All things Dundee FC

18 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Anyone starting to have the fear about our manager? Crazy team selection and the double substitution killed us yesterday. 

Not happy with the lack of game time that Anderson is getting either. 

Me. Absolute nonsense line up yesterday, although thought we looked better when McGowan came on.

42 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Anyone starting to have the fear about our manager? Crazy team selection and the double substitution killed us yesterday. 

Not happy with the lack of game time that Anderson is getting either. 

From what I’ve seen so far he appears to be a ‘man manager’ type as opposed to being a tactical genius.  Because of that I think he probably wants to show loyalty to his captain.  This is all good and well when everything is ticking along nicely.  Unfortunately Sweeney and Ashcroft are both slow to turn and run.  They simply cannot be played together.  McGhee needs to be in there with one of them (assuming French stays as a full back).  So which one do you drop?  Unfortunately for Sweeney he has had a terrible season so far and needs dropped - for the good of the team and himself.

As for Marshall and Sharp.  The incident that leads to the penalty sums them both up.  Marshall appears oblivious to the ICT player behind him and stops, waiting for the keeper to come for the ball.  What happened to the Sunday League basic rule that as a defender you follow the ball to protect your keeper?  Marshall was 2 yards closer to the ball than the ICT player so could easily have got to the ball.  I was sitting in the section of the main stand nearest the Bobby Cox stand and did not hear Sharp shout either for the ball or for Marshall to clear it.  Indecision like that from a keeper leads to a shaky defence, no matter how good the defenders are.  Sharp then lunges at the ICT player.  Would the player have scored with such a tight angle?  I don’t think so.

Get Marshall, Sweeney and Sharp out the team as an absolute minimum.

On a separate note McGinn is not interested and is just topping up his pension.

9 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

From what I’ve seen so far he appears to be a ‘man manager’ type as opposed to being a tactical genius.  Because of that I think he probably wants to show loyalty to his captain.  This is all good and well when everything is ticking along nicely.  Unfortunately Sweeney and Ashcroft are both slow to turn and run.  They simply cannot be played together.  McGhee needs to be in there with one of them (assuming French stays as a full back).  So which one do you drop?  Unfortunately for Sweeney he has had a terrible season so far and needs dropped - for the good of the team and himself.

As for Marshall and Sharp.  The incident that leads to the penalty sums them both up.  Marshall appears oblivious to the ICT player behind him and stops, waiting for the keeper to come for the ball.  What happened to the Sunday League basic rule that as a defender you follow the ball to protect your keeper?  Marshall was 2 yards closer to the ball than the ICT player so could easily have got to the ball.  I was sitting in the section of the main stand nearest the Bobby Cox stand and did not hear Sharp shout either for the ball or for Marshall to clear it.  Indecision like that from a keeper leads to a shaky defence, no matter how good the defenders are.  Sharp then lunges at the ICT player.  Would the player have scored with such a tight angle?  I don’t think so.

Get Marshall, Sweeney and Sharp out the team as an absolute minimum.

On a separate note McGinn is not interested and is just topping up his pension.

Very good post imo. 

The penalty about sums up Marshall tbh. Not a defender. 

I’m not for chasing the manager out the door but yesterday and the Ayr games have me worried. Bizarre selection and substitutions. I’d be peed off if I was Anderson or Cameron.  

Don't agree on the large percentage thinking McGinn is a waste of a wage. 

He's not lazy, his legs are simply gone from what they used to be. He's not the players who bombed up and down the line for Aberdeen so if that's what you're expecting it's miles off. 

What he can still give us is a bit of composure on the ball (which we've lacked so much this season at times) and the ability to find balls that nobody else in our team is capable of. There was one ball yesterday he slid to French through the gap in ICT defence and it was a piece of class. 

There's games he couldn't play because of the aforementioned loss of pace (if we needed to track a winger) but in games when we're at home or expected to have alot of the ball i'd have him on the pitch. He would've done alot better for us than Mulligan yesterday who isn't a winger. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Don't agree on the large percentage thinking McGinn is a waste of a wage. 

He's not lazy, his legs are simply gone from what they used to be. He's not the players who bombed up and down the line for Aberdeen so if that's what you're expecting it's miles off. 

