All things Dundee FC

Considering all the slagging he got in the first half, I thought Anderson really came into the game in the second 45. Was positive and challenged every ball, makes the challenge and interception that led to the 2nd goal and of course scored the 3rd.
He was like a different player in the second half.

It looked to me like was told to push up and let McGowan drop back.

12 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Louth is posh in that neck of the woods. I had a wifey that stayed in Broughton and the accents that neck of the woods are horrendous.

I only visited a printing factory there so didn't see much, or probably the best, of the place.

30 minutes ago, Peadar BigDinnerO'Driscoll said:

One of their comms said TNS and Dundee have roughly the same playing budget. Interesting if true, not sure how they afford to be a full time club with such low crowds.

A very wealthy owner (a horrible, homophobic Tory Brexiteer) who has bankrolled the club since the 90s, having made a fortune in IT.

10 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I honestly think it hadn't really occurred to them that TNS's dominance is more to do with the utterly hopeless level of day-to-day competition they face rather than them actually being a decent outfit. They have been on the receiving end of some total scuddings in UEFA competition so you'd think they'd be well aware, but on the other hand they've also secured some pretty impressive results, 

TNS are the only f/t team in a part time league so are always going to dominate. Connah’s Quay went full time for a season or so under Andy Morrison but Covid + tiny crowds scuttled that. Nomads knocked TNS off their perch for a while.

The top end teams are mid table Scottish league one and most below the top 4-5 are L2 standard. It’s all about building credibility for the Cymru Premier so last night will have been a sore one for “TNS”.

23 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

A very wealthy owner (a horrible, homophobic Tory Brexiteer) who has bankrolled the club since the 90s, having made a fortune in IT.

He sure is a w****r. Says he wants to build a 10,000 seater stadium in Oswestry! The guy is a deluded little maggot. 

TNS are like some sort of weird North Korean experiment. 

14 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He was like a different player in the second half.

It looked to me like was told to push up and let McGowan drop back.

Dropping McGowan back gives him more options to pick a pass from and this is his strength. Likes of Anderson and Mulligan are then able to push up through the middle without leaving a ginormous hole behind them. Think worth testing having Gowser, Mulligan and Cameron as the starting middle 3. Maybe a bit lightweight but much more creative about them than Grayson and McGhee. As for Williamson, he just disappeared for big sections again last night.

Dropping McGowan back gives him more options to pick a pass from and this is his strength. Likes of Anderson and Mulligan are then able to push up through the middle without leaving a ginormous hole behind them. Think worth testing having Gowser, Mulligan and Cameron as the starting middle 3. Maybe a bit lightweight but much more creative about them than Grayson and McGhee. As for Williamson, he just disappeared for big sections again last night.

Williamson just looks like a very sub-par hammer thrower; would be getting him punted back to Greyskull pronto.

Yup, can't see what the point of Williamson is beyond being a heidless chicken. I'd still far rather play Grayson before him because at least we know from the Arbroath game Grayson is actually capable of playing a role that contributes something to the team, even if we've not seen the same thing since. 

With the squad we have available Gowser absolutely has to play in the furthest back rank of the midfield and not the central advanced role. That 'in between' role is what Mulligan and Anderson are for. Anderson just isn't a central midfielder. He is neither creative nor destructive enough to offer anything there. He's a huff and puff player whose real asset is being able to run at the backline from midfield, but he doesn't have the rest of the game that is necessary to play in the 'pivot' and still be effective. 

If we're playing 4-2-3-1/4-5-1 right now then it has to be Gowser and Grayson as the '2' with Mulligan central and further forward. Stop this playing him wide right just because McCowan is injured and Bowyer is in the cream puff with McGinn for whatever reason. McMullan is our right winger. Mulligan is wasted playing out there, and McMullan isn't as effective down the left either. Play McMullan in his natural position and give the left-sided role to Cameron.

Oh, and if it's not Gowser/Grayson, then maybe its time Finn Robertson was given another opportunity after being hung out to dry trying to play in a flat four alongside Dorrans.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Not convinced on either of Grayson or Williamson. The former played ok against Arbroath but really hasn’t shone or maybe his left “foot wand” is needing a magic pill; the latter has good close control, and is big and strong, yet is invisible for too much of a game. 
I’d like the force of Byrne, and the creativity and ability of McGowan, Cameron/Milligan to see what that gives.  

I have no issue with the concept of a Byrne/Gowser pair either, but I think it's obvious from the story that broke and the fact that Byrne hasn't even made the bench since that there's no real prospect of that happening.

I'd love to know what the positions of the players Bowyer wanted in were, just to see if he recognises the same issues and deficiencies in the squad that we do. McPake would no doubt have signed a couple of pointless CM's no different to what we already had and perhaps a CB or two, but then I think Bowyer might also be guilty of a spot of that with Williamson, though I think it could be forgiven if he was just seen as an extra body in the event they did manage to move Byrne on. 

If we were to do anything in January I'd want another creative influence in CM and a solid LB in that order, because I think the strikers we already have are perfectly adequate and Bowyer needs to play the right combo of CB/GK and stick with it. Legs needs to play behind McGhee/Ashcroft for a bit, because while they are not world-beaters, I don't see that trio conceding the number of laugher goals that we have lately.

9 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I have no issue with the concept of a Byrne/Gowser pair either, but I think it's obvious from the story that broke and the fact that Byrne hasn't even made the bench since that there's no real prospect of that happening.

Byrne's actually been out injured since the Raith game instead of being frozen out, and according to Bowyer is supposed to available for next week, same with McCowan. I think after some of the issues displayed in the last few games, Bowyer will consider using what he has.

Jason Cummings makes his international debut for Australia coming on as a sub in Auckland after 63 minutes. Another 2 subs at same time for Australia, Cameron Devlin (Hearts) and Ryan Strain (St Mirren) who replaced Nat Atkinson (Hearts). Alex Grieve (St Mirren) on as a sub for NZ.

ETA: Cummings scored his first international goal from the penalty spot to make it 2-0 Australia after 80 mins.

Edited by Eednud

Looking ahead the next three games:

Hamilton (A)

Cove (A)

Arbroath (A)

Can accept that away games are always more difficult but those teams are fucking rotten - there's no point in dressing it up. Absolutely haven't cared less so far with the defeats and  couple of mistakes from Bowyer because i'm fully aware he's still learning at the start of his journey as manager here and is also contending with an horrendous amount of shite left from McPake. 

That being said if we get our best team on the pitch and play to a good level we should be winning all three of these games. Interesting week ahead before Ayr at home. Time for us to properly kick on before the always crucial period around xmas. A minimum of 7/9 i expect from these games as you can never plan for scandalous referees etc such as against Inverness. 

Get these diddies defeated, Bowyer. 

Thank you. 

Looking ahead the next three games:
Hamilton (A)
Cove (A)
Arbroath (A)
Can accept that away games are always more difficult but those teams are fucking rotten - there's no point in dressing it up. Absolutely haven't cared less so far with the defeats and  couple of mistakes from Bowyer because i'm fully aware he's still learning at the start of his journey as manager here and is also contending with an horrendous amount of shite left from McPake. 
That being said if we get our best team on the pitch and play to a good level we should be winning all three of these games. Interesting week ahead before Ayr at home. Time for us to properly kick on before the always crucial period around xmas. A minimum of 7/9 i expect from these games as you can never plan for scandalous referees etc such as against Inverness. 
Get these diddies defeated, Bowyer. 
Thank you. 

Sound words bro.