All things Dundee FC

Who would you be expecting us to be linked with when the transfer window is closed?
Of course a lower league English manager's contacts are gonna be lower league English players. 
C'mon man fs.

Ok. I’ll stop giving my opinion.

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Because all the players we are signing are coming from, or have been released from, total no mark clubs.

I’m not as loyal as you Ludo but ffs the alarm bells are ringing and the lights are all flashing.

We finished third in the premiership and won the Scottish cup by signing players who came from or were released from utter no mark clubs from England so while there is no guarantee he will be any good I think you might be overreacting a little.

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Who would you be expecting us to be linked with when the transfer window is closed?

Of course a lower league English manager's contacts are gonna be lower league English players. 

C'mon man fs.

Aye, but surely you see that signing lower league English players doesn't have to mean signing players who've completely flopped in English League Two? Identifying gems who can perform in the Championship from that level is tricky and sometimes throws up surprises, but it's not unreasonable to expect someone who might actually have shown signs of promise at a level higher than the (largely amateur) French fourth tier at some point in their career.

17 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Aye, but surely you see that signing lower league English players doesn't have to mean signing players who've completely flopped in English League Two? Identifying gems who can perform in the Championship from that level is tricky and sometimes throws up surprises, but it's not unreasonable to expect someone who might actually have shown signs of promise at a level higher than the (largely amateur) French fourth tier at some point in their career.

After the transfer window has closed - should we be expecting players that have had a massive success in English League Two?

There's also been many success stories from players that have 'flopped' at such a level such as Joel Nouble (not that I'm comparing, just stating that a player shouldn't be written off). Tyler French has been an astute signing and was no longer required at that level, Robinson is a very good signing and is just a youth prospect. Grayson looks like he could go either way at this point. In fact, the only signing that looks like it'll go down as a definite dud at this rate is the one Scottish signing Bowyer has made.

1 minute ago, Walter said:

Only for those like me who can't count. Make that one first team goal in six years. 

I wasn't being so pedantic about that (although I did note it) - it was more including the seasons from his pre-first team period but not the goals. 

Why is it that this latest signing has been written off before he's even kicked a ball yet? FFS I don't mind boys coming to vent their frustrations at a match if someone or the team is shite but come on to f**k.

I'm the first to point out a poor decision by Bowyer tactically or in terms of a starting eleven but we wanted a manager who would sign outwith the normal Scottish duds from other clubs and that is what we're getting. Plenty of players have had mediocre careers and find that one team that kickstarts everything.

Not had my morning coffee...excuse my rage.

I'm not convinced, could be an alright signing but it just looks like a pure punt that ties up future budget and wastes management time. It could be cover for McCowan as Bowyer's spotted that McGinn clearly can't be arsed and shoehorning in players out of position isn't working too well either. I'd rather have waited till Jan and spent the money on a better prospect than this one, I'm not the one that's seen him in training though

9 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I think it's clear we are working at the max end of our playing budget, I am not surprised that we waited until Chapman was off the books before we signed Osei.

Yep and we will need to offload more in Jan if we are to expect players in the door. The chat prior to close of the window was three out which now is obvious that Bowyer is clearly keen to get Mcginn and Byrne out with Chapman being the 3rd.

5 hours ago, Juantwothree said:

While I'm not convinced with Bowyer, he really needs to revamp that squad. There's to many off them that aren't good enough or don't have the minerals for a championship season 

Not much Bowyer can do after the deals the dafty McPake dished out. 

3 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

Why is it that this latest signing has been written off before he's even kicked a ball yet? FFS I don't mind boys coming to vent their frustrations at a match if someone or the team is shite but come on to f**k.

I'm the first to point out a poor decision by Bowyer tactically or in terms of a starting eleven but we wanted a manager who would sign outwith the normal Scottish duds from other clubs and that is what we're getting. Plenty of players have had mediocre careers and find that one team that kickstarts everything.

Not had my morning coffee...excuse my rage.

I was one of those posters that questioned this.  To answer your question I think it’s a culmination of a number of factors but most of all it is frustration that we never brought in the numbers we needed while the transfer window was open.  To be fair to Bowyer though I reckon a lot of that is down to the fact that the players we need to move on will get nowhere near what they are earning here at Dens.

I obviously hope the new signing does do well but his stats are not encouraging.  Given the fact that he has only been signed to the end of the season that would perhaps suggest Bowyer isn’t convinced either.

48 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I was one of those posters that questioned this.  To answer your question I think it’s a culmination of a number of factors but most of all it is frustration that we never brought in the numbers we needed while the transfer window was open.  To be fair to Bowyer though I reckon a lot of that is down to the fact that the players we need to move on will get nowhere near what they are earning here at Dens.

I obviously hope the new signing does do well but his stats are not encouraging.  Given the fact that he has only been signed to the end of the season that would perhaps suggest Bowyer isn’t convinced either.

I share much of your concern mate, I really do. I'm just loathed to judge a player before he kicks a ball for us is all. 

In fairness I think that a short-term contract for someone who was a trialist benefits everyone. He has to prove he is worth of a longer term contract and from our point of view it isn't a massive risk. Flip side of that is we hand out big contracts on players like Mcginn and Sheridan who haven't showed value for money.