All things Dundee FC

5 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Signing a sex attacker? f**k me, are we trying to be Dundee United?

Get this ludicrous idea straight into the bin and whoever thought of it needs a firm fucking boot up the arse. 

Thats a horrendous take. Bit disappointed to be honest

Fwiw, glad to see the Dees on here disgusted with the idea of signing this boy. Shouldnt be anywhere near a football club let along one in this city

1 minute ago, Twinkle said:

Thats a horrendous take. Bit disappointed to be honest

Fwiw, glad to see the Dees on here disgusted with the idea of signing this boy. Shouldnt be anywhere near a football club let along one in this city

TBF Plenty of United fans thought the whole David Goodwillie thing was a right laugh and even had a song for it.

However it was a bit dickish of me so duly edited. 

11 minutes ago, Damaged Radio said:

A bit concerning someone at the club (McPake?) thought it acceptable to even bring him on trial. Obviously that wouldn’t be done if there was no interest whatsoever.

that’s out with the fans control and clearly the Dundee fans won’t stand for this. I think questions should still be asked of whom ever thought it was fine to bring him in for a look in the first place. 

There's no way it was never discussed.

What's worse is someone evidentially followed that up with "that's not too bad, bring him in".

I think it's a terrible look PR-wise, but I don't really have an ethical or moral issue with it. 

People with criminal convictions shouldn't be prevented from working, and professional footballer is just another job. I doubt anyone would be complaining if he was stacking shelves in Asda or working in an admin role for some soulless corp somewhere. It's because it's a publicly visible job with thousands of people watching him perform that it makes people uneasy.

Different story if it's someone who has committed offences against children. Even though a player isn't necessarily going to come in contact with young players at the club, I don't think you can hire someone like that in a place of employment that does have minors around, even if they are not in a role that requires clean DBS.

Clubs have signed and paid players with all sorts of criminal convictions in the past. Darian MacKinnon, Declan Gallacher etc. I don't think you can really veto one offender when you are happy to employ others.

6 minutes ago, Damaged Radio said:

Dundee employ women though, yes? I’d imagine they wouldn’t be comfortable at all around someone like that. 

That's true, but in terms of safeguarding it's not remotely the same thing. People are well aware, or at least, the relevant people will be aware. It's not like he's an offender who has gone under the radar, evaded detection, or is passing DBS despite being a known offender. Adults aren't as susceptible to deception or coercion, so it's not the same as potentially putting children at risk. As far as I'm aware there are no women at DFC who are employed in roles that mean they work directly with the 1st team squad, so even if he is signed it shouldn't be too difficult to ensure that he doesn't come into contact with female employees.

I completely accept that this might make women in particular uncomfortable, but as I said, the only way to prevent that is to prohibit anyone with any history of offending being permitted to participate in public life in any way. 

14 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think it's a terrible look PR-wise, but I don't really have an ethical or moral issue with it. 

People with criminal convictions shouldn't be prevented from working, and professional footballer is just another job. I doubt anyone would be complaining if he was stacking shelves in Asda or working in an admin role for some soulless corp somewhere. It's because it's a publicly visible job with thousands of people watching him perform that it makes people uneasy.

Different story if it's someone who has committed offences against children. Even though a player isn't necessarily going to come in contact with young players at the club, I don't think you can hire someone like that in a place of employment that does have minors around, even if they are not in a role that requires clean DBS.

Clubs have signed and paid players with all sorts of criminal convictions in the past. Darian MacKinnon, Declan Gallacher etc. I don't think you can really veto one offender when you are happy to employ others.

We could get into the point of the age of the victim being totally irrelevant whether it be child, young adult or pensioner but I won’t   However another thing that doesn’t lie easy with me is the lack of remorse in the interview I saw of him after signing for his 1st club after the court case. It wasn’t one were he apologised for his actions or acknowledged them it was one of “I only got this conviction through bad advice from my lawyer.” He either grabbed the woman by the hair and put his hand inside her bra twice or he never. If he never you’d sure as f**k deny any accusations and certainly not plead guilty on a lawyers say so. 

Get the idea of him signing in the sea. 

How many convictions does Gowser have for assaulting coppers now? 3?

Didn't Kyle Benedictus get himself into bother while a Dundee employee?

It's not like DFC can claim that they are entirely morally wholesome and are above this sort of thing as employers.

1 minute ago, Yenitit said:

We could get into the point of the age of the victim being totally irrelevant whether it be child, young adult or pensioner but I won’t   However another thing that doesn’t lie easy with me is the lack of remorse in the interview I saw of him after signing for his 1st club after the court case. It wasn’t one were he apologised for his actions or acknowledged them it was one of “I only got this conviction through bad advice from my lawyer.” He either grabbed the woman by the hair and put his hand inside her bra twice or he never. If he never you’d sure as f**k deny any accusations and certainly not plead guilty on a lawyers say so. If he did do it I don’t want him anywhere near my club  

Get the idea of him signing in the sea. 

2 minutes ago, Damaged Radio said:

I think Dundee’s duty of care should be to there current employees and their safety and well-being should take priority over a sex offender. Don’t think that’s a particularly controversial view point. 

Of course it's not controversial, it's perfectly reasonable. This is dependent though on whether the individual in question does actually pose a risk.

Furthermore more why go to the effort of keeping employees apart when Dundee could just not sign a sex offender?

Well perhaps there's no actual need to keep anyone apart, if employing someone in a 1st team playing role means they are never going to have to interact with female employees in any case. 

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Of course it's not controversial, it's perfectly reasonable. This is dependent though on whether the individual in question does actually pose a risk.

Well perhaps there's no actual need to keep anyone apart, if employing someone in a 1st team playing role means they are never going to have to interact with female employees in any case. 

You’ve mentioned Gowser amongst others which is totally fine. Rightly or wrongly I regard any sort of sexual offence on anyone of any age far, far worse than a battery assault. 

We can’t be signing someone because we can keep them out of harms way as a precaution. There will be women working in the players lounges and more than likely young female students in doing work experience phsiotherapy from time to time as part of their degrees. 

Why would the club put themselves in this position 🤦🏻‍♂️ Footballing wise his stats suggest he would be more than good enough but it’s not what I want at our club. 

37 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I am with you on this.

We do not know the circumstances of his crime at the time. 

Do I think Dundee should employ a sex offender, no I do not.

Do I think he should have been put on the sex offenders register, I am swayed to say no.

The boy cannot have his life defined by a drunken grope when he was 20, but at the same time, it could be a PR disaster for the club and something I think the club should distance itself from.

I am in no way condoning what the boy done, but at the same time it doesn't make him a beast.

Just now, Damaged Radio said:

We honestly must’ve read different articles because I can see no justification for those actions not resulting in a place on the sex offenders register. 

Fair enough, where do you draw the line on what incidents go on the register and what don't, it's all about opinion I suppose.