All things Dundee FC

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

As for Griffiths, I reckon he's got zero chance of getting back into the Celtic team now. January would have been the key gauge for Postecoglou who'll no doubt be further strengthening that aspect of the squad then.

I'm of the thought process that there's still a very good player there. It's taken a lot longer than we'd hoped to get him to peak condition but we're still working on it and a lot of that will be mental stuff we need to work on rather than physical IMO.

Chances are he'll be looking for a club in the summer and we've already spent a good number of months rehabiliating him to the point that we might be looking at next season before he is 100% and he won't have massive offers coming in for him.

I'd still have us working with him tbh. A quite expensive gamble, but long term it could reap desired rewards IMO.

Could still do some damage if his body and mind are good, and just now, they are not. I really want him to do well for us, but he needs to earn it.

If he does play, he may fit in a Harkins type roll, but we already have a slow play maker. 

In other news, I'm currently using the Dundee forum to try and compile a fan decided 'squad' over the past 10 years (2011-12 season until now).

I've got a manager, goalkeeper and CH thread on the go just now and will post other positions up later on in the week:

https://www.thedarkblues.co.uk/topic/27871-manager-of-the-decade/

https://www.thedarkblues.co.uk/topic/27870-goalkeeper-of-the-decade/

https://www.thedarkblues.co.uk/topic/27872-ch-of-the-decade/

If you've got a lapsed or current account on there, your vote would be much appreciated. Will share the results on here for anyone that doesn't like one club forums but would be good if the Dees on here could participate!

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, This Charming Man said:

Claudio Caniggia at the age of 33 years 9 months representing our proud club.

Regards

can2-e1558710343365-940x564.jpg.f13b9bd6dece33943e3e45a571b51926.jpg

Charlie Adam around a similar age, a year before he signed for us:

Charlie Adam, 34 or 74? : r/ScottishFootball

Two images that highlight what it's like to be the top specimens of the human race IMO.

To be honest I think Griffiths is completely done as a top flight footballer. He'll be 32 by the start of next season, and players with his disposition and total disregard for professionalism don't tend to suddenly get their shit together in their early thirties, remodel their bodies, and enjoy an Indian summer. It tends to go the other way, quickly, and I don't think the minuscule chance that he somehow has an epiphany is worth the cost of a wage that could be spent on a happy, fit, motivated, professional, and committed individual to strengthen the team elsewhere.

I have endless sympathy for people who suffer with mental health issues, but you can't constantly pander to a player who is unendingly unprofessional. Rather than offering him a deal, I'd be happy to let him become a free-agent without offering him anything, and if he suddenly turns up in September, fit as a fiddle and raring to go entirely off his own back, then I'd be open to offering him something short-term. I think it's far more likely though that after two months without a club he'll have ballooned in weight and be sitting on his arse doing nothing about it, which is all you'd need to know about whether or not you should still be talking about giving him a look.

A couple of seasons ago I'd have been more willing to be a bit more patient, but the fact that Scotland just played in a major finals, at home, and even that didn't inspire him to get his shit together enough to put himself in contention for a place in a squad that is devoid of striking talent leads me to think that he simply isn't all that bothered. I know as well as anyone what a fucker depression is, so again, I sympathise with anyone going through it, but Dundee FC isn't a mental health respite centre and isn't there to take flyers on players who evidently aren't all that bothered about helping themselves.

Edited by Boo Khaki

In case I've missed my call here or the indeed unlikely event of having been misunderstood. I'm not casting any stones towards the titan otherwise known as Sir Charles of Adam who covers nearly every blade of grass attempting to recover the certain mistakes which surround him at the detriment of his natural game whilst also approaching his own 36th birthday.

Enough now said from me regarding the unprofessional condition of a certain player currently on loan at Dens Park. I truly wish him well in his future career.

Regards, the bright lights of home!  

817415640_download(21).jpg.78bb56da932bf5959567f5d0eab7f831.jpg    

To be fair, he said it during his first spell at Dundee and Riordan was on the verge of moving to Celtic and O'Connor had just came back from Russia and playing for Birmingham who were in the EPL at the time.

