All things Dundee FC

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I really like Byrne but understand the decision.

I think he's difficult to put into a 2 man centre. I also think he's too classy to be a brute hatchet man type player you need in the Scottish leagues. I'd also say, I don't think he's good or classy enough to ever be a creative force.

Therefore, his uses are severely limited. In the right side and the right formation, he's our most important player but if that's not the way the manager wants to go then he becomes a very expensive back-up option.

I agree with this sentiment. I'd also point to the fact that he's never managed to convincingly compliment a midfielder paired along side him. 

The telling sign for me that the end was close was when Mark Mcghee was obviously not convinced by him. Mcghee, for all his faults, was a seasoned manager who saw something there and this was continued by another seasoned manager in Bowyer who thought the same.

Having said all that...we need to get a fee for him. The exit of a player with 2 years left on his contract should be negotiated properly which we haven't been great at doing in recent years.

37 minutes ago, DieDee said:

Can't see us getting a fee for a player we're wanting to move on. Just get him away and use some of the money freed up to get Mulligan to sign up on a proper deal 

We agreed a five figure deal with Livi for Byrne who had a year left on his contract...I'd be disappointed if we were letting go of midfield cover without getting something for him.

4 hours ago, Pens_Dark said:

The exit of a player with 2 years left on his contract should be negotiated properly

Totally agree we can't afford to be making losses on players, but advertising he's free to leave in the paper doesn't exactly help drive the price up.

Hendry aside, we have an appalling record of getting fees for players.

8 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Totally agree we can't afford to be making losses on players, but advertising he's free to leave in the paper doesn't exactly help drive the price up.

Hendry aside, we have an appalling record of getting fees for players.

Might be an attempt to gain interest from a bunch of clubs to fight for his signature...back to reality it's probably Dundee just doing Dundee things.

Most likely out on loan to free up some wages.

To be honest I’ve been much more positive with Byrne than negative. He’s been a great signing. His strength has been in: very good close control; very good at interrupting opponents’ play; making himself available; pretty good passer; hardly ever losing possession; and strength in the tackle. Yet, despite these strengths; he never scores goals; he rarely puts the killer pass in that rips a defence open and I think it’s in this part of his game that GB feels we need more positive action. 
Over the piece, however, I understand GB’s view, and I wish Sean the best of luck wherever that may be.  

To be honest I’ve been much more positive with Byrne than negative. He’s been a great signing. His strength has been in: very good close control; very good at interrupting opponents’ play; making himself available; pretty good passer; hardly ever losing possession; and strength in the tackle. Yet, despite these strengths; he never scores goals; he rarely puts the killer pass in that rips a defence open and I think it’s in this part of his game that GB feels we need more positive action. 
Over the piece, however, I understand GB’s view, and I wish Sean the best of luck wherever that may be.  

We’re each entitled to our own opinions of course but I see very little of these attributes. It’s like his confidence has taken a big dip. Best all round if he moves on IMO.

I'm happy with it. Do we want to go up and have Byrne in our starting 11?

I'm assuming people would want Kerr, McMullen and the rest of the players who were part of that scandalous season last year. 

This club needs to slowly rebuild and getting rid of pretty much all of McPakes duds is needed. For me personally i think French is standing out already above what we have. 

Thank you. 

20 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

I'm assuming people would want Kerr, McMullen and the rest of the players who were part of that scandalous season last year. 

This club needs to slowly rebuild and getting rid of pretty much all of McPakes duds is needed. For me personally i think French is standing out already above what we have. 

Thank you. 

Agree he looks like the real deal.  He’s a very composed player and is good with the ball at his feet.  I can’t remember who on here suggested it but I think when everyone is back fit it would be good to replace Marshall with him to see how he does there.  

Thank you. 

Cammy has played really well for a whole year, and he wasn’t that bad before that, just the fans boo boy. He’s like (Paul) McGinn and Holt before him, hounded out the club yet we can’t get anyone better.
French has had 2 decent touches so far, the break out against Arbroath, other than that he looks very limited to me. Just hoofs it.
Sweeney has a chance, could be coached into a decent CH, French, I have my doubts about, and at left back, fook me, he’s extremely one footed (his right). I haven’t seen much evidence of his fabled pace either, a couple of times on Saturday he got caught for pace one on one. More chance of Sweeney playing left back, which is actually not a bad shout. McCowan gets heaps of praise, never gets called out and whilst McMullen may not be premier standard, he is usually involved in the game more than McCowan, who goes into hiding.
If we got promoted the only player I’d defo want to keep would be Mulligan.

With Byrne off - who will be the next baller coming in?

I heard a rumour about a midfield general coming in called James Chapmanus. 

Anyone else hear anything?  

Edited by Girth