All things Dundee FC

Deary me.

We're never going to improve as a team/club when people keep harping on about signing ex players.

Stewart had many brilliant moments and was a joy to watch at times but to stay up he's not what we need. 

Our defence is fucking shambolic and we may well go down without strengthening. Our goalkeeper has a habit of throwing stuff in lately aswell so that's an issue along with badly needing another central midfielder.

I can just imagine us signing Watson and Stewart with everyone creaming themselves without even bothering about the fact it would take us down. We have enough of our budget being taken up by attacking players just now, we need to strengthen our weak areas.

I know alot of it is tongue in cheek but we have weak areas that have been left for years and the amateur nature of the club is getting on my tits.

Thank you.

Usually I'm against it and agree we need to build for the future. One of the very disappointing things about our current signing policy is that we aren't doing that, panic stations and rightfully so atm.

Still while we were barely touching the ball in Aberdeen on Boxing Day GGS was doing this - https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2021/dec/30/jamshedpur-fcs-greg-stewart-scores-spectacular-bending-free-kick-in-isl-video

40 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Deary me.

We're never going to improve as a team/club when people keep harping on about signing ex players.

Stewart had many brilliant moments and was a joy to watch at times but to stay up he's not what we need. 

Our defence is fucking shambolic and we may well go down without strengthening. Our goalkeeper has a habit of throwing stuff in lately aswell so that's an issue along with badly needing another central midfielder.

I can just imagine us signing Watson and Stewart with everyone creaming themselves without even bothering about the fact it would take us down. We have enough of our budget being taken up by attacking players just now, we need to strengthen our weak areas.

I know alot of it is tongue in cheek but we have weak areas that have been left for years and the amateur nature of the club is getting on my tits.

Thank you.

With Charlie Adam missing, we are badly needing some creative spark. Obviously as RossB points out, Stewart wouldn't be coming in until next season at the earliest and I think he would massively improve our squad. Certainly a much bigger priority than the goalkeeper IMO.

Whole defence is the priority though, you're right and Paul Watson is just adding another body without any improvement on quality. Can he replace Lee Ashcroft for a couple of month? I suppose so, but the issue is that we need to be improving on Ashcroft by a considerable amount rather than having a 'that'll do player' until Ashcroft is back. Depressing stuff.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

With Charlie Adam missing, we are badly needing some creative spark. Obviously as RossB points out, Stewart wouldn't be coming in until next season at the earliest and I think he would massively improve our squad. Certainly a much bigger priority than the goalkeeper IMO.

Whole defence is the priority though, you're right and Paul Watson is just adding another body without any improvement on quality. Can he replace Lee Ashcroft for a couple of month? I suppose so, but the issue is that we need to be improving on Ashcroft by a considerable amount rather than having a 'that'll do player' until Ashcroft is back. Depressing stuff.

With Adam out we miss creativity in the centre of the pitch  which gets the balls from defence into our attacking players at speed along with balls being played through the lines of the defence.

Stewart wouldn't give us that from deeper in attacking transitions. McMullen and McCowan both do some incredible backtracking that Stewart couldn't do so for me he would only beable to fit in where McGowan is playing behind the striker. In that position he could most definitely do us a turn but you couldn't also argue McGowan harrying of opponents on the ball at times is much more of a help to our honking defence than Stewart would be.

We're in a relegation battle. Stewart coming in wouldn't be my choice of signing, but each to their own, I'm just expressing my opinion.

Legzdins isnt a major issue but I'm afraid if we want to be top 6 I'd be wanting better. His kicking has been atrocious lately and he's thrown goals in at Tannadice, Pittodrie and County at home without me giving it more than a few seconds thought. He's a good shot stopper along with being comfortably one of the best at taking balls from crosses we've had in some time, however I'm not of the opinion he's a definite starter in a top six side. I want us to be looking for improvement all the time. 

County showed with Harry Clarke what's available out there. Think of all the players in England that are available on loans right now, for us to be taking in Watson is really disappointing. We as a club really need to take our recruitment to the next level. I'm not sure that's capable under the current regime however.

To stay up we need a new fullback, centre half and centre midfield with creative ability. An added bonus would be another out and out winger.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

5 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Welcome aboard Jay Chapman. 

@CanadianDee, what like? 

Unfortunately as pertains to this topic I am of no use. Although I am a dual citizen, and I have spent half my life in Canada I have never seen an MLS game on TV or otherwise. I don't even take much note of the Canadian men's team as my only 'soccer' interests are Dundee and the wider Scottish game and our national team. I've never heard the name Jay Chapman until this thread.

Having said that feel free to ask me about beavers, surviving a prairie winter, the Canadian electoral system, and Canadian football (helmets and pads).

57 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Darren O’Dea (once of this parish) and Lafferty are married to sisters who’s Maiden name was Chung. Good looking lassies imo. f3265d57bdca9f57f8b52f31125f8d8d.jpg

The one at the back isn't bad, but not so sure about the one in front.  

Received a message just there saying we are looking at a CM called Jay Chapman with talks expected - was linked with another Scottish club but the deal has stalled so we've jumped in apparently. Last played for Inter Miami.

Which other club was it Ludo?

I am normally totally against re-signing past players but for guys like GGS I would make an exception.

I also don’t totally subscribe to the view that our defence is totally honking. We are totally mediocre all over the park.

Up front is particularly weak.

Cummings is a goalscorer but is otherwise limited, Griffiths is totally unfit and stuffed with baggage, Mullen tries like a beast but lacks skill and size to be really effective, Sheridan is out for the season. f**k knows what Jakubiak is, other than a bloody good scrabble word.

On balance the midfield just about gets pass marks.

With Ashcroft fucked we need another CH, a big lad who can play the lone striker role as required, an upgrade on either fullback (or both) and, unpopular as it is, a good keeper.

10 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

Unfortunately as pertains to this topic I am of no use. Although I am a dual citizen, and I have spent half my life in Canada I have never seen an MLS game on TV or otherwise. I don't even take much note of the Canadian men's team as my only 'soccer' interests are Dundee and the wider Scottish game and our national team. I've never heard the name Jay Chapman until this thread.

Having said that feel free to ask me about beavers, surviving a prairie winter, the Canadian electoral system, and Canadian football (helmets and pads).

I've watched a few MLS games in the stadium and on TV, and even the odd Canadian match.

You are the wiser of the two of us.

4 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Hopefully he gets banned from punditry next. 

The article says he has two sources of income football and punditry but his punditry work has all by dried up 🤞

Does just say for the BBC though...

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/courts/2884650/dundee-charlie-adam-drink-drive/

Edited by locheedee