All things Dundee FC

Considering the usual length of post-match interviews on DeeTV, seeing that today's one was under two minutes was funny.

Might be reading into things too much, but I think McPake is fucking seething at Christie Elliott in particular (as he should be if this is the case). Subbed him off shortly after getting embarrassed for the umpteenth time today, and singled out how annoyed he was with the 3rd goal conceded. If Cammy's out for a while, surely he can see he needs to bring in a new RB on top of a CB if we're to make it in this league. Elliott was barely acceptable at Championship level, nvm in the big league.

And finally, this unfortunate frame which is the image for the Celtic post-match interview pretty much sums up my feelings about the day as a whole.

image.png.d274df87e607d169bf395a802ff49bbc.png

It's really annoying and predictable how a section of our fans respond to this type of result. And I'm not talking about the fans that are calling for the manager's head (that is dumb too, but wholly expected as kneejerk reactionaries  exists in every fanbase). 

The ones that annoy me are the 'what can you expect, it's Celtic', 'our results against the Old Firm won't decide our season', 'many teams will get crushed in Glasgow' brigade.

What I'd like to expect is at least the minimum amount of professionalism from our squad. I'd like the same from our captain (he looked reckless, and uninterested today), and manager (is he unaware that you are allowed to play different players in different formations for different occasions)?

Marshall's red card, amateurish garbage (maybe he couldn't run properly because he had his autograph book and pen stuffed down his sock looking for Joe Hart).

Charlie Adam reckless fouls in dangerous areas and frankly he didn't look up for the fight today, perhaps he was carrying a sack full of our money that he wanted to leave for the Old Firm to keep them happy.

Not one player today made the effort to cut out a pass today - simply be sticking a big toe out they could've prevented their first two goals, and the marking was so schoolboyish that it seemed like they didn't give a single sh*t about any of it!

Our manager sets us up to play the same way no matter whether it's St Mirren at home, Raith home, QotS home or Celtic away. What's he daein? It's fair to say he didn't hit them with a Braveheart speech today as we came out of the traps with all the energy and emotion of a sloth on thorazine.

There is a good chance that no team will go to away to Celtic this season and be beaten worse that we were today. And we haven't played a Septic team in such disarray for years. They've obviously got good players, but they're still learning each others names.

So no, I don't accept that it's Celtic away so what can you do attitude. It's not losing there that is deflating, it is the manner in which it occurs. I actually like McPake, but jeezy peeps this guy loves to embarrass us at least once or twice a season.

Edited by CanadianDee

9 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

Has anyone emailed in about Motherwell tickets and got a response? Not heard anything from club and don’t want to miss out again. 

I have, also heard nothing. Out and about today so might go to the club shop and inquire.

Regarding Elliott, it was clear last year that his lack of pace and tactical understanding would be shredded in the Premier. Well, yesterday he faced a team that despite its defensive problems is built for attack at pace and he couldnt handle it.

As for Furuhashi, he demonstrated the tactical understanding of how to run the channels and off the back of defenders, at speed, in a way no one in that squad has ever had to handle in the Championship. We will never get that from the likes of Cummings or Sheridan. They were outplayed by him. All of them.

11 hours ago, CanadianDee said:

It's really annoying and predictable how a section of our fans respond to this type of result. And I'm not talking about the fans that are calling for the manager's head (that is dumb too, but wholly expected as kneejerk reactionaries  exists in every fanbase). 

The ones that annoy me are the 'what can you expect, it's Celtic', 'our results against the Old Firm won't decide our season', 'many teams will get crushed in Glasgow' brigade.

What I'd like to expect is at least the minimum amount of professionalism from our squad. I'd like the same from our captain (he looked reckless, and uninterested today), and manager (is he unaware that you are allowed to play different players in different formations for different occasions)?

Marshall's red card, amateurish garbage (maybe he couldn't run properly because he had his autograph book and pen stuffed down his sock looking for Joe Hart).

Charlie Adam reckless fouls in dangerous areas and frankly he didn't look up for the fight today, perhaps he was carrying a sack full of our money that he wanted to leave for the Old Firm to keep them happy.

Not one player today made the effort to cut out a pass today - simply be sticking a big toe out they could've prevented their first two goals, and the marking was so schoolboyish that it seemed like they didn't give a single sh*t about any of it!

Our manager sets us up to play the same way no matter whether it's St Mirren at home, Raith home, QotS home or Celtic away. What's he daein? It's fair to say he didn't hit them with a Braveheart speech today as we came out of the traps with all the energy and emotion of a sloth on thorazine.

There is a good chance that no team will go to away to Celtic this season and be beaten worse that we were today. And we haven't played a Septic team in such disarray for years. They've obviously got good players, but they're still learning each others names.

So no, I don't accept that it's Celtic away so what can you do attitude. It's not losing there that is deflating, it is the manner in which it occurs. I actually like McPake, but jeezy peeps this guy loves to embarrass us at least once or twice a season.

A lot of good points but a lot of hyperbole as well. 

What did you expect with that defence? The 2 fullbacks aren’t the greatest at defending and get caught with the ball in between them and the centrehalfs far too often. Both are better going forward than defending. Could we go to places like Parkhead with Marshall playing where Gowser was with Panter, if he’s any good, playing behind him to make us more defensively sound? Results against them won’t decide our fate. The games against Yenited, Livi, St Mirren, St Johnstone, County and Motherwell will. 

