All things Dundee FC

15 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

Penny may have now dropped for some of us John Nelms, throw your young, previously bullet-proof prodigy under the bus without (allegedly) it would appear having any replacement lined up? James McPake added to his playing squad only last week for goodness sake!

It would have been considerably easier answering the questions put to you last December regarding the purchase and subsequent resale of Dens Park prior to the new stadium project rather than now play a game of deflection in February?

Truly, truly hope I'm wrong, obviously taking into account the shit we've had to endure the last six years or so.

I look forward to a sensible management appointment, nowt less than Jack Ross is acceptable.

Tick tock. 

Hahahahahah

only us

59 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Curious how a St Mirren fan would know who has applied for the Aberdeen job.

Because his brother sisters hairdresser who is pals with the wuman who works in Greggs told her man who works in a bookies he told a punter who told a barman which I over heard when the barman was in a news agent.  Is that not where utter nonsense rumours start ?  Now what long winding path story did your Jack Ross clause pop up from. 

There seems to be a lot of reaction here from fans of clubs who were on the outside looking in and mainly see the occasional drubbing his teams take (he doesn't really do "safe" choices so when it goes wrong it goes VERY wrong)

Mark McGhee will be very good for you, for what you need at this point. Both times he's come in to Fir Park he's taken over an absolute shambles sitting bottom/2nd bottom, and took them to 3rd/4th within a matter of months. Particularly his last spell when we couldn't buy a win for love nor money and were floundering around in 11th when he took over late October, and we were sitting 4th come April.

Aberdeen fans will have a different opinion as the job he was expected to do there was very different to what he was doing when he arrived at us (and more akin to his 2nd seasons at FP....which resulted in him getting binned). He's very good at coming in, transforming a struggling team and turning them around. Not so good at the next stage....but it seems like Dundee are bringing him in to do exactly that and finding someone else for next season anyway so the next stage doesn't matter.

He'll definitely keep you up I have no doubt of that, and I fully expect some of the football will be much more enjoyable to watch (although as I say he's so stubborn that there will also be the wrong end of a 4 or 5 nil mixed in there). The only concern you might have is that when he keeps you up (and he will), that will be deemed enough to keep him on, which probably won't go quite as well.

I'd be pretty wary of just focusing on his very VERY public lowlights, and give him a chance. That's not to say I'd have him back at FP in any capacity to be fair....but he will 100% do what you need at this particular time.

Edited by Al B

4 minutes ago, Al B said:

There seems to be a lot of reaction here from fans of clubs who were on the outside looking in and mainly see the occasional drubbing his teams take (he doesn't really do "safe" choices so when it goes wrong it goes VERY wrong)

Mark McGhee will be very good for you, for what you need at this point. Both times he's come in to Fir Park he's taken over an absolute shambles sitting bottom/2nd bottom, and took them to 3rd/4th within a matter of months. Particularly his last spell when we couldn't buy a win for love nor money and were floundering around in 11th when he took over late October, and we were sitting 4th come April.

Aberdeen fans will have a different opinion as the job he was expected to do there was very different to what he was doing when he arrived at us (and more akin to his 2nd seasons at FP....which resulted in him getting binned). He's very good at coming in, transforming a struggling team and turning them around. Not so good at the next stage....but it seems like Dundee are bringing him in to do exactly that and finding someone else for next season anyway so the next stage doesn't matter.

He'll definitely keep you up I have no doubt of that, and I fully expect some of the football will be much more enjoyable to watch (although as I say he's so stubborn that there will also be the wrong end of a 4 or 5 nil mixed in there). The only concern you might have is that when he keeps you up (and he will), that will be deemed enough to keep him on, which probably won't go quite as well.

I'd be pretty wary of just focusing on his very VERY public lowlights, and give him a chance. That's not to say I'd have him back at FP in any capacity to be fair....but he will 100% do what you need at this particular time.

Not here for this reasoned analysis pish.

12 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

What an absolute travesty it will be if we appoint Mark McGhee.

I genuinely think it will be the final nail in the coffin for alot of fans. Don't even think about doing this Dundee FFS.

Can you imagine the dense thinking behind needing experience and concluding that Mark mcGhee is the man. If it's coming from Strachan that's even worse throwing his mates name in the hat. I thought for a bit we might actually be on the cusp of moving forward as a club but we'd be accepting utter mediocrity once again.