What he can still give us is a bit of composure on the ball (which we've lacked so much this season at times) and the ability to find balls that nobody else in our team is capable of. There was one ball yesterday he slid to French through the gap in ICT defence and it was a piece of class. 

There's games he couldn't play because of the aforementioned loss of pace (if we needed to track a winger) but in games when we're at home or expected to have alot of the ball i'd have him on the pitch. He would've done alot better for us than Mulligan yesterday who isn't a winger. 

Thank you.

I agree, still a regular for Northern Ireland and was captain this time last year. Don't expect him to do much defending but his final ball is the best we currently have at the club.

33 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I agree, still a regular for Northern Ireland and was captain this time last year. Don't expect him to do much defending but his final ball is the best we currently have at the club.

We all see games differently but I’m just not seeing international captain performances when he’s playing for us, although I do accept he has a decent delivery.  

Was McGinn not one of the players Bowyer was hoping to move on?  If so, do you think it is maybe more to do with the wages he’s bound to be on?

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

We all see games differently but I’m just not seeing international captain performances when he’s playing for us, although I do accept he has a decent delivery.  

Was McGinn not one of the players Bowyer was hoping to move on?  If so, do you think it is maybe more to do with the wages he’s bound to be on?

Not sure he was. It looked during the cup games that McGinn had won his place in the starting 11. Looked alot fitter than he did last season. Maybe it was because we were playing against lesser opposition that we dominated his ball distrubution and perfomarmances looked better. 

He started the Partick opening game and was dragged off at 3 0 and has never started again. 

Don't think the plan was to let him go. If we go out and beat Partick i assume he starts the next game. 

Personally the next three fixtures i'd be playing him against teams likely to sit back. 

Thank you. 

Just now, Fifespud said:

Out of the 3 right sided wide players we have, from what I’ve seen, young Cameron definitely deserves game time. Very direct, more likely to score than nae neck and pretty scary for Championship defences.

TBF to McMullan he is a very positive player and I am yet to see a player beat him for pace, just a pity his final product isn't quite there.

16 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

TBF to McMullan he is a very positive player and I am yet to see a player beat him for pace, just a pity his final product isn't quite there.

It was yesterday to be fair to him. Pretty sure it was Grayson's goal though, wonder if BBC/SPFL updates the scorer of the second goal.

I am very partial to McMullan on the right wing and McCowan on the left, personally.

6 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Me. Absolute nonsense line up yesterday, although thought we looked better when McGowan came on.

Gonna be a long ol season if we go out like this every game. Really no need for it. Could have started Rudden and Cameron instead of Williamson and McGhee.

I really like McMullen too. Cameron could just have a free role behind the striker.

Wonder what Byrne is actually doing, not that I’m calling for his return. Do you reckon we HAVE to play Williamson?

On 17/09/2022 at 19:41, Fifespud said:

Think that’s looking for a scapegoat. Yeah there were decisions that went against us, but there were some shitey decisions in the dugout too.

Yesterday’s ref and Derry side assistant were something special though. 100% the manager fucked up like the Ayr game but that’s largely on the ref yesterday. Some of the fouls he missed were unreal. Too many terrible decisions to type out!

21 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Gonna just say it, but expect pelters, Mulligan hasn't shown anything since possibly the Arbroath game. Been off the boil for weeks. Absolute least of our worries admittedly, but really needing him to take games by the scruff of their neck more than he is.

Excelled in the midfield 3 so we move him out wide!

21 minutes ago, Juantwothree said:

Derrick Osei

If so, just Wiki'd the 24-year-old young man who is apparently a French winger previously on the books of AFC Wimbledon last season, English League Two.

We are fast approaching the arrival of officially being labelled a joke club on so many levels, too many levels to list if I'm honest.

This is a dreadful period for our club, imho.

I'm still a relatively fit 57-year-old centre half/sweeper or emergency right back and will be contacting the club for a trial, at least my mind and attitude will not be in question.

Captained Clepington Primary to the top of the league after all.

Regards

t1j4kA.gif.071309ac8d150e1dbe8d5a7222e47606.gif