Why would you think there was a lack of professionalism. The last thing I’d throw at this group of players is that accusation. Outplayed by players better than them doesn’t mean a lack of effort or professionalism. 

I agree about your comment about Charlie giving away reckless fouls in dangerous areas but he’d 100% would’ve been up for the game. Maybe this is the reason for the recklessness. The comment about the sack full of money is harsh. He works in the media and was asked a question which he answered. Whether we agree with him or not is hardly a problem. It’s only an opinion. 
Marshall tried time and again to cut out passes that’s why he was usually on his arse when Abada was running in on goal. 

The manager I agree with you on although if we went there with a defensive shape we’d have been angry at not going there with an intention of having a go. A shockingly bad day at the office but extremely harsh to bring their professionalism and attitude into it. 

The only surprise for me yesterday was that there seemed to be a lot of Dees who genuinely thought we'd get a result before the game kicked off. TBH I never expected 6 but I thought we'd do well to keep it at a difference of 2. McPake's loyalty to a group of players who struggled to get out of the Championship is going to hurt us. Just because we beat a terrible Killie team twice doesn't suddenly make us equipped to do well in the top league. We desperately need new blood in otherwise it's going to be a long long season. 2 full backs and a centre half at the very minimum

Reflection on yesterday’s game, probably very boring but feel like I need to get it out.

I said it before kick off and it looks like I was right that McPake was naive in the way he set up that team yesterday. I think he’s seen Celtic play their last few games and thought we can get at them - and in a sense he’s right, they’re bearable certainly and nowhere near the levels they have been over the last 10 years however even at their worst they still have much more talent in their side than we do by a long way. I don’t think McPake has shown them enough respect and thought that by going 4-3-3 and pressing them high up the park we could out play them and as it was we were picked off for fun and hammered as a result.

I think he should have gone with a back 5, dropped McGhee into CB and am actually think he should have dropped Adam. I don’t think Adam had the legs to play teams like Rangers and Celtic where we will send 80% of the game chasing the ball. I’d have gone with Byrne, McGowan and Robertson in the middle of the park. If we could shitfest a 0-0 with 30 mins to go then by all means bring him on as he’s clearly by far and away our most creative and talented player but I just don’t think he has the legs to play in those games.

Id have gone with a 5-3-2 and played McMullan up top with Sheridan or Cummings. He’s definitely not a natural goal scorer McMullan but he’ll run about like a wee dafty and chase things down and get in behind for flick ons etc.

I know some people didn’t agree with me before the game about going with a back 5 but when they’ve got guys like Rogic, McGregor and Christie it’s essential to plug as many gaps as possible so they can’t get the ball down the sides of the centre backs which they did with ease yesterday. I find it difficult to criticise Ashcroft and Sweeney yesterday as they were on a hiding to nothing with that setup. We know theyre not the type of defenders who want to be getting turned and they needed much more protection yesterday.

Also thought McGowan had a bit of a shocker. I’ve watched Celtic a couple of times this season and when they get the ball their full backs come inside and play as centre mids. I could see this so surely to f**k McGowan and McPake could? Time and time again yesterday McGowan looked bewildered as Ralston came inside and didn’t know what the f**k to do - just follow him in there ffs.

Like I said, that Celtic side are definitely beatable and they’re not as good as we made them look yesterday but we had absolutely no chance trying to play the way we did.

Hopefully a learning experience for McPake as it’s the first time as a manager he’s played a side where we’re not expected to win. I know we have played Hearts and United in the Championship but we were still expected to win those matches. Those games certainly won’t define our season but it’s important we learn from them.

26 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Elliott got the mental capacity to come back from that humiliation? Probably worse than a leg injury to overcome.

Thank you.

Ryan Christie didn't even have to try to get that ball off him yesterday before crossing it in. Elliot must be a good bit heavier and taller than him and Ryan Christie brushed him off the ball like he wasn't even there. I'd go mental if my boy gave up a ball that easily in the under-10s. Especially as he's 17 years old but that's by the by. 

Never mind the 3rd goal, the 2nd goal is the damning indictment for Elliott. That goal happens because Ashcroft has to overextend due to Elliott getting so badly destroyed by Ryan Christie. Again, if yesterday didn't open McPake's eyes on where we need improvement I don't know what will.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

16 minutes ago, mev said:

The comments on here from the Celtic game are so depressing.  I think I'll go and read The Grapes of Wrath.  At least it's a wee bit cheerier. 

It does get a bit OTT in here with the negativity at times. It's never going to be some laugh after a heavy defeat, but f**k me man, some folk have got us relegated on the back of that one result. We won't be the last team Celtic and Kyogo put to the sword this season. Having said that, we didn't exactly make it difficult for them. 

Just 9 or 10 more signings before the window closes and we'll be sweet. 

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Never mind the 3rd goal, the 2nd goal is the damning indictment for Elliott. That goal happens because Ashcroft has to extend due to Elliott getting so badly destroyed by Ryan Christie. Again, if yesterday didn't open McPake's eyes on where we need improvement I don't know what will.

People can say what they like about Cammy Kerr but there's not a chance he'd have been destroyed by Ryan Christie the way Elliott was.