Just now, This Charming Man said:

In case I've missed my call here or the indeed unlikely event of having been misunderstood. I'm not casting any stones towards the titan otherwise known as Sir Charles of Adam who covers nearly every blade of grass attempting to recover the certain mistakes which surround him at the detriment of his natural game whilst also approaching his own 36th birthday.

Enough now said from me regarding the unprofessional condition of a certain player currently on loan at Dens Park. I truly wish him well in his future career.

Regards, the bright lights of home!  

817415640_download(21).jpg.78bb56da932bf5959567f5d0eab7f831.jpg    

I was joking around with you.

The Aberdeen goal alone is enough to see that Griffiths can still make it as a top flight player.  The run and touch into his path from a long ball was class, followed up with the finish. He actually done okay last week when he came on, taking a few long balls down effortlessly and holding it up in the last ten. 

We've won the last three games out of five only being beaten by the OF, where Griffiths has played absolutely minimal minutes. If anyone is expecting the same frame from Griffiths as when he was here before it's never going to happen.  The likes of Tony Watt looks of a similiar build; times change. I doubt anyone has the eyesight to be able to know his muscle to fat ratio's when judging his frame. If you do fair one. 

McPake has been commenting pre match about Griffiths firnesss levels improving and i'm inclined to believe him over the fans judgement. If Griffiths can get himself fit enough that his technical ability can be shown then he'll still do us a great turn. I'm not giving up hope yet of him doing some good for us this season. Especially after five games where Mullens form has kept him from having a chance to prove his worth with another months training under his belt. 

(He most definitely wasn't fit enough when he was thrown straight in ahead of the free scoring Cummings which was a managerial mistake).

Thank you, 

I think Charlie Adam gets an unfairly hard time about 'fitness' tbh.

Some humans are just naturally more athletic than others, and unfortunately for Charlie he's at the lesser end of that particular spectrum. I've never seen anything from him that makes me think he's putting in less than 100% effort because of a fitness deficiency. He's just not the quickest around the park and never has been, but I don't think he's unfit, and I certainly don't believe he's lazy.

GGH was a bit the same. Pilloried for being unfit and lazy, when for the most part it was just a bit of a lack of natural athleticism.

2 minutes ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

(He most definitely wasn't fit enough when he was thrown straight in ahead of the free scoring Cummings which was a managerial mistake).

Yeah, that was a total puzzler. Can only imagine McPake thought the return would create a bit of a buzz and maybe buy us a goal or two.

I'd love to see LG turn it around and totally shut my puss, just can't see it happening though.

I’d be inclined to agree with those above about LG natural fitness instead of being “fat” which tbh in football his “fat” would make the rest of us look like jabba the hut , I don’t particularly care if he tracks back follows his man whatever it may be that’s what Mccowan, McMullan , Anderson is for, I want LG using as minimal energy as possible and stood in the 18 yard box and not to move from there just keep firing the ball near the box and sure as shyte he’ll get goals.

31 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think Charlie Adam gets an unfairly hard time about 'fitness' tbh.

Some humans are just naturally more athletic than others, and unfortunately for Charlie he's at the lesser end of that particular spectrum. I've never seen anything from him that makes me think he's putting in less than 100% effort because of a fitness deficiency. He's just not the quickest around the park and never has been, but I don't think he's unfit, and I certainly don't believe he's lazy.

GGH was a bit the same. Pilloried for being unfit and lazy, when for the most part it was just a bit of a lack of natural athleticism.

Unfit/lazy players aren't playing top flight football in CM at 35/36. Its that simple really.

I can't remember what the wage situation was re the loan, but presuming we're not paying a great deal of it, then I'd say he gets until January to up his fitness levels, if not punt him back to Celtic, where i'm sure the likes of Jinky will be handing their season tickets back in disgust 😂

If his fitness metrics show he's making progress then we could try to keep him until the end of the season.