All things Dundee FC

I've championed support for everything Charlie Adam on P&B on numerous occasions. However to leave Dens Park for that destination would be a defection 100x worse than leaving for Tannadice, imho.
Never understood anyone from our part of the world having an interest or affection for any of that generic west coast sh*te.
Truly hope the rumours are wide of the mark as I believe he has great deal to offer Dundee and not just on the playing side of the business.
Merely my opinion. 

Whilst Charlie is not nearly as thick as I suspected prior to him joining us neither does he look like managerial material to me either. No more rookies for us, he can go and cut his teeth at Montrose or Elgin and if he does a job he can be considered. The best managerial appointment the septics have made was Hartley, following this formula.
It was great to finally sign him, he was very entertaining last season and whilst he can still produce brief cameo turns in games he’s pretty much feenished at this level.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Exactly. There are posters complaining about Adam doing it that we're behind O'Dea doing it "as long as he does the job on the pitch". 

To be fair to them they can’t be faulted for their efforts on the park. 

I would’ve far preferred O’Dea as manager when McPake got the gig, having said that both should’ve been nowhere ear getting offered it. 

21 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Exactly. There are posters complaining about Adam doing it that we're behind O'Dea doing it "as long as he does the job on the pitch". 

I think the difference with this is that O'Dea is a Celtic fan, and talking up the team you support is something that doesn't bother fans.

Charlie on the other hand comes across as 'big team found', in every single interview he does.

What is exactly the happy medium when it comes to managers? Nobody starting out ie Adam,o’dea, (Kevin)Thompson but also not experienced yogi,McIntyre(albeit for other reasons, lennon, McCall

also take Hartley but also don’t take Harley cause we shouldn’t look back???

john Robertson “the man”?

Edited by D TOTAL

I hope we go for someone none of us have ever heard of just so we have a few extra weeks of hope before finding out he’s shite instead of instantly knowing he will be. Which would be the case if we hired someone like Yogi.

36 minutes ago, K.T said:

I hope we go for someone none of us have ever heard of just so we have a few extra weeks of hope before finding out he’s shite instead of instantly knowing he will be. Which would be the case if we hired someone like Yogi.

Agree with the sentiment. Grab someone from the league of Ireland or national conference English teams.

Someone hungry and ready for a step up rather than someone's reject or someone who is happy to coast it.

1 hour ago, D TOTAL said:

What is exactly the happy medium when it comes to managers? Nobody starting out ie Adam,o’dea, (Kevin)Thompson but also not experienced yogi,McIntyre(albeit for other reasons, lennon, McCall

also take Hartley but also don’t take Harley cause we shouldn’t look back???

john Robertson “the man”?

Clearly wouldn't presume that what works for Motherwell would work for Dundee but it's been a thing with us that barring McGhee's 2nd stint (which was essentially a re-appointment) we haven't appointed a manager who had/has previously managed another club in Scotland since the 80s.

The 90s we went through a spell of giving managers their first jobs McLeish inherited a great team but the wheels came off after a couple of seasons, Davies was promoted from within and spent all of John Boyle's money on various family members. Black only lasted 27 games before admin.

Davies aside we've swerved the former player/club legend route. (He falls into the former player rather than club legend category obvs).

Generally our more successful appointments have been managers who fall in the 40-50 bracket with a bit of previous experience.

McGhee was 50 when we appointed him he'd previously managed Reading, Leicester, Wolves, Millwall and Brighton.

McCall was 46 and had previously managed 135 games at Bradford and a fair bit of coaching at Bradford and Sheffield United.

Robinson was 42 and had obviously been assistant to Baraclough, left to manage Oldham and had come back in as first team coach just in time for your lot to scud us 5-1 at Fir Park and see McGhee get his jotters.

It's still early days for Alexander but he was 49 when he was appointed and had managed at Fleetwood, Scunthorpe and Salford before he pitched up here.

Those appointments for the most part were left field enough to miss the usual suspects but not wild enough to be totally whacky. The story is that we ended up giving Robinson the job ahead of John Hughes (although Hughes' people tell a slightly different story obvs).

I'd say someone who's experienced enough at a decent level to know what they're doing, young enough to have ambition to learn and develop, distant enough from the Scottish game to come in with a fresh pair of eyes and has a background that carries enough weight in the dressing room is the sort of profile that's a good fit for Scottish football.

I've said it before in this thread but I genuinely think that if Dundee opened the job to applications and you had a chief executive with half a clue of what makes a good football manager at this level you'd probably be surprised at the sort of applicants you'd get that are outside the usual faces.

