All things Dundee FC

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

We really missed the boat when we went back for a second bite at McCann rather than throwing everything at Jack Ross. Felt like that at the time and still do now. I doubt he would have actually come to Dens regardless, but why he was apparently second choice after McCann just baffles me.

We've a history of that all the way back to the Bonetti era.

Bernd Schuster was 2nd choice to Bonetti. Derek McInnes lost out to Alex Rae. Craig Brown and Billy Davies lost out to Jocky in his third spell (although wages were also an apparent barrier in this one too). Neil McCann was preferred to Jack Ross and of course, McPake was first choice over Jim Goodwin.

Wouldn't be too upset if McPake left, problem being that Nelms would be in charge of picking the next one.
This will always be a concern. Our very good finish to last season got Nelms and McPake off the hook bigtime. There was near unanimity in wanting McPake binned before that run of results, and tbh we're probably only a handful of defeats from being back in that situation. That said there's absolutely nobody obvious out there that's available that could do a decent job, and Nelms is incapable of unearthing a "gem".

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

We've a history of that all the way back to the Bonetti era.

Bernd Schuster was 2nd choice to Bonetti. Derek McInnes lost out to Alex Rae. Craig Brown and Billy Davies lost out to Jocky in his third spell (although wages were also an apparent barrier in this one too). Neil McCann was preferred to Jack Ross and of course, McPake was first choice over Jim Goodwin.

Yeah, it's a real sickener. The frustrating thing about McCann though, is for once fate actually tried to stop us shooting ourselves in the dick when he K'B'd us to begin with, that should have been the sign that Ross was the correct choice all along, but nope...

So, McPake pisses off to Milton Keynes, Joachim Low applies, and we end up with Gary Holt after 1st choice Charlie Adam decides to concentrate on playing for the time being. Seems to be how this works when it comes to Dundee FC

6 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
13 minutes ago, Den Spark said:
Wouldn't be too upset if McPake left, problem being that Nelms would be in charge of picking the next one.

This will always be a concern. Our very good finish to last season got Nelms and McPake off the hook bigtime. There was near unanimity in wanting McPake binned before that run of results, and tbh we're probably only a handful of defeats from being back in that situation. That said there's absolutely nobody obvious out there that's available that could do a decent job, and Nelms is incapable of unearthing a "gem".

Yup.

I remember posting in around about March that I thought it would still be entirely justified saying 'thanks for everything' to McPake even if he got us up via the playoffs. I still feel like that now. I was honestly shocked and pleasantly surprised that we managed it, but in reality we had a burst of form late in the season, only snatched 2nd on the final weekend, beat a good Raith side (granted, but we should be beating them given the disparity in resources) and were fortunate to come up against an absolute gang of a Killie outfit. I totally respect the commitment he's shown and ordinarily I'm all for the intangible things like 'building a culture' at a club, continuity etc, but the harsh reality is that we've been utter pish for 3/4's of his time as manager, struggled in a really poor Championship, and had we not turned up for the Playoffs and perhaps been beaten by a half-decent Raith side, I think it would have been entirely realistic to say that most of us would not have hesitated to move on.

I've said it before, but I still don't really have any faith in him to be the guy who will keep us in the Premiership. That's not because I don't believe he has it in him to one day be a decent manager, it's based on the fact that in both his seasons in charge it's taken him until March to remedy what I thought were some pretty obvious, basic, and easily fixed flaws with his team. I do give him credit for dealing with that, eventually, but if it's the same story this season then we are up the creek already because we won't be able to dig ourselves out of the shit when we're one of the poorest teams in the league rather than an underperforming 'big' side.

And yes, if he does leave, I'm far less concerned about losing McPake than I am over who on earth Nelms hires next. Given the paucity of obvious candidates, I think it's entirely likely we end up with Fontaine or Adam in some sort of player/manager setup, but that doesn't enthuse me at all. Not only do neither of them have any experience whatsoever in management, but both are still hugely important pieces in the playing side, and I don't think we can afford to complicate things by expecting them to take a management role as well.

Before this game this was known. Nothing has changed even after this game. Marshall getting sent off that has annoyed me more. 

This is how I feel really. The draw with St Mirren was far more relevant. We’ve lost 6 to Celtic countless times before and will continue to until the end of time.

Weird with the red cards though. None all last season and suddenly 2 in 2. Both very avoidable too.

Wouldn’t count on getting anything against Hibs so could really do with at least 4 points from Motherwell and Livingston before the derby.

This is how I feel really. The draw with St Mirren was far more relevant. We’ve lost 6 to Celtic countless times before and will continue to until the end of time.

Weird with the red cards though. None all last season and suddenly 2 in 2. Both very avoidable too.

Wouldn’t count on getting anything against Hibs so could really do with at least 4 points from Motherwell and Livingston before the derby.
After their result today the Livingston game looks like the proverbial 6 pointer.