All things Dundee FC

Bowyer saying he wasn't aware we were favourites for the league is a wee bit worrying. 

Might be fantastic mind games just playing things down or showing that he's not paid any attention to that sort of thing but it should be obvious.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Bowyer saying he wasn't aware we were favourites for the league is a wee bit worrying. 

Might be fantastic mind games just playing things down or showing that he's not paid any attention to that sort of thing but it should be obvious.

It's pretty obvious he doesn't pay a smidge of attention to pishy betting rubbish (and nor should he, or anyone tbh), doesn't concern me.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

It's pretty obvious he doesn't pay a smidge of attention to pishy betting rubbish (and nor should he, or anyone tbh), doesn't concern me.

I like your take but it just feeds the nagging worry that he's misjudged us and this division.

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I like your take but it just feeds the nagging worry that he's misjudged us and this division.

I don't think that logic makes sense though, the worry was that he was underestimating the quality of this division, but then he says he wasn't aware the betting sites had us as odds on favourites, which would make it sound like he's doing the opposite. Are you worried he thinks we're a mid-table team or something? The club will have expressly told him that promotion is the absolute key aim this season, and he'll know that full well and expect the same, as he said in the press conference.

Like any manager with a head on their shoulders, he has to try and avoid any of the tons of tabloid talk and fan opinions of him and his team, including betting websites because they don't actually mean anything. I would be concerned if Bowyer was worrying about what others thought about the team over his focus of getting the team to where he wants it to be, and am not surprised he didn't know because he really shouldn't care.

Still yet to be properly impressed by any of his signings, but considering two of the three are loans there I'm not too concerned about that just yet.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

100% this @Ludo*1, however there's no negativity allowed on the thread as yet.

Early days for our new manager, so fingers crossed and hope for the best.

My question would be, where are the signing targets the invisible Gordon Strachan was identifying several months ago prior to any managerial appointment?

You do not require the sight of shite, to smell shite.

Apologies for my honest opinion. 

Of course he knows we're favourites, and he's misjudged f**k all.
Bit early to be starting on the knicker wetting.
FFS.
Thank you.

Spot on. At the time of his appointment I had my doubts and expressed them. Now he’s in the job we’ve got to give the boy a chance. Thistle are a decent side and they got the breaks last Saturday.
Stay calm Ludo!

59 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Of course he knows we're favourites, and he's misjudged f**k all.

Bit early to be starting on the knicker wetting.

FFS.

Thank you.

I'm not knicker wetting but it's easy to be a bit suspect when you're used to continual disappointment!

Fair enough - glad you lads have cleared up my worries!

9 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Latest trialist, a 21 year old lad called Jay Bird, a free transfer from MK Dons. 

Spent last season on loan at Wealdstone FC, a semi professional club in the English 6th tier. A striker, played 10 games with one goal.

This has to be a joke, surely?

Regards.

He got punted earlier in the week.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thecourier.co.uk%2Ffp%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fdundee-fc%2F3562642%2Fdundee-gary-bowyers-transfer-frustration-continues-trialist-jay-bird%2F

Apparently a couple more disappointments on the transfer front, but still have a couple of potential deals "bubbling away".

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

General point (applies to all of us; i.e. not having a go at Dundee or Bowyer): the English market must be just about the worst place for clubs to be looking, because there's so much money in English football, which goes all the way down (full-time pros on decent money in the fifth tier, still plenty of cash around in the sixth tier).

That means the chances of getting somebody who will make a difference in the second tier up here, for money that will persuade them to relocate, are extremely slim. All these types of signing are essentially punts.

Post-brexit, of course, there are few other options... which is why the big squeeze at this level is on: clubs competing for a limited supply of affordable players who might actually be good enough.

Genuinely interested to see what Dundee - objectively the biggest club in the league - can do to put some distance between themselves and the likes of Partick or Queen's Park.

General point (applies to all of us; i.e. not having a go at Dundee or Bowyer): the English market must be just about the worst place for clubs to be looking, because there's so much money in English football, which goes all the way down (full-time pros on decent money in the fifth tier, still plenty of cash around in the sixth tier).
That means the chances of getting somebody who will make a difference in the second tier up here, for money that will persuade them to relocate, are extremely slim. All these types of signing are essentially punts.
Post-brexit, of course, there are few other options... which is why the big squeeze at this level is on: clubs competing for a limited supply of affordable players who might actually be good enough.
Genuinely interested to see what Dundee - objectively the biggest club in the league - can do to put some distance between themselves and the likes of Partick or Queen's Park.

I totally agree with you re the English league in general. That said Livi picked up Nouble from Aldershot (for example) so it can be done.

9 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

So what's your verdict?

The fruits looked decent, but then again so they should, with the amount of money ploughed in. They'll get found out in the return leg though, so all is well.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm not knicker wetting but it's easy to be a bit suspect when you're used to continual disappointment!

Fair enough - glad you lads have cleared up my worries!

Was maybe a bit harsh on you there, but I'd just witnessed a dayglo win, so wasn't in the best of moods.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

Latest trialist, a 21 year old lad called Jay Bird, a free transfer from MK Dons. 

Spent last season on loan at Wealdstone FC, a semi professional club in the English 6th tier. A striker, played 10 games with one goal.

This has to be a joke, surely?

Regards.

Wealdstone Raider GIF - Wealdstone Raider Beer - Discover & Share GIFs