s as a permanent manager are:

Blackburn - 34.7%
Blackpool - 36.5%
Bradford - 29.2%
Salford - 40.4%

And those are all matches not just league games.

At Salford he had cash to splash and they didn't even reach the playoffs.

I genuinely don't see anything inspirational in the appointment so far. Apart from being able to roll over seaside league teams in the League Cup, decent performances in the league have been too few and far between.

Fans could accept if he was losing but making progress but I'm struggling to see where - the chopping and changing of the team, the playing of players like Sweeney, Rudden and Sheridan, and Christ knows what he sees in Grayson, tells me he has either underestimated the game in Scotland or really isn't that good a manager.

He got Blackpool promoted when they were an absolute basket case and is well loved by their fans.

Same with Blackburn, well respected at them as he took over when  they looked like they were destined for oblivion and steadied them.

Salford fans were disappointed he was sacked as well looking at their forum but they seem to have a sacking culture these days.

Only club that genuinely didn't like him as manager was Blackburn.

So yes, a very decent pedigree especially in comparison to the likes of Thomson and Adam.

The very last position we needed strengthened in the summer was the midfield, yet he brings in 2 that imo are worse players then Gowser, Anderson, Byrne and Mulligan. An absolute waste of our budget. We were screaming out for a keeper (whilst binning Legzdins and Lawlor), a left back whether the defensively abject Marshall remained or not, a centrehalf and 2 strikers. 

A decent manager still has us winning this league despite being hamstrung by McPake’s signings. 

Bowyer has massively underestimated our league and is taking us for idiots if he’s describing Grayson’s left foot as a wand.

A formation of 4-2-3-1 with the following players wins us the league  

Legzdins 

French, Ashcroft, McGhee, new left back,

Byrne, Gowser 

McMullan, Mulligan, McCowan,

Robinson  

Subs to be used very regularly Anderson, Jakubiak, Cameron, McGinn and Osei. With the rest of the bench being made up with Sweeney, Kerr and Sharp.

Open to Anderson starting instead of Gowser and Jakubiak for Robinson who I’m still not 100% convinced by. Holds the ball up well but not much else so far but he’s being isolated by such a negative manager with his defensive midfield. 

Edited to say and return Williamson and Grayson to their parent clubs. Use the freed up cash and the Ibrox cup money to strengthen the squad in January.

Bowyer’s only positive is the signing of Tyler French. He’s been very good and our player of the year so far. 

Edited by Yenitit

Take from @DeeTillEhDeh Bowyer’s win %s as a permanent manager are:

Blackburn - 34.7%
Blackpool - 36.5%
Bradford - 29.2%
Salford - 40.4%

So far this season in the league and both cups, by my rough calculations, his win percentage is 55%.  In other words he’s never experienced such a successful period as a manager - at least as far as raw stats are concerned.

Ignoring the cups where we played a few teams even lower in the league system than us his win percentage is 38.46%.  Higher than Blackburn, Blackpool and Bradford.

Maybe he really is just a bang average manager and what we have seen already is roughly where he gets his team to with every club he manages.  That’s a frightening thought!

You say that but who is going to win this league?
Ayr were no better than us the other week, Morten were embarrassing at Dens and it was only because of more defensively shambolic moments we conceded last night against another team above us. 
This league is full of shite and throwing the towel in now is a bit tragic. Until we get to January we're going to be plagued with this defence but if we can sort it we can win this league.  Results elsewhere are aiding that case at the minute aswell. 
Anyway, that's enough from me this morning i'm off to get pished. The benefits of Friday night football you can get the disappointment out the way and move on. 
Thank you. 

For me the most embarrassing team on the park v Morten were us.
I’ve zero faith January will be our saviour.
Most teams we play are first and foremost better organised than us. We prefer tombola selections.
Anybody who starts Rudden is clearly clueless. He’s absolutely honking.
Bowyer out.

I completely understand the decision to sign Williamson. A cheap (if not freebie) signing to replace Byrne's supposed huge wage so we could bolster elsewhere in the team. The fact he's been a huge disappointment is neither here nor there.

Bowyer is friends with Billy Kirkwood who likely told him that Williamson is one of the most promising youths at Rangers and we could take him on loan for a pittance and he has the ability to do the same job as Byrne. It's a no brainer. It's clearly not working out as intended but I get the logic behind it.

As for getting a new keeper, I think Sharp, Legzdins and Lawlor are all serviceable enough with Legzdins being the best of the 3. Too much hassle to be punting Legzdins and Lawlor and then sourcing another keeper when there's much, much bigger issues in the squad. Although, I did think we should have tried to offload Lawlor and just run with Legzdins and Sharp - thankfully we didn't in retrospect.

I also don't think Grayson is as bad as is being made out. He can be completely anonymous (as can Byrne at times btw) but I think he's suffering from being in a terrible pairing more than anything. 

4 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Wow. If those figures are correct those must’ve been miserable ones for those clubs. 

I’d like to know the loss percentage. Higher than 33% and you aren’t winning this league. 68 points wins this league. 

By my calculations* in the league it is 30.77%

*my son got an A in Higher Maths - I definitely didn’t 🤣

Take from [mention=22650]DeeTillEhDeh[/mention] Bowyer’s win %s as a permanent manager are:

Blackburn - 34.7%
Blackpool - 36.5%
Bradford - 29.2%
Salford - 40.4%
So far this season in the league and both cups, by my rough calculations, his win percentage is 55%.  In other words he’s never experienced such a successful period as a manager - at least as far as raw stats are concerned.
Ignoring the cups where we played a few teams even lower in the league system than us his win percentage is 38.46%.  Higher than Blackburn, Blackpool and Bradford.
Maybe he really is just a bang average manager and what we have seen already is roughly where he gets his team to with every club he manages.  That’s a frightening thought!

Those stats are a complete joke. They completely scream ‘I’m pish’.
This league is particularly shite this season, with a half decent manager we win this at a canter. It’s obvious, no discussion required.