Im going to enjoy a peaceful sleep tonight because I predict tomorrow ill be typing through  a tidal wave of tears and slavering. I can already feel the rage building but will temper it until the announcement is made.

Thank you.

😅

Simon Rusk is a very highly regarded young coach, yes it didn't work out at Stockport but that was more to do with expectations- promotion from a very tight National League. He was far from a disaster there. I got the sense he just didn't fit that club, and he also was following a legendary manager dismissed in murky circumstances. Maybe there's a medium term plan for him to take over.

I honestly had no idea McGhee was still working, a pretty jaw-dropping appointment. The only time I have seen his name recently is "John McVeigh" type suggestions when a club is looking for a new manager.

anyway this is verging on "reasoned analysis" so...

Ray Liotta Laughing GIF - Ray Liotta Laughing Happy - Discover & Share GIFs

I would also recommend some of the twitter meltdowns in the comments under the club's official announcement.

I'm laughing at the appointment but that's more to do with the reactions than anything else. This is pretty much my take on Mcghee as well - he's done a lot of good things as a manager but when things go wrong they go BADLY wrong. I've said it elsewhere but he either seems to lose interest or becomes complacent (I'm not sure which). His first seasons (certainly with us anyway) always went well but things usually went to shit after that.

We're due to play Dundee at Fir Park on 5th March. Fully expect Mcghee to pull off a tactical masterclass.

2 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'm laughing at the appointment but that's more to do with the reactions than anything else. This is pretty much my take on Mcghee as well - he's done a lot of good things as a manager but when things go wrong they go BADLY wrong. I've said it elsewhere but he either seems to lose interest or becomes complacent (I'm not sure which). His first seasons (certainly with us anyway) always went well but things usually went to shit after that.

We're due to play Dundee at Fir Park on 5th March. Fully expect Mcghee to pull off a tactical masterclass.

That will come to him in a dream the night before.

9 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Simon Rusk is a very highly regarded young coach, yes it didn't work out at Stockport but that was more to do with expectations- promotion from a very tight National League. He was far from a disaster there. I got the sense he just didn't fit that club, and he also was following a legendary manager dismissed in murky circumstances. Maybe there's a medium term plan for him to take over.

I honestly had no idea McGhee was still working, a pretty jaw-dropping appointment. The only time I have seen his name recently is "John McVeigh" type suggestions when a club is looking for a new manager.

anyway this is verging on "reasoned analysis" so...

Ray Liotta Laughing GIF - Ray Liotta Laughing Happy - Discover & Share GIFs

I would also recommend some of the twitter meltdowns in the comments under the club's official announcement.

Literally James mcpkae .2 edition 

As funny as it is, an experienced man might be exactly what Dundee need. It can't have been easy for a fairly young inexperienced manager like McPake to manage the likes of Adam, Cummings and Griffiths. The timing is a bit bonkers after back to back wins though.

As a short term fix, it could do the job. Sitting in a desperate position in the league, Dundee have thrown the dice, which certainly adds an intriguing twist to the relegation battle.

31 minutes ago, Al B said:

He'll definitely keep you up I have no doubt of that.

Perfect.

A Dundee side signing a fat jobber manager to stave off relegation, and now we have the "Al B Guarantee" that he'll keep the club up.

Just need a hammering followed by a McGhee meltdown asking "whats the fucking point" at some point now.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I think this is an ok appointment actually, as long as it's just till the end of the season. I reckon he's got as good a chance as anyone of keeping us up.

We were maybe (rightly?) cautious about making a long term appointment at the moment, and I imagine that Ross and others may have been put off by that. What I'm concerned about is that he becomes the best option at the end of the season as others are snapped up.

I’d have taken a gaffer to the end of season and see where we are and budget accordingly after that.

I can’t believe they just asked Strachan’s speed dial 1 if he’s free knowing full well about the 6 game ban.

keeping mackay is also bad form and should be gone with mcpake too.

lastly is it not mental that McGee was the assistant to his current assistant, at Stockport

fundee stuff

As funny as it is, an experienced man might be exactly what Dundee need. It can't have been easy for a fairly young inexperienced manager like McPake to manage the likes of Adam, Cummings and Griffiths. The timing is a bit bonkers after back to back wins though.

As a short term fix, it could do the job. Sitting in a desperate position in the league, Dundee have thrown the dice, which certainly adds an intriguing twist to the relegation battle.

Completely agree!!