Edited by capt_oats

14 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Clearly wouldn't presume that what works for Motherwell would work for Dundee but it's been a thing with us that barring McGhee's 2nd stint (which was essentially a re-appointment) we haven't appointed a manager who had/has previously managed another club in Scotland since the 80s.

The 90s we went through a spell of giving managers their first jobs McLeish inherited a great team but the wheels came off after a couple of seasons, Davies was promoted from within and spent all of John Boyle's money on various family members. Black only lasted 27 games before admin.

Davies aside we've swerved the former player/club legend route. (He falls into the former player rather than club legend category obvs).

Generally our more successful appointments have been managers who fall in the 40-50 bracket with a bit of previous experience.

McGhee was 50 when we appointed him he'd previously managed Reading, Leicester, Wolves, Millwall and Brighton.

McCall was 46 and had previously managed 135 games at Bradford and a fair bit of coaching at Bradford and Sheffield United.

Robinson was 42 and had obviously been assistant to Baraclough, left to manage Oldham and had come back in as first team coach just in time for your lot to scud us 5-1 at Fir Park and see McGhee get his jotters.

It's still early days for Alexander but he was 49 when he was appointed and had managed at Fleetwood, Scunthorpe and Salford before he pitched up here.

Those appointments for the most part were left field enough to miss the usual suspects but not wild enough to be totally whacky. The story is that we ended up giving Robinson the job ahead of John Hughes (although Hughes' people tell a slightly different story obvs).

I'd say someone who's experienced enough at a decent level to know what they're doing, young enough to have ambition to learn and develop, distant enough from the Scottish game to come in with a fresh pair of eyes and has a background that carries enough weight in the dressing room is the sort of profile that's a good fit for Scottish football.

I've said it before in this thread but I genuinely think that if Dundee opened the job to applications and you had a chief executive with half a clue of what makes a good football manager at this level you'd probably be surprised at the sort of applicants you'd get that are outside the usual faces.

We did a couple seasons ago, from what nelms said we had a boatload from all over the globe with…. mcpake being the best of the bunch…

Totally agree and this process and selection criteria are glaringly obvious - it’s pretty much the route any successful business goes down when recruiting - it’s not rocket science.

1 minute ago, Vernon gilmore said:

Then you’ll get all the folk who moaned about Kamara going for feck all moaning again

Hopefully he's out of contract again, and fucks off down to Birmingham for nothing.

Thank you.

4 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Totally agree and this process and selection criteria are glaringly obvious - it’s pretty much the route any successful business goes down when recruiting - it’s not rocket science.

Aye, to be clear this isn't me parachuting into your thread claiming we've reinvented the wheel or whatever. It's just that on the face of things there seems to have been a trend/profile that's worked for us.

It's why Eric Nicholson getting his feelings hurt that we didn't appoint Tommy Wright in the Courier got a reaction from a few of us at the time. If you look at our historic managerial choices then us going for Alexander ahead of Wright was hardly 'inexplicable'.

In fact, in hindsight Wright wouldn't have been anything like the "glaringly obvious ‘two plus two equals four’ fit" he claims (although I'm sure most would have had no real issue if it had been Wright). The idea of Tommy Wright dealing with our media team and relentlessly improving people's lives is quite funny though.

In the same way, from the outside looking it's interesting (to me) to try and get a handle on what would be a good fit for Dundee and work out what Nelms has been looking for when he's appointed McCann, McIntyre and McPake (Hartley wasn't Nelms, right?). You obviously had the interest in Jack Ross prior to McCann getting the job permanently then flip-flopped on the "criteria" for the job with McIntyre before going in-house with McPake who'd been viewed as a project being trained up.

I can see why folk have been suggesting that Charlie Adam would be a stick-on to get the job next but equally I'm not sure I could confidently second guess Nelms.

Edited by capt_oats

12 hours ago, Crawford said:

Agree with the sentiment. Grab someone from the league of Ireland or national conference English teams.

Someone hungry and ready for a step up rather than someone's reject or someone who is happy to coast it.

Just looking at potentially promising managers, I'd be looking at...

Pete Wild (Halifax)

Tommy Miller (Spennymoor)

James Rowe (Chesterfield) 

1 hour ago, Robin.Hood said:

Charlie Adam famously scored from his own half for @stokecity in 2015. Which Chelsea goalkeeper did he score against at Stamford Bridge?

DundeeFC midfielder Charlie Adam is a guest on tonight's QuestionofSport.

Tune in to BBCOne at 7:35pm.

From twitter ^ 

Meh 

Petr Cech yourself before you Petr Wrech